Jam, jelly or preserves?

Jam, jelly or preserves?

• Total voters
Here is a picture of jam, jelly and preserves. I prefer jam because jelly is too much like jello, and jam is easier to spread and has a more intense flavor. I don't like the big pieces of fruit in preserves.

Oops, almost forgot the picture. :D

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg

Jelly... Jam... Conserves.

ALL 3 are Fruit Preserves!
:lol:

Well, I've always known it as preserves and that's what I'm calling it! :funnyface:

That's interesting because I am from the north and I do prefer jam. I know people here who like preserves better though. I just don't like the big chunks in mine.

What I meant was, I thought they were the same thing but just called different names depending on north or south.

That's interesting because I am from the north and I do prefer jam. I know people here who like preserves better though. I just don't like the big chunks in mine.

What I meant was, I thought they were the same thing but just called different names depending on north or south.

Well, there is a difference between the three. Like I said, jam is smooth with no chunks or very little. Preserves is pretty chunky. Jelly is more jello-like.

That's right! I said "preserves" again! :D

:rolleyes: Just pick one and stop being so anal about it.

:D
anal - another word for 'technically speaking'...not that there's a thing wrong with that!

Since I don't dwell in technicalities, nor in England - in my tiny corner of the world, marmalade is made with citrus, pulp and peel - jam is distinguished from preserves by the chunkiness of the fruit.

For many years I made my own jam - and still make orange marmalade every January. Pears were always turned into 'preserves' - the home grown pears were hard and gritty - commonly called sand pears - shredded, cooked until tender with sugar and lemon juice - sometimes adding crushed pineapple. Not overly sweet and delicious on ice cream.

:rolleyes: Just pick one and stop being so anal about it.

:D
anal - another word for 'technically speaking'...not that there's a thing wrong with that!

Since I don't dwell in technicalities, nor in England - in my tiny corner of the world, marmalade is made with citrus, pulp and peel - jam is distinguished from preserves by the chunkiness of the fruit.

For many years I made my own jam - and still make orange marmalade every January. Pears were always turned into 'preserves' - the home grown pears were hard and gritty - commonly called sand pears - shredded, cooked until tender with sugar and lemon juice - sometimes adding crushed pineapple. Not overly sweet and delicious on ice cream.

I've never made my own before. I bet that is soooo good.

I like raspberry jam the best, I think, the seedless kind. I don't like the seeds in it. That could be just me though. I'm particular about texture of food for some reason.

Someone mentioned that they didn't care for preserves because of the chunky pieces of fruit - on a sandwich or toast I agree...but let me tell about a use for apricot preserves that is so yummy your tongue will beat itself to death on the roof of your mouth.

Cheap chicken parts - legs and thighs - excess fat trimmed but skin left on. Salt, pepper and garlic salt both sides - sprinkle curry powder on top. Bake on rack in hot oven until skin is browned and crispy (and meat cooked through of course) - remove from oven and generously spread on apricot preserves - stick under broiler until preserves are bubbly and caramelized. Deliciousness! and the non-skin eaters can peel it off (along with all the flavor. lol)

My favorite is strawberry "preserves" ...but it is actually jam. Eat an overeasy egg and toast with jam every Sat and Sun morning.

NOT jelly. It just sits there, all congealed-like, refusing to smush itself into mah bread or toast. It. Is. Gross.

Forum List

Back