Jesus Wasn't the Only Man to Be Crucified. Here's the History Behind This Brutal Practice.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The most famous crucifixion in the world took place when, according to the New Testament, Jesus was put to death by the Romans. But he was far from the only person who perished on the cross.

In antiquity, thousands upon thousands of people were crucified, which at the time was considered to be one of the most brutal and shameful ways to die. In Rome, the crucifixion process was a long one, entailing scourging (more on that later) before the victim was nailed and hung from the cross.
How did this terrible death sentence begin? And what types of people were usually crucified? Here's a look at the history of this savage practice.

• Banned
^ Crucifixion most likely began with the Assyrians and Babylonians, and it was also practiced systematically by the by the Persians in the sixth century B.C., according to a 2003 report in the South African Medical Journal (SAMJ). At this time, the victims were usually tied, feet dangling, to a tree or post; crosses weren't used until Roman times, according to the report.

From there, Alexander the Great, who invaded Persia as he built his empire, brought the practice to eastern Mediterranean countries in the fourth century B.C. But Roman officials weren't aware of the practice until they encountered it while fighting Carthage during the Punic Wars in the third century B.C.

For the next 500 years, the Romans "perfected crucifixion" until Constantine I abolished it in the fourth century A.D., co-authors Francois Retief and Louise Cilliers, professors in the Department of English and Classical Culture at the University of the Free State in South Africa, wrote in the SAMJ report.

crosses weren't used until Roman times, according to the report.

To be fair, a cross is a fairly sophisticated piece of carpentry, a tight fitting cross lap joint, iron nails and animal glue (to be strong enough to support the weight of a struggling man.

Although the Egyptians had this technology as early as 1500 CE, it is doubtful they would have used leading edge woodworking on an execution device when so many more simple methods were available.

The most famous crucifixion in the world took place when, according to the New Testament, Jesus was put to death by the Romans. But he was far from the only person who perished on the cross.

In antiquity, thousands upon thousands of people were crucified, which at the time was considered to be one of the most brutal and shameful ways to die. In Rome, the crucifixion process was a long one, entailing scourging (more on that later) before the victim was nailed and hung from the cross.
How did this terrible death sentence begin? And what types of people were usually crucified? Here's a look at the history of this savage practice.

The cross was the chosen means of execution by Ronan’s. There were hundreds of people who called themselves “messiah”. All were killed for trying to get the romans out of Jerusalem. And that doesn’t include the other types of criminals.

To be fair, a cross is a fairly sophisticated piece of carpentry, a tight fitting cross lap joint, iron nails and animal glue (to be strong enough to support the weight of a struggling man.

Although the Egyptians had this technology as early as 1500 CE, it is doubtful they would have used leading edge woodworking on an execution device when so many more simple methods were available.
Crucifixion is a variant of death by exposure, basically tying someone to a tree and leaving them for the scavengers. The cave men probably did it. I've also heard it suggested that Crucifixion in Jesus' day was actually done with both wrists nailed to a single post and the feet nailed through the heels on the sides of the post.

• Banned

This too, from that piece:

In antiquity, thousands upon thousands of people were crucified, which at the time was considered to be one of the “most brutal and shameful ways to die”.

I think you forgot the most important one. . . Odin hanging himself from Yggdrasil (the tree of life) to give the Norse the wisdom of the Elder Futhark. (symbols of prophecy and wisdom, i.e. symbolic language.)

odinsacrifice17.jpg

Odin's Self-sacrifice" (1908) by W. G. Collingwood. Image via Wikipedia

“…I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run.

No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there..."

Thus, in his never-ending search for wisdom and knowledge, Odin once again, paid the highest price as possible. He learned nine magic songs and eighteen highly powerful charms; with spells he could heal emotional and physical wounds. The magic he learned made it possible for him to bind and defeat his enemies, making their weapons totally useless.

Armed with the knowledge of the many mysteries of the runes and their enormous power, Odin composed the following verse:

“….Then I was fertilized and became wise; I truly grew and thrived. From a word to a word I was led to a word, From a work to a work I was led to a work…” (as cited by Roy Jackson, in “Viking: Viking Mythology: Ancient Myths, Gods and Warriors), who adds that the source of this poem is believed to be an Old Norse Poem, once part of the “Poetic Edda”.

Our day "Wednesday," is named after Odin. It is Wōdnesdæg.

According to Seneca, crucifixion was a long, unremitting affair in which the victim would be “wasting away in pain, dying limb by limb, letting out his life drop by drop . . . fastened to the accursed tree, long sickly, already deformed, swelling with ugly tumors on chest and shoulders, and drawing the breath of life amid long-drawn-out agony.”

Never seen Kubrick's 1960 classic Sparticus?

The cross was the chosen means of execution by Ronan’s. There were hundreds of people who called themselves “messiah”. All were killed for trying to get the romans out of Jerusalem. And that doesn’t include the other types of criminals.

Hundreds of Messiahs? I knew of 13 contenders.

Most Christians were taught about the two thieves who were crucified along with Jesus. Logic would indicate that if thieves were crucified by the Romans it was a common practice. Maybe archeologists missed that class.

I think all adults, along with most children, already know that Jesus was not the only person to be crucified.

It needs to be: People were crucified on a cross, before Jesus was crucified on a cross. Jesus was the Lord of glory. His legs would have been broken had Jesus be a man.

Hundreds of Messiahs? I knew of 13 contenders.

The concept of The Moshiach in Judaism dates back to the Babylonian Exile in 800BCE.

In the intervening eight centuries between then and the widely accepted choice of Jesus as a Jewish Messiah, by everyone except Jews, there must have been hundreds, maybe thousands, of persons coming forward, or being pushed forward, to accept the title. Most of whom we have never heard of.

The concept of The Moshiach in Judaism dates back to the Babylonian Exile in 800BCE.

In the intervening eight centuries between then and the widely accepted choice of Jesus as a Jewish Messiah, by everyone except Jews, there must have been hundreds, maybe thousands, of persons coming forward, or being pushed forward, to accept the title. Most of whom we have never heard of.
The cross was a torturing device. The law of man does the same kind of thing. Evil men use scripture to do the same thing. Christs enemies did that. They were chastised for teaching the doctrines the commandments of men.

Yes...it's used by several difference civilizations/governments as punishment....even the Germans used it in the con-centration camps.

I know that some considered Cyrus the Great to be the Messiah.

I know that some considered Cyrus the Great to be the Messiah.
Jewish people were looking for a superman like being. Jewish people conceptualized Superman. Superman cannot save the soul of anyone. Superman cannot dwell in the soul of anyone, keeping them out of Satan's prison for final judgment. People did not know the Bible as well as they should have known it. 1 Peter 3:19 - 20, KJV.

New Topics

Forum List

Back