'It’s insulting to parents to say they’re baptising their children to get them into a school’

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
listing

"I, personally, never in 28 years, never had the sense of someone coming along and saying I want them baptised because I want them to get into a Catholic school."

‘It’s insulting to parents to say they’re baptising their children to get them into a school’

Everything is insulting to someone

I'm insulted that you're all so fucking insulted all the time

does a kid have to be baptized to go to catholic school?

Not at the Catholic school I attended years ago. Funny, one of my classmates wasn't baptized, and going down the list of these classmates in my mind, for the life of me I cannot remember which classmate it was. If my childhood memory serves correctly, the issue wasn't that the student wasn't a Christian of another denomination, but over the age that denomination felt an individual should be baptized.

does a kid have to be baptized to go to catholic school?

Not at the Catholic school I attended years ago. Funny, one of my classmates wasn't baptized, and going down the list of these classmates in my mind, for the life of me I cannot remember which classmate it was. If my childhood memory serves correctly, the issue wasn't that the student wasn't a Christian of another denomination, but over the age that denomination felt an individual should be baptized.

there is an age limit?------or are you referring to a Christian sect that wants the
object of baptism to KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING? I have known hindus
who attended catholic schools (in india and not baptized)

I think it's hilarious people think if their baby doesn't get "sprinkled" that they will go to hell.

Ridiculous!

Maybe this is merely a term thing I'm questioning, but I was always under the impression babies are "christened" and "baptizing" is done with individuals that are capable of making an intellectual decision regarding the process.

I think if a child is "christened" it's more about the parents making a promise to bring their child up in a Godly manner ...

Baptism is for those that can make a sincere commitment to God themselves.

I think if a child is "christened" it's more about the parents making a promise to bring their child up in a Godly manner ...

And how many of those "christened" babies do you think actually get raised in that manner, seriously. I think it's merely a ritual for some parents, nothing more. If I were God I'd be insulted.

And how many of those "christened" babies do you think actually get raised in that manner, seriously. I think it's merely a ritual for some parents, nothing more. If I were God I'd be insulted.

A lot of religion is more about man's rituals than God. The focus is rarely actually on God......

There was an episode of All In The Family where Mike & Gloria did not want to baptize (christen) their baby and Archie secretly went to church and did it himself....

there is an age limit?------or are you referring to a Christian sect that wants the object of baptism to KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING? I have known hinduswho attended catholic schools (in india and not baptized)

In the Catholic faith, there is no age requirement for baptism. In many Catholic schools, there are no sacramental requirements. In some there are. This is up to the individual private school.

People have different conceptions and perceptions of Baptism. Some believe it is a statement of commitment that one makes when one becomes of age (or reaches the age of reason). Some believe it is a sacrament of initiation where one is welcomed into the family of Christ, and has family and sponsors to guide them in the teachings of Christ. There are sources outside of scripture that tell us infant baptism was a fact in the early Church. By the mid 200s, the question was settled over whether people needed to wait eight days (as the case in circumcision) to baptize their child. The decision was, No, an eight day wait was not required.

More time passed and by the mid 1500s some Protestants decided upon their practice of baptizing individuals upon the age of reason or legal age. As you note, they saw value in waiting for the individual commitment--especially having done away with other sacraments where the individual confirms the commitment made at baptism throughout his/her life.

It is a practice brought about by a high mortality rate in children in the past. Children go to Heaven regardless of being sprinkled or not. Baptizing babies is a dogma thing, not a Biblical thing.

Actually, it is more like that high mortality was not the reason. Christianity sprang from Judaism where babies on their eighth day were circumcised indicating they were abiding members of the Jewish community and faith. The Bible also tells us entire households were baptized; that mothers brought their infants to Jesus--and that Jesus had to forbid his disciples from forbidding mothers to bring their children to him. We also know early Christians did baptize their infants.

There was an episode of All In The Family where Mike & Gloria did not want to baptize (christen) their baby and Archie secretly went to church and did it himself....

In Catholicism, that would be an invalid baptism.

I think it's hilarious people think if their baby doesn't get "sprinkled" that they will go to hell. Ridiculous!

Yeah, and there is no reason for people to think that. At one point in time the Church was asked what happens to unbaptized babies? Scriptures were searched, and the response was, As scripture doesn't tell us one way or another, we are in limbo as to the answer to that question.

Time went by, and people began thinking limbo was a place to which unbaptized babies existed. So the Church had to clarify: Scripture doesn't tell us one way or the other what happens to infants who are not baptized. (The Church is in limbo as to knowing the answer to the question--not the babies!) The Catholic Church followed through with, Because we do not have an authoritative answer to the question, we trust in the loving mercy of God.

I don't know which denomination (if any) teach that unbaptized babies are in hell. It's not something I have heard.

It is a practice brought about by a high mortality rate in children in the past. Children go to Heaven regardless of being sprinkled or not. Baptizing babies is a dogma thing, not a Biblical thing.

Actually, it is more like that high mortality was not the reason. Christianity sprang from Judaism where babies on their eighth day were circumcised indicating they were abiding members of the Jewish community and faith. The Bible also tells us entire households were baptized; that mothers brought their infants to Jesus--and that Jesus had to forbid his disciples from forbidding mothers to bring their children to him. We also know early Christians did baptize their infants.

While the little children were drawn to Christ, it wasn't for baptism. Baptism is a commitment. It is a gesture symbolic of the old man going down and a new man emerging. A rebirth. Infants can't make that decision. Nevertheless, committing your child to the Lord, must be a pleasing aroma to our Father, and is surely counted as righteousness on the part of the parent. Samson comes to mind.
High mortality was the major reason for infant baptism. Especially during the Black Plague.

The Jews didn't know it at the time, but God did know, a male's prothrombin is the highest it will ever be on the 8th day of his life. Blood clots quicker on that day than any other. That is why God instructed male Jews to be circumcised on that specific day. But that again, has nothing to do with that individual deciding to commit his life to God. That ceremony comes at a later date when the child becomes accountable for his own actions. At that point the child is considered a man. There are no children in Hell. They go straight up, because they are not accountable for their behavior.

Last edited:
there is an age limit?------or are you referring to a Christian sect that wants the object of baptism to KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING? I have known hinduswho attended catholic schools (in india and not baptized)

In the Catholic faith, there is no age requirement for baptism. In many Catholic schools, there are no sacramental requirements. In some there are. This is up to the individual private school.

People have different conceptions and perceptions of Baptism. Some believe it is a statement of commitment that one makes when one becomes of age (or reaches the age of reason). Some believe it is a sacrament of initiation where one is welcomed into the family of Christ, and has family and sponsors to guide them in the teachings of Christ. There are sources outside of scripture that tell us infant baptism was a fact in the early Church.

"Sources outside of scripture" says it all, IMO.

People have different conceptions and perceptions of Baptism. Some believe it is a statement of commitment that one makes when one becomes of age (or reaches the age of reason). Some believe it is a sacrament of initiation where one is welcomed into the family of Christ, and has family and sponsors to guide them in the teachings of Christ. There are sources outside of scripture that tell us infant baptism was a fact in the early Church.

"Sources outside of scripture" says it all, IMO.

that's nice to know-----there are also lots of sources outside of scripture
that tell us what was going on in Judea----during that time-----lots and lots--
but some are obscure----and some buried in complicated ------not particularly
readable---- commentaries. You cannot comment on such stuff here unless you
can link it to a real translation that just happens to be ON THE NET. John
---it seems ----did not baptize infants ------as far as I recall

Forum List

Back