It's time to legalize Marijuana

If you disagree, then you've never smoked it and are incapable of contributing to the conversation. Because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Discuss.

Why is it time?
evidently he is high as hell right now.
I believe that california was the first state to make it illegal mostly due to mexicans that were sneaking in and using it.

Well you're a moron. So of course you believe that.
yes, lets prove you are a liberal and jump right to the name calling.
People like you are why its illegal.
Would you please move on and leave this thread, because you are completely uninformed about the subject? I can count several anti-gay, anti-hispanic, and anti-Obama threads under "Active Topics." You'd be much happier in one of those.
good chance Im more informed when it comes to drugs than you are.
your rationalization pretty much gives that away.

If you disagree, then you've never smoked it and are incapable of contributing to the conversation. Because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Discuss.

Why is it time?
That's a weird question. Because it was legal throughout all of human history, until it became an issue during the 1920's because white women were getting into Jazz music.

It's been time for... uh... forever! It's WAY pat time we end the bullshit!

What do we have to gain from legalizing marijuana?

Mexican Cartels lose a lot of money, our prison system is less stressed, we have a massive reduction in the number of illegal drug dealers, cops are safer, cops spend their time more productively...

I mean damn are you stupid? Is this hard for you? Do you want to tell us how we benefit by keeping it illegal?
I wonder what the pot dealers will start selling when they lose their business selling pot..
or do you think they will just go get a job at McDonalds or something flipping burgers.

Please enlighten us... what will criminal pot dealers do if marijuana is legalized and it stops benefiting them to be criminals?

Why is it time?
That's a weird question. Because it was legal throughout all of human history, until it became an issue during the 1920's because white women were getting into Jazz music.

Mexican Cartels lose a lot of money, our prison system is less stressed, we have a massive reduction in the number of illegal drug dealers, cops are safer, cops spend their time more productively...

I mean damn are you stupid? Is this hard for you? Do you want to tell us how we benefit by keeping it illegal?
I wonder what the pot dealers will start selling when they lose their business selling pot..
or do you think they will just go get a job at McDonalds or something flipping burgers.

Please enlighten us... what will criminal pot dealers do if marijuana is legalized and it stops benefiting them to be criminals?

First, you tell us how legalizing marijuana will destroy the black market.

jQhmdlX.gif

How will Mexican cartels lose money?
Are you kidding? I hope so.

No, I'm not kidding. Explain, please? When you're dome, I'll tell you why you're wrong.
Marijuana Legalization in Colorado Is Killing Mexican Drug Cartels

My concern is the Big F+*king Pharma will get their hands on it and poison the beauty of pot for profit and as usual the consumer gets the raw end of the deal.

I would like to learn how to grow it...Charlots Web is the hot plant right now.

It could hardly be easier. Likes sun, drinks water, doesn't like frost. Very hardy. The time to germinte seeds for outdoors is --- well, right about now.

First, you tell us how legalizing marijuana will destroy the black market.
Oh good fucking lord. What did legalizing alcohol after prohibition do to the alcohol black market? Do you know you fucking retard?

Why is it time?

Im sure they will suddenly realize that their only option is now going completely legal in their attempts at making money.
I mean, other than selling pot they would never consider doing anything wrong.
are you stupid or what?

Im sure they will suddenly realize that their only option is now going completely legal in their attempts at making money.
are you stupid or what?
Wow. I'll just ignore that. I'm sure during prohibition there were plenty of idiots like you saying the Mob wouldn't be affected by re-legalizing alcohol.

are you stupid or what?
Wow. I'll just ignore that. I'm sure during prohibition there were plenty of idiots like you saying the Mob wouldn't be affected by re-legalizing alcohol.
fire up another one you burnt out tard

Discuss.

I have no problem with decriminalizing smaller amounts but I don't want it legal.

You aren't going to prison for smoking a blunt on the stoop unless it's a violation of probation or parole. Fact.

Why is it time?

Continue to sell pot at a cheaper rate, more potent and/or mixed with other chemicals.

Way past time to de-criminalize Pot.

Overdue for 30 years.

Gateway drug, my pasty white ass.

It's not a gateway drug, the dealer is the gateway, not the Pot.

If Little Johnny and Mary could get their Pot from a non-dealer, from a retail outlet where other hard and VERY dangerous drugs are kept under lock and key, there would be less temptation to try something else.

Little Johnny and Mary leave home and go off to School or otherwise get out from the protective wings of Mom and Dad, try Pot and go, "Hmmm. This ain't so bad. Been doing it now for a year and I can take it or leave it. No addiction problem at all. So obviously, Mommy and Daddy were fibbing to me about how dangerous Pot is. Wonder if they were fibbing about Crack and Heroine, too? Let's find out"

It's hard for government to admit they were wrong about something. Especially the Law Enforcement wing of government. Very regressive people there. Very. They're one of the dumbest arms of government. And that's quite a feat.

Of course, they'll just use the cop-out of, Befehl ist Befehl

Way past time to de-criminalize Pot.

Overdue for 30 years.

Gateway drug, my pasty white ass.

It's not a gateway drug, the dealer is the gateway, not the Pot.

If Little Johnny and Mary could get their Pot from a non-dealer, from a retail outlet where other hard and VERY dangerous drugs are kept under lock and key, there would be less temptation to try something else.

Little Johnny and Mary leave home and go off to School or otherwise get out from the protective wings of Mom and Dad, try Pot and go, "Hmmm. This ain't so bad. Been doing it now for a year and I can take it or leave it. No addiction problem at all. So obviously, Mommy and Daddy were fibbing to me about how dangerous Pot is. Wonder if they were fibbing about Crack and Heroine, too? Let's find out"

It's hard for government to admit they were wrong about something. Especially the Law Enforcement wing of government. Very regressive people there. Very. They're one of the dumbest arms of government. And that's quite a feat.

Of course, they'll just use the cop-out of, Befehl ist Befehl

Now we are getting somewhere. It's got nothing to do with Little Johnny and Mary. It's about some white boys wanting to get their cut and look special doing it.

Continue to sell pot at a cheaper rate, more potent and/or mixed with other chemicals.
No, for the most part they wont. There is no massive underground alcohol black market and the reason is rather simple - you cant compete.

There is no way that people are going to buy their pot from a seedy source when there is a local store they can go and pick up what they want. There is also almost no way that the illegal sources are going to be able to compete with commercialization.

are you stupid or what?
Irrelevant.

The market for drugs is not going to suddenly shift when pot becomes legal (and you had best simply face the fact that it is going to happen). It is not like Bob is going to wake up one day and say damn, not that pot is legal I need to start doing crack.

What the dealers move onto really does not matter. The criminal element will have lost a MAJOR source of income and that is a good thing.

No, for the most part they wont. There is no massive underground alcohol black market and the reason is rather simple - you cant compete.

There is no way that people are going to buy their pot from a seedy source when there is a local store they can go and pick up what they want. There is also almost no way that the illegal sources are going to be able to compete with commercialization.

They already are! They do it now in Colorado. You just want to change the face of the dealer. Some white boys wanted to tap that cash. That's what I find amusing about this argument. It's got nothing to do with prisons. Even if it did, this is not about releasing people from prison. It will be about making sure they do time because they are dealing without a license. They will be cutting into someone's cash.

There are a lot of misconceptions about prohibition. You just needed a prescription for alcohol from your doctor to obtain it. What else was going on in a speakeasy? Gambling. What was the mob doing before hand? The same as they were doing during and after prohibition---protection money, prostitution, etc. Prior to prohibition was the Black Hand.........extortion. Italians had already been making wine in their backyards for years. People had distilleries in their back yards for years.

Frankly, I find the "legitimate" dealer seedier than the others because of the level of dishonesty that is thrown out there. Call it what it is. White boys wanted the cash and wanted to look "respectable" doing it.

Discuss.

Long past time really. I believe the main thing preventing the Feds and the States from enacting rational drug regulations is the lingering heritage of trying to enforce morality with legislation that trumps other inherited values like fierce defense of privacy and individual rights. I don't know if any of the original racial motivation still lingers. Huffpo reminds us....

The first anti-drug law in our country was a local law in San Francisco passed in 1875. It outlawed the smoking of opium and was directed at the Chinese because opium smoking was a peculiarly Chinese habit. It was believed that Chinese men were luring white women to have sex in opium dens. In 1909 Congress made opium smoking a federal offense by enacting the Anti-Opium Act. It reinforced Chinese racism by carving out an exception for drinking and injecting tinctures of opiates that were popular among whites.

And

Cocaine regulations also were triggered by racial prejudice. Cocaine use was associated with blacks just as opium use was associated with the Chinese. Newspaper articles bore racially charged headlines linking cocaine with violent, anti-social behavior by blacks. A 1914 NYT Digest article claimed that "most of the attacks upon women in the South are the direct result of the cocaine-crazed Negro brain."

And

Marijuana prohibition also had racist underpinnings. This time it was the Mexicans. Just as cocaine was associated with black violence and irrational behavior, in the southwest border towns marijuana was viewed -- beginning in the early 1920s -- as a cause of Mexican lawlessness.

Anyway I think the majority of American society is ready to move forward. The financial reality demands it and a more modern sense of morality demands it.

Amount spent annually in the U.S. on the war on drugs: More than $51,000,000,000.

Tax revenue that drug legalization would yield annually, if currently-illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco: $46.7 billion. Estimated annual revenue that California would raise if it taxed and regulated the sale of marijuana: $1,400,000,000.

Number of arrests in 2014 in the U.S. for marijuana law violations: 700,993 Number of these arrests that were for possession only: 619,809 (88 percent).

Number of states that have decriminalized marijuana by eliminating criminal penalties for simple possession of small amounts for personal use: 20. Number of states that allow the medical use of marijuana: 23 + District of Columbia

Number of Americans incarcerated in 2014 in federal, state and local prisons and jails: 2,224,400 or 1 in every 111 adults, the highest incarceration rate in the world.

Proportion of people incarcerated for a drug offense in state prison who are black or Latino, although these groups use and sell drugs at similar rates as whites: 57 percent.

Number of people in the U.S. who have acquired AIDS directly or indirectly from syringe sharing: 360,836 people, or 30 percent of all people diagnosed w/AIDS in the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that syringe access programs lower HIV incidence among people who inject drugs by: 80 percent.

U.S. federal government support for syringe access programs: $0.00, thanks to a federal ban reinstated by Congress in 2011 that prohibits any federal assistance for them.

Racist underpinnings. Which is why everyone finger points to the Mexican cartel.
Domestic Marijuana Production

And not to mention the race of the dealers that operate without a license and cannot obtain one due to their criminal history in Colorado.

I think pot is most likely a no brainer (<-pun?). My only concern are DUIs going up.

Marijuana involved in 12 percent of Colorado State Patrol DUI cases

1 in 8 of all DUI citations involved pot, that's not insignificant but at the same time does that equate to the same number of accidents or if you can really compare alcohol and pot impairment and also, how many people were cited for marijuana DUI cases before it was legal, maybe no difference at all though I suppose the crime was more serious.

What was the rate before it was legal?

Forum List

Back