Jam, jelly or preserves?

Jam, jelly or preserves?

• Total voters
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between jelly and jam? I ask because I once got a jar of jam by mistake and my mom was not all too thrilled about it.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Jelly probably contains the most gelatin out of the three. The other two are more like fruit spreads. Preserves is chunky. Jam is more smooth.

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg

Preserves. I like the fruit chunks.

I'm weird about things like that. I'm really sensitive to textures in foods. Having the big pieces of fruit is kind of like having lumpy mashed potatoes for me.

I've really only ever had strawberry preserves though, and that has some really big pieces. If the pieces weren't so big, it might not bother me so much.

I'm weird about things like that. I'm really sensitive to textures in foods. Having the big pieces of fruit is kind of like having lumpy mashed potatoes for me.

I've really only ever had strawberry preserves though, and that has some really big pieces. If the pieces weren't so big, it might not bother me so much.

The more texture the better for me. Chunky peanut butter, bread with nuts and seeds in it, and preserves would make the best pb&j for me.

The more texture the better for me. Chunky peanut butter, bread with nuts and seeds in it, and preserves would make the best pb&j for me.

Lol! That's funny you say that because I don't like chunky peanut butter either. I feel the same way about it that I do about preserves. :lol:

Then make your own :poke:that way you can control the size of the fruit. DON'T use a blender, it puts too much air & makes it frothy like. Either cut/chop the fruit small or use a tater masher.

Not sure how to get the seeds out of raspberry jam, unless you can find the seedless variety but may taste different, IDK. Or just go with jelly instead. Also, I don't recommend buying the fruit from the grocery store....instead go to the farmer's market or the berry field directly. I find they are fresher & better flavor then cold storage, shipped from who knows where at the store.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between jelly and jam? I ask because I once got a jar of jam by mistake and my mom was not all too thrilled about it.

Holly

Jelly is made from just the juice of berries.....no pieces of fruit. Jam does have fruit & juice mixed together
Thank you. :) :) :)

Holly

Jelly probably contains the most gelatin out of the three. The other two are more like fruit spreads. Preserves is chunky. Jam is more smooth.

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg
Thank you for the picture! :) :) :)

God bless you two always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

The difference between a jelly, jam, chutney, marmalade and fruit butter
Jellied products can be made in a variety of methods. Options include jellies, jams, preserves, conserves, marmalades, fruit butters, fruit honeys, and fruit syrups. Each product is made using a different form of the fruit.

Jellies are made from fruit juice and sugar, most are cooked but there are some recipes for jellies that are refrigerated without cooking. Jellies are clear and should hold their shape yet be tender. The flavor should be a good fruit flavor with the right amount of sweetness.

Jams are made by crushing fruit with sugar. Jams are usually thick and sweet but not as firm as jelly. Jams should be spreadable. Preserves, on the other hand, use whole small fruits or pieces of fruit in a gelled syrup. The pieces of fruit should be transparent to clear and the color should be characteristic of the fruit from which it is made.

Conserves are a lot like jam but are made from combining fruit and sometimes raisins, nuts, and coconut.

Marmalades are usually made of citrus fruits and contain pieces of the peel suspended in a transparent jelly.

Fruit butter utilizes the pulp of the fruit, cooked with sugar into a thick spreadable mixture. Many fruit butters are enhanced by adding spices to them.

Fruit honey and syrup are made when fruit juice and sugar is cooked to a thickened consistency that can be poured.

Pretty self explanatory. Jam, jelly or preserves? Which one do you like best?
Which one is marmalade?

I didn't include marmalade. I don't know if I've ever had it before. :dunno:

I've only had orange marmalade. I can't even think of another kind to be honest... I suppose there are some... but orange is by far the most popular. It's really good, not unlike jam, it just contains some fruit peel... which sounds gross but it's not.

ChrisL .....to make it even easier & less expensive....try making the freezer jelly or jam (or both). You'll only have to buy the Sure-Jell pectin, some sort of freezer safe containers (just a couple of bucks at Walmart), cheesecloth for jelly, your berries & sugar....maybe some lemon juice. That is, IF you have room in your freezer.

To make both? Mash the berries then put in cheesecloth & let drip/drain all the juice off......measure this out for jelly recipe. If for some reason you don't have enough, you can pour enough water over the berries & let drain to make enough for the jelly recipe. Process according to the instructions for freezer jelly.

Then measure those crushed berries for jam/conserves/preserves.....again adding just enough water to fill the measurement IF needed. Process according to the instructions for freezer jam.

This way you get twice the end product and the choice of both jam & jelly from the same berries.

(yes, I'm a nag when trying to convince someone to can or preserve their own :p)

Pretty self explanatory. Jam, jelly or preserves? Which one do you like best?
Which one is marmalade?

I didn't include marmalade. I don't know if I've ever had it before. :dunno:

I've only had orange marmalade. I can't even think of another kind to be honest... I suppose there are some... but orange is by far the most popular. It's really good, not unlike jam, it just contains some fruit peel... which sounds gross but it's not.

I don't think I've had orange marmalade, unless I did when I was a kid and just don't remember.

Forum List

Back