It is time for the States to call a Constitutional Convention.

Article V of the United States Constitution:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

The Federal Government is an agent of the States, as it is a compact between the sovereign States, that has been delegated certain powers that are of the common interest of all the States, whilst reserving all other powers to either the States or the People (in accordance to which powers the People have delegated to their State in their state constitution).

In the event that the Federal Government was to become too overbearing and tyrannical, such that it would refuse to remedy its injustices and wrongs, the Founders ensured that the ULTIMATE SOVEREIGNTY of the States remained intact by allowing them to amend (or outright abolish/replace) the Constitution without the approval of the General Government.

We have reached an era where the General Government will NOT correct itself, it is now the DUTY of the States to ARREST these EVILS and to interpose and interdict on behalf of their respective People.

Petition and lobby your State Legislatures for a Constitutional Convention, an outright abolition of the CURRENT federal government should be the aim, whilst updating certain provisions in order to prevent the same evils from arising once again.

Think about it, either we have a peaceful revolution through a Constitutional Convention, or it comes down to a violent and EXTREMELY bloody revolution instead, that will probably last a couple of decades, and we may end up with a WORSE government than what we currently have.

You really wanna get rid of the Constitution don't you?

I agree with everything but the line item veto. I think it gives the President too much power

No, it does not.

As the system is presently, it forces the President to approve unlimited, shameless pork as long as it is attached to a bill that NEEDS to be signed into law.

I am not saying that line item veto for a president would never be abused, but the fact that most presidents actually have asked for it, may indicate that the abuse is by far more with the pork-loading legislators than with the president.

I totally agree on unrelated pork being added to bills

Congress has a Constitutional role to write legislation and pass it. The President has a role to approve or disapprove that legislation. By giving the President a line item veto, he can personally craft that legislation by striking out those portions he doesn't like and make Congress assemble 2/3 of its members to override his deletions

I just think it can be abused and gives the President too much power

There is only one President at any given time, while there are 435 congress people who are clamoring to endear themselves to their free loading constituents.

Pointing to and exposing corruption and abuse of one president is far easier than proving the same of any or all of 435 congress people.

So, in my opinion, there should be a presidential line item veto, but I respect your opinion.

BTW, it does not happen very often that we agree on things, but on this thread we seem to be pretty close on almost everything else.

No, it does not.

As the system is presently, it forces the President to approve unlimited, shameless pork as long as it is attached to a bill that NEEDS to be signed into law.

I am not saying that line item veto for a president would never be abused, but the fact that most presidents actually have asked for it, may indicate that the abuse is by far more with the pork-loading legislators than with the president.

I totally agree on unrelated pork being added to bills

Congress has a Constitutional role to write legislation and pass it. The President has a role to approve or disapprove that legislation. By giving the President a line item veto, he can personally craft that legislation by striking out those portions he doesn't like and make Congress assemble 2/3 of its members to override his deletions

I just think it can be abused and gives the President too much power

There is only one President at any given time, while there are 435 congress people who are clamoring to endear themselves to their free loading constituents.

Pointing to and exposing corruption and abuse of one president is far easier than proving the same of any or all of 435 congress people.

So, in my opinion, there should be a presidential line item veto, but I respect your opinion.

BTW, it does not happen very often that we agree on things, but on this thread we seem to be pretty close on almost everything else.

I don't see the President abusing power regarding excessive pork

But what happens to a bill in which certain sections are added to a bill to get Republicans to vote for it? Republicans vote for the bill because it includes those provisions that made the bill agreeable to them

When the bill gets to President Obama, he line item vetos the parts the Republicans wanted. Now, the Bill is law and Republicans need to get 2/3 of Congress to put those sections of the law back in

Article V of the United States Constitution:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

The Federal Government is an agent of the States, as it is a compact between the sovereign States, that has been delegated certain powers that are of the common interest of all the States, whilst reserving all other powers to either the States or the People (in accordance to which powers the People have delegated to their State in their state constitution).

In the event that the Federal Government was to become too overbearing and tyrannical, such that it would refuse to remedy its injustices and wrongs, the Founders ensured that the ULTIMATE SOVEREIGNTY of the States remained intact by allowing them to amend (or outright abolish/replace) the Constitution without the approval of the General Government.

We have reached an era where the General Government will NOT correct itself, it is now the DUTY of the States to ARREST these EVILS and to interpose and interdict on behalf of their respective People.

Petition and lobby your State Legislatures for a Constitutional Convention, an outright abolition of the CURRENT federal government should be the aim, whilst updating certain provisions in order to prevent the same evils from arising once again.

Think about it, either we have a peaceful revolution through a Constitutional Convention, or it comes down to a violent and EXTREMELY bloody revolution instead, that will probably last a couple of decades, and we may end up with a WORSE government than what we currently have.

You really wanna get rid of the Constitution don't you?

…and its case law.

5. Term limit for ALL elected officials. Senate: two term, House four terms.
6. Outlaw or at least severely limit packing bills with unrelated pork.
7. Line item veto for the President. To balance that, limit the President to issue executive orders to national security matters.

I agree with everything but the line item veto. I think it gives the President too much power

No, it does not.

Yes, it does.

The issue isn’t that a president might abuse a LIV, but that such veto power violates the fundamental tenets of a Constitutional Republic and separation of powers doctrine, where a LIV would usurp legislative authority and the will of the people as expressed by their elected representatives.

You guys know that a Constitutional Convention can't change the Constitution, don't you?

All it can do is PROPOSE amendments.

Anything it proposes, must still be ratified by 3/4 of the states. Or else it goes in the trash can.

This is the only peaceful remedy, the federal government will never correct itself, and the States failed to uphold the Nullification Doctrines after the 1860's.

There is no ‘remedy’ needed.

The Republic is functioning exactly as the Framers intended.

The only problem is the reactionary right, fearful, authoritarian conservatives who perceive a loss of their privilege and status, and the need to compel those who dare to dissent and exercise their right to individual liberty to conform to rightist dogma.

I find it impossible to believe the Framers would have thought the Federal government was empowered to force employers to buy their employees' birth control. And not because there was no such thing as birth control back then.

I would like to see a Constitutional convention for the purpose of an amendment to ban tax expenditures. There is no way our American Politburo (Congress) will ever do so as it would undermine their corrupt practices.

Libtards have been trying to get a Constitutional Convention to overturn the Constitution for many years. Specifically to do two things, repeal the Bill of Rights and institute a new Bill of Rights as to what government must do for individuals. They should have no such opportunity. If anything, the country should just divide with liberals able to govern themselves as they see fit.
Divided into the United States of America (Americans) and the People's Republic of America (Nanny-Staters)?

Here's a head-start on the Nanny flag...

300france.png

The federal government gifts you for buying the right refrigerator. Or to put it another way, the government penalizes you with extra taxation for not buying a house.

I dare anyone to say with a straight face our Founders would not be gobsmacked to find federal intervention in our lives has intruded to this depth.

Last edited:

I agree that a new CC might be in order, but disagree that the majority of states have ever been sovereign, 15 to 19 were(if you count VT, ME, WV and CA). Most states were territories of the federal republic that petitioned Congress for permission to become states and were never sovereign.

It is time for the States to call a Constitutional Convention..

I disagree.

Close to 50% of the the population is dependent on federal government largesse

85 to 90 % of the population have been narcotized by 12 years of government "schooling".

So they are going to conclude that you have no rights the government has to recognize.

Last edited:
No. It's not. the people aren't ready for such a thing.

We can't even win elections to get completely control of Congress or beat one of the worst President's in American history. You seriously think we can win the delegates needed to send to the Constitutional Convention and change what we need to fix our problems? If we called one right now, the people would elect progressives from both parties who would get absolutely nothing we need to get accomplished and changes are would make things 5000 times worse.

You have to spend the next decade or two preparing the people, changing the culture, changing hearts and minds and educating one another.

You guys know that a Constitutional Convention can't change the Constitution, don't you?

All it can do is PROPOSE amendments.

Anything it proposes, must still be ratified by 3/4 of the states. Or else it goes in the trash can.

What everyone should know is that the idea is idiocy.

Yeah. Totally idiocy, that's why the Founders put it in the Constitution, because everyone knows it's stupid.

Libtards have been trying to get a Constitutional Convention to overturn the Constitution for many years. Specifically to do two things, repeal the Bill of Rights and institute a new Bill of Rights as to what government must do for individuals. They should have no such opportunity. If anything, the country should just divide with liberals able to govern themselves as they see fit.

How many times are you gonna drag out that same stupid idea?

We intend to be real strict about who we let across the border, too. No more Hollywood and Broadway for you. :cool:

We intend to be real strict about who we let across the border, too. No more Hollywood and Broadway for you. :cool:

Im all for breaking the monopolies of Hollywood and Broadway.

Let's make some good movies for a change.

Yes, we need a new Constitutional Convention.

We need to rewrite the 2nd Amendment to make it clearer and to state which State and Federal regulatiomns are ok.

We need to get rid of the 10th Amendment.

Yes, we need a new Constitutional Convention.

We need to rewrite the 2nd Amendment to make it clearer and to state which State and Federal regulatiomns are ok.

We need to get rid of the 10th Amendment.

Thank you for making my point

Forum List

Back