Jesus Christ.

Scripture and verse, please??

It has already been posted, you moron

Matthew 19:21

The rich ruler loved money more than God.

If you love your computer or your car or your money more than you love God, you should sell them and give the money to the Church or to the poor.

If you spend you money on a computer and an internet connection so that you can spend your time on the Internet, instead of giving the money to help the needy as God has requested, which are you putting first?

a) Your love of material possessions
b) Your love for God

That is Jesus talking to one man who, obviously, didn't want to give up his worldly possessions to go and follow Jesus and the disciples on their journey.
It is a parable meant to teach us not to covet the things of this world over our Heavenly kingdom that is promised to us for following His commandments.
There is no commandment of poverty.

And yet it was still a prominent teaching to someone, even though not a commandment. But clearly it doesn't count for you because if you interpret it as a parable, you don't need to sell your computer to instead devote more time to Jesus instead of wasting it on a forum.

It's ok everyone! It doesn't count!

This is the point I like to make, over and over, in the hopes that someday, one of these wingnut christians will realize their stupid hypocrisy:

Christians regularly reject Christs own words. Christ, who speaks for God Himself, says that people should sell their possessions and help the poor, and "followers of Christ":lol::lol: like hortysir will go to any length in order to pretend that it means God does NOT want people to sell their possessions and help the poor.

"God said it's voluntary, so it's OK if I don't do it" says the wingnut:cuckoo:

That is Jesus talking to one man who, obviously, didn't want to give up his worldly possessions to go and follow Jesus and the disciples on their journey.
It is a parable meant to teach us not to covet the things of this world over our Heavenly kingdom that is promised to us for following His commandments.

And yet it was still a prominent teaching to someone, even though not a commandment. But clearly it doesn't count for you because if you interpret it as a parable, you don't need to sell your computer to instead devote more time to Jesus instead of wasting it on a forum.

I don't value my possessions more than my relationship with Him.
If you knew just a small portion of my life you would see the time that I have spent without the comfort of most of the basics.

This is the point I like to make, over and over, in the hopes that someday, one of these wingnut christians will realize their stupid hypocrisy:

Christians regularly reject Christs own words. Christ, who speaks for God Himself, says that people should sell their possessions and help the poor, and "followers of Christ":lol::lol: like hortysir will go to any length in order to pretend that it means God does NOT want people to sell their possessions and help the poor.

If that is what it takes to help the poor, then by all means do it.
It is not a commandment. And it does not say for PEOPLE to sell THEIR possessions.
Like I said it was a conversation with 1 man about his personal salvation.

Take note that nowhere in my exchange with either of you have I insulted or called names.

The story is a parable...no man can reach heaven through works.

The 'hint', so to speak, is Jesus asking why the Ruler calls him good.
"None is good but one, that is God." Matt 19:17
The Ruler asks what works will earn him eternal life.

Jesus says to keep all the Commandments...IOW never commit a sin.

Only one man has ever lived without sin, and that was God as man...Jesus.

But the Ruler claims to have achieved this perfect life.

So Jesus says, "If you want to be perfect...sell your belongings..."

Jesus knows this is a bridge too far for the Ruler.

(BTW, Jesus is using the calling to Discipleship...a call to a path that is not for every Christian. See Luke 14 verse 25-34...and even disciples aren't perfect, so Jesus may be describing Himself.)

Then Jesus speaks of the Camel through the needle...all the works of man could not get a camel through the eye of a needle, but through the Grace of God, it is possible.

Last edited:

The teaching is "You cannot reach Heaven though works".

It has already been posted, you moron

Matthew 19:21

Proverbs 10:22 (NIV)
The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.

Actually, the commandment of poverty is implicit in the biblical citation. The ONLY WAY for the man to attain salvation was for him to sell everything he owned. If you own something you don't need for survival, then you have coveted it. Jesus Himself says it is better to give it away (or sell it and give the proceeds away) so your possession of it covetous

Your quote speaks of wealth, not material possessions. The Bible clearly distinguishes between the two.

Jesus taught that being rich makes us love money more then God, thus he said it was next to impossible for a rich man to make to heaven. A rich man still can get to heaven but Jesus said it was extremely difficult. If you keep your wealth in proper perspective it won't hold you back....because wealth can be used for good.

But then again being rich is subjective. Material possessions is the same as wealth. I suggest you give all your possessions away to the poor and become poor and see how happy you are afterward. I believe you'll end up jumping off a bridge or driving off a cliff pretty soon. :eusa_angel:

It is not a commandment. And it does not say for PEOPLE to sell THEIR possessions.

Take note that nowhere in my exchange with either of you have I insulted or called names.

So what if it's not a commandment? All you have proven with that statement is that I was right to say you will go to any length in order to deny or ignore Gods Will.

Not having homosexual sex is also not a commandment according to christian doctrine, but christian doctrine still asserts that it is wrong and immoral. Your implication that Christians only have to be abide by Gods' commandments is a direct denial of Free Will

Similarly, selling your possessions is not a commandment, but it is what the Bible says God wants you to do and the Bible says it is required for salvation. And while he was speaking to one specific man, there is nothing in what Jesus says that supports your claim that his words only applied to that one man

As I said, you will go to any length to ignore The Word of God. God says you should sell you possessions, and you want to pretend that means you should not sell your possessions:cuckoo:

(BTW, Jesus is using the calling to Discipleship...a call to a path that is not for every Christian. See Luke 14 verse 25-34...and even disciples aren't perfect, so Jesus may be describing Himself.)

Then Jesus speaks of the Camel through the needle...all the works of man could not get a camel through the eye of a needle, but through the Grace of God, it is possible.

It is nice to see a christian with an education about his faith. They are so few and far between

Actually, the commandment of poverty is implicit in the biblical citation. The ONLY WAY for the man to attain salvation was for him to sell everything he owned. If you own something you don't need for survival, then you have coveted it. Jesus Himself says it is better to give it away (or sell it and give the proceeds away) so your possession of it covetous

Your quote speaks of wealth, not material possessions. The Bible clearly distinguishes between the two.

Jesus taught that being rich makes us love money more then God, thus he said it was next to impossible for a rich man to make to heaven. A rich man still can get to heaven but Jesus said it was extremely difficult. If you keep your wealth in proper perspective it won't hold you back....because wealth can be used for good.

But then again being rich is subjective. Material possessions is the same as wealth. I suggest you give all your possessions away to the poor and become poor and see how happy you are afterward. I believe you'll end up jumping off a bridge or driving off a cliff pretty soon. :eusa_angel:

Once again, a christian goes to great lengths to deny The Word of God. The bible is quite clear that wealth does not mean material possessions. He also goes to great lengths to justify his ownership of a computer

WRT my giving up my possessions - I would do so if I were a christian. Fortunately, I do not follow any of the violent Abrahamic religions

So what if it's not a commandment? All you have proven with that statement is that I was right to say you will go to any length in order to deny or ignore Gods Will.

Not having homosexual sex is also not a commandment according to christian doctrine, but christian doctrine still asserts that it is wrong and immoral. Your implication that Christians only have to be abide by Gods' commandments is a direct denial of Free Will

Similarly, selling your possessions is not a commandment, but it is what the Bible says God wants you to do and the Bible says it is required for salvation. And while he was speaking to one specific man, there is nothing in what Jesus says that supports your claim that his words only applied to that one man

As I said, you will go to any length to ignore The Word of God. God says you should sell you possessions, and you want to pretend that means you should not sell your possessions:cuckoo:

It is nice to see a christian with an education about his faith. They are so few and far between

Once again, a christian goes to great lengths to deny The Word of God. The bible is quite clear that wealth does not mean material possessions. He also goes to great lengths to justify his ownership of a computer

WRT my giving up my possessions - I would do so if I were a christian. Fortunately, I do not follow any of the violent Abrahamic religions
Missourian, Mudwhisle and I have all said the same thing, but in different ways, yet your responses vary drastically.
Are you bipolar or simply retarded??
:cuckoo:

Missourian, Mudwhisle and I have all said the same thing, but in different ways, yet your responses vary drastically.

If you think that you've all been saying the same thing, then this is just more proof that you don't understand what is being said.

And I guess you just proved yourself a hypocrit for bragging about how you haven't insulted anyone. Or maybe your delusions include the belief that "bipolar or simply retarded" is not insulting.

And please don't think I'm insulted by your childish one-liners. I merely enjoy pointing out your hypocritical lies

If you think that you've all been saying the same thing, then this is just more proof that you don't understand what is being said.

And I guess you just proved yourself a hypocrit for bragging about how you haven't insulted anyone. Or maybe your delusions include the belief that "bipolar or simply retarded" is not insulting.

And please don't think I'm insulted by your childish one-liners. I merely enjoy pointing out your hypocritical lies
Then, maybe, I am the retarded one.
Could you explain how our responses differ?

Sure. I always willing to educate the retarded when they ask nicely

The post you are agreeing with does not show that you should not sell your possessions. What it shows is that Good Acts, such as selling your possessions, are not enough to gain salvation. You can do all the Good Acts you can possibly do, but that won't gaurantee your salvation. Salvation requires Grace because humans cannot be without sin.

However, saying that Good Acts are no gaurantee of salvation is not the same as saying that Good Acts are not required to be saved. It merely means that Good Acts are not the only requirement.
2)

Let's face it. You're a bigot. A piece of crap. You don't listen to anything we've been telling you.

You call us liars and all you do is lie yourself.

Anyone who wasted their time talking to swine like you outta have their head examined.

:anj_stfu::ahole-1:

The post you are agreeing with does not show that you should not sell your possessions. What it shows is that Good Acts, such as selling your possessions, are not enough to gain salvation. You can do all the Good Acts you can possibly do, but that won't gaurantee your salvation. Salvation requires Grace because humans cannot be without sin.

However, saying that Good Acts are no gaurantee of salvation is not the same as saying that Good Acts are not required to be saved. It merely means that Good Acts are not the only requirement.
2)
Fair enough.
Sometimes in my attempt to keep my responses short and to the point I fail to make my point clear enough.
I repped and thanked Missourian for conveying the message more clearly.

I think you might find this an interesting article, Shanga:
Why do Americans claim to be more religious than they are? - By Shankar Vedantam - Slate Magazine

Hadaway estimated that if the number of Americans who told Gallup pollsters that they attended church in the last week were accurate, about 118 million Americans would be at houses of worship each week

Let's face it. You're a bigot. A piece of crap. You don't listen to anything we've been telling you.

You call us liars and all you do is lie yourself.

Anyone who wasted their time talking to swine like you outta have their head examined.

:anj_stfu::ahole-1:

And again, another wingnut has been rendered incapable of posting substantively. All he can do is post childish taunts

2)
Fair enough.
Sometimes in my attempt to keep my responses short and to the point I fail to make my point clear enough.

Why do Americans claim to be more religious than they are? - By Shankar Vedantam - Slate Magazine

Hadaway estimated that if the number of Americans who told Gallup pollsters that they attended church in the last week were accurate, about 118 million Americans would be at houses of worship each week

That article makes a point similar to mine - christians are not very christian in their behavior or their beliefs. Christians are, as a group, a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrits who want to use the govt to control everyones' life while whining about how the govt is controlling their life. And christians will use any lie in support of their own, non-christian, desires. They don't like paying taxes, so they claim that Jesus opposed taxes. Even lying about God is OK for a christian if it helps them get what they want

Last edited:

2)
Fair enough.

That article makes a point similar to mine -

christians are not very christian in their behavior or their beliefs.

Christians are, as a group, a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrits who want to use the govt to control everyones' life while whining about how the govt is controlling their life.

And christians will use any lie in support of their own, non-christian, desires. They don't like paying taxes, so they claim that Jesus opposed taxes. Even lying about God is OK for a christian if it helps them get what they want

Speaking of using anything to support your assertion... :eusa_whistle:

Considering that only 56.8% of the US population actually turned up to vote in the last presidential election, which was actually considered a high turn-out...How many of those 132,618,580 people, most of whom voted for president Obama, would you consider "a bunch of sanctimonious Christian hypocrites who want to use the govt to control everyone's life"...?

Despite however many voters may actually be Christian...You certainly could not assert their general behavior as a GROUP based on those numbers...?

Last edited:
Fair enough.

That article makes a point similar to mine -

christians are not very christian in their behavior or their beliefs.

Christians are, as a group, a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrits who want to use the govt to control everyones' life while whining about how the govt is controlling their life.

And christians will use any lie in support of their own, non-christian, desires. They don't like paying taxes, so they claim that Jesus opposed taxes. Even lying about God is OK for a christian if it helps them get what they want

Speaking of using anything to support your assertion... :eusa_whistle:

Considering that only 56.8% of the US population actually turned up to vote in the last presidential election, which was actually considered a high turn-out...How many of those 132,618,580 people, most of whom voted for president Obama, would you consider "a bunch of sanctimonious Christian hypocrites who want to use the govt to control everyone's life"...?

Despite however many voters may actually be Christian...You certainly could not assert their general behavior as a GROUP based on those numbers...?

As far as the christians who voted for Obama, I suspect that most of them are sactimonious Christian hypocrits who want to use the govt to control everyone's life. The urge to control is strong, and is not limited to one side of the political spectrum

I would not use "christians who voted for Obama" as if it were representative of "christians, as a group". Basically, you're comparing apples (christians who voted for Obama) and oranges (all christians)

That's just bad logic

Forum List

Back