I've fallen and I can't get up.

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
I'm going to get my mother one of those panic buttons she can wear around her neck or on her wrist. She's 94, and still lives alone, does all her own house cleaning and laundry. Does her own grocery shoppng, and teaches a sunday school class, and drives where ever she wants to go. The driving scares me, but I'm not brave enough to try to take her keys. . She might be around longer than me. Those buttons run from $20 per month to well over $100. Does anybody have any experence with these, or have any suggestions as to which features might be a MUST HAVE, or any that are just extra crap?

My mom is 89, and very independent, but she lives by herself and I am 7 hrs away, so has one.

I'm going to get my mother one of those panic buttons she can wear around her neck or on her wrist. She's 94, and still lives alone, does all her own house cleaning and laundry. Does her own grocery shoppng, and teaches a sunday school class, and drives where ever she wants to go. The driving scares me, but I'm not brave enough to try to take her keys. . She might be around longer than me. Those buttons run from $20 per month to well over $100. Does anybody have any experence with these, or have any suggestions as to which features might be a MUST HAVE, or any that are just extra crap?

I know zero about them, but your mom is awesome!

My mom is the same age. Also lives alone (but that ability is pretty much gone). Anyway, she used one for a few years. No crisis came up. However, there were a few times that the company needed to get alerted or contacted. They called me and my brother as per the agreement. They were pros. And we found them to be very helpful.

It was Life Alert.

Hope that helps.

Contact Medicare. Shouldn't run more than $20 a month.

My mother just turned 90. She lives with us, has her own bedroom, bath, and combo study, TV, and sewing room. She has fallen twice, but I bought one of those electric doorbell things with the ringer I can carry around; she has the button on a chain around her neck, and the signal reaches a couple of hundred feet. Cost about $10 when I bought it, takes two C cell batteries for the loud ass ringer and a small aaa for the button thing. Works great, and we got to her pretty quick. Also handy to have is one of those lift straps firemen and EMT's have, for picking people up. You can get them at Walmart, or used to be able to. Deadlifting people off the floor is not easy at all when you're old yourself.

Last edited:
My mom is the same age. Also lives alone (but that ability is pretty much gone). Anyway, she used one for a few years. No crisis came up. However, there were a few times that the company needed to get alerted or contacted. They called me and my brother as per the agreement. They were pros. And we found them to be very helpful.

It was Life Alert.

Hope that helps.
Life Alert is one that I'm looking at. They all seem to promise about the same thing. Of course that is just a promise. Can't afford to take any chances if it's needed.

Contact Medicare. Shouldn't run more than $20 a month.
You would think Medicare would be all over that, but they said no. I figured it would be considered a durable medical device,but her insurance says no.

Will your mom wear it at all times (like in the shower)?

If she wont it ain't gonna do no good.

My mother just turned 90. She lives with us, has her own bedroom, bath, and combo study, TV, and sewing room. She has fallen twice, but I bought one of those electric doorbell things with the ringer I can carry around; she has the button on a chain around her neck, and the signal reaches a couple of hundred feet. Cost about $10 when I bought it, takes two C cell batteries for the loud ass ringer and a small aaa for the button thing. Works great, and we got to her pretty quick. Also handy to have is one of those lift straps firemen and EMT's have, for picking people up. You can get them at Walmart, or used to be able to. Deadlifting people off the floor is not easy at all when you're old yourself.

That would work great if she didn't live alone.

I know zero about them, but your mom is awesome!
She's great, but well past worrying about what anyone might think about what she says. That sweet sounding Aunt Bea looking woman will rip you a new ass hole if you cross her.

My Mom turned 90 in May, lives by herself, drives, etc but I'm just 2.5 miles away if needed. We do get her groceries for her other than the little things she gets at the Mom & Pop down the street from her house.

The covid darn near took her out about a year ago, or so the doctors said. She was fully vaxxed.

They called me in thinking she was on death's doorstep. Nope, she awnry-ed her way through it though she had to go to rehab for a month due to the way it weakened her.

The thing that helps her is she always listens to people as far as what to do to recover so she was out sooner than expected.

I tried talking her into a Life Alert but she wasn't having any of it but at least she keeps her phone on her at all times now and knows how to use it.

Will your mom wear it at all times (like in the shower)?

If she wont it ain't gonna do no good.
I will certainly impress upon her how important it is to have it with her at all times, but she will do what she wants to do when she wants to do it.

She's great, but well past worrying about what anyone might think about what she says. That sweet sounding Aunt Bea looking woman will rip you a new ass hole if you cross her.

Yeah.

I had one of those.

You would think Medicare would be all over that, but they said no. I figured it would be considered a durable medical device,but her insurance says no.

I sure am surprised. Her insurance says no?

I sure am surprised. Her insurance says no?
Me too. It's not that much so I might just be nit picking, What's a few extra bucks compared to when it is needed? I'm just surprised at such a wide range when they all claim to do the same thing.

If she's still that active, just a cell phone is probably fine. Wait until she really starts losing it. Take her car keys when she starts banging into things trying to get turned around and gets lost coming come.

Forum List

Back