It just dawned on me

NOBODY is telling you that you have to marry someone of the same sex. What you are doing is dictating what somebody does in their private life.

Did I say that? No. I am not dictating anything to anyone. But your righteous indignance suggest you wish to force such a way of life onto people of my faith. Methinks thou dost protesteth too much.

Nobody is opposing Christian's opinion about gay marriage. They are opposing their dictating whether or not they can get married. You can keep your opinion all you want, but you can't push your religious beliefs upon others.

I don't pretend to understand romantically loving someone of the same sex. I have never experienced it, so I don't understand it. Perhaps it is biological and not a choice. Who am I to say or make that judgment for someone else.

I used to think the marriage should be between a man and a woman but our culture does not value marriage to the degree that I think it deserves the presitige it once had. Marriages today are "throw away" relationships. When people promise to love the other person until death does them part, it generally means "until I see someone better."

In biblical times marriage could be between a man and multiple women. It could even be between a man and multiple underage women. Since that was "traditional marriage" should we revert back to those beliefs because a 2000 year old and continuously edited document tells us to?

There is no "traditional marriage." But somehow, I get the distinct impression that you are trying to foist your definition of marriage on to people such as me, or others who believe as I do. It's quite ironic that people have their own definitions of things they claim have no definition.

Say that 2000 times fast.

Others are obligated to believe as you do?

And why would I do such a thing? You are free to believe with all your being that Donkeys are Democrats and Republicans are Elephants. By all means, don't let me stop you.
You seem to think that if others change their minds and no longer believe as you do you're beliefs are somehow being impacted.

That's not the case, is it?

You seem to think that if others change their minds and no longer believe as you do you're beliefs are somehow being impacted.

They can change their own minds at their leisure, but it will create a great chasm within the faith. The same divisions that divide America will divide Christianity. So yes. When a decision threatens to divide my faith, it does in fact impact my beliefs.

So much for "one body in Christ" as it were.

They can change their own minds at their leisure, but it will create a great chasm within the faith. The same divisions that divide America will divide Christianity.
Ok. Assuming that's true, it still doesn't answer how your beliefs will be impacted

Ok. Assuming that's true, it still doesn't answer how your beliefs will be impacted

If my church accepts it, then it will. See how that works? Suddenly there will be people who dissent of my beliefs, and people of whom opinions I dissent.
That's the beliefs of your church, not you. Your church is not obligated to believe as you do, nor are tou obligated to believe as your church does

Your church is not obligated to believe as you do, nor are tou obligated to believe as your church does

We are all Baptists. We have our own interpretations, but all share the same belief. Assuming what you say is true, this scenario is likely to take place:

Such mentality will cascade throughout the congregation, and then arguments of whose beliefs are superior over whose will take place, then alienation, and then outright extrication of the dissension by those who win out. That is not how a church in my denomination works. Unity, not division.

Marriage is now a government sanctioned institution. It has nothing to do with your faith, or your religion. Therefor it effects you in no way. In 20 years people will see same sex marriage as a norm. Get over it. You've lost the battle already.

Your church is not obligated to believe as you do, nor are tou obligated to believe as your church does

We are all Baptists. We have our own interpretations, but all share the same belief. Assuming what you say is true, this scenario is likely to take place:

Such mentality will cascade throughout the congregation, and then arguments of whose beliefs are superior over whose will take place, then alienation, and then outright extrication of the dissension by those who win out. That is not how a church in my denomination works. Unity, not division.
I see. So to prevent strife you'd require them to believe as you do, because your belief system doesn't work if there is conflict or if the church you want to go to differs in opinion from you

They can change their own minds at their leisure, but it will create a great chasm within the faith. The same divisions that divide America will divide Christianity. So yes. When a decision threatens to divide my faith, it does in fact impact my beliefs.

So much for "one body in Christ" as it were.

I no longer belong to a certain church but have a personal relationship with the Lord. I am a Christian, I found the church to be full of hypocrisy and disappointment. But I wouldn't expect any of my beliefs or choices to impact yours. Did I understand your post correctly?

I don't pretend to understand romantically loving someone of the same sex. I have never experienced it, so I don't understand it. Perhaps it is biological and not a choice. Who am I to say or make that judgment for someone else.

I used to think the marriage should be between a man and a woman but our culture does not value marriage to the degree that I think it deserves the presitige it once had. Marriages today are "throw away" relationships. When people promise to love the other person until death does them part, it generally means "until I see someone better."

Marriage is a joke nowadays. To pretend that it is some valued institution is a joke. Why not allow gays to get married? Are we afraid that the already high rate of adultery and divorce will skyrocket?

Marriage is now a government sanctioned institution.

It shouldn't be.

. It has nothing to do with your faith, or your religion.

It is a sacred rite, not only to my faith, but many other faiths/religions. Such an ignorant and malinformed statement. If it is sacred to me as a Christian, then from what I see from gays, it is sacred to them in their own way. Thus, why government should butt out. It has not the right to dictate what is or isn't sacred to anyone.

In 20 years people will see same sex marriage as a norm. Get over it. You've lost the battle already.

I will see same sex marriage as a sin. In 20 years I will still hold the same belief. The battle is not lost so long as there is one man left standing on the field. You will have to kill me before I succumb to this "norm."

Last edited:
I will still hold the same belief. The battle is not lost so long as there is one man left standing on the field. You will have to kill me before I succumb to this "norm."

The only thing you won't be holding in 20 years is a job, or a woman. :D

Forum List

Back