Is there really white privilege?

I’ve been wondering about this since the entire white privilege thing started. Kinda looking around for it. If I had it at all it sure as hell wasn't helping me. Im still looking for it. Has anyone actually found their white privilege?

Have you ever walked into a store and not been followed by security because they thought you might steal something?

White privilege.

Been pulled over and not had your car searched?

White privilege.

And so on.

Another story or two...

I used to work public sector in Houston. We went to a conference in Austin and stayed at the Double Tree across from the Erwin Center. I arrived in the afternoon and presented my organization's travel voucher and was given a room and some cookies. A young Hispanic gentleman (US Navy veteran who served in combat) who was actually younger than me and my direct supervisor came in around 7PM that evening. He presented his voucher and was asked to also present a credit card to pay for the room. When he asked why he needed to present a credit card for the room, he was told it was to cover incidentals and any damages that are done to the room.

A relative of mine who is Hispanic and his Anglo wife were in a shopping mall when it got late and they announced the mall would be closing in a few minutes. They had parked outside of Dillards and were wanting to pass through the Dillards store so they could exit near their car. A gentleman (white guy) told them that they would have to go out the mall entrance and this would force them to walk around the anchor store at Deerbrook Mall in Humble, Texas. It's a very large store and this was not a minor inconvenience considering they were also pushing a baby carriage with their young daughter in it. As they were walking down the hallway to exit the store, a white couple came up to the same door and were let into Dillards. Its unclear if they were pass-throughs or shoppers.

Those are two of the many cases where I experienced White privilege.

This doesn't count all of the times I was at the beach or park and the police chose not to stop and search me

I'm hearing a lot of ASSumptions, and no actual evidence. "My supervisor had to present a credit card, and I didn't, and he was Asian and I'm not, so THAT HAS TO BE THE REASON." Except that I'm white, and I've never checked into a hotel without having to have a credit card on file. I happen to know that it's standard hotel procedure, which makes me rather skeptical of the anecdote.

"It's unclear whether the other couple were pass-throughs or shoppers, but he's Hispanic, so I KNOW that was the reason." Yeah, or maybe they actually were shoppers. Maybe they were friends with the security guard. Maybe they were related to the manager of the Dillards. Maybe a lot of fucking things.

Those are two examples of a racist dipshit assuming that because all HE/SHE can see is people's race, that must mean everyone else has the same problem. Call it "minority privilege", condemning other people for a sin you want to believe they've committed without having to actually prove it.

The police didn't "choose" not to stop this person while wandering the beach or the park, and it had nothing to do with race. They didn't stop them because THERE WAS NO REASON TO. Believe it or not, cops actually have more important things to do than harass people for no good reason and open themselves up to firing and lawsuits.

I’ve been wondering about this since the entire white privilege thing started. Kinda looking around for it. If I had it at all it sure as hell wasn't helping me. Im still looking for it. Has anyone actually found their white privilege?

Try putting on some realistic black face then come back to us

For quickest effect open carry

Any white gun owner whose weapons ever leave their homes believing they dont' enjoy any privilege is insane

Liberals don’t realize how silly they sound

I'm gonna tell you bud

Most white trash who don't understand the basics of the society we live in come off as a lot more obtuse

Your teachers didn't find you observant or clever.

Elite liberals certainly won't

So unbelievably uppity considering how well you should know your place.

Have you ever walked into a store and not been followed by security because they thought you might steal something?

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.
Bullshit. All of that has happened to me.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Except I do know white people who’ve had that happen to them.
I’m just going to step out on a limb here but are they kind of shady looking people?
"Shady" is a racist term. Yet use it unthinkingly without repercussions.

White privilege.
You’re an idiot. Fuck off with that shit.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.
How is that white privilege?

Do a lot of blacks not wearing hoodies or with their pants down below their asses get followed through a grocery store? Please let me know because I’m pretty sure it isn’t the skin color here. Do bikers get the same free pass because they’re white? Or does that not apply?

I just had to deal with getting pulled over. Turns out we forgot to renew the plates. My truck wasn’t searched probably because it doesn’t smell like pot. Although the cop did ask what my job was after seeing all the tools in the back seat. I got the ticket BTW. Is that white privilege?
Nevertheless.
Nevertheless what? You lost your train of thought or your train of talking points?
Would the office have taken the word of a black man that the tools were for legitimate uses?
Why wouldn’t he? It’s pretty easy to tell if the tools are for work.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.
Bullshit. All of that has happened to me.
Nobody is claiming they won't.

It is more likely to happen to a minority, is what I said.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.
I’m white that’s happend to me many times

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Except I do know white people who’ve had that happen to them.
I’m just going to step out on a limb here but are they kind of shady looking people?

White privilege.
You’re an idiot. Fuck off with that shit.
Typical tRumpling, backed into a corner and screeching insults.

Damn you people are predictable.

There are clear advantages in any society to being part of the majority. If we call "advantage" "privilege", then "whites" would have it in a "white" society. However, we have two words, and making them mean the same thing diminishes our language and the precision it could have.
Like "black lives matter", words become signals for an idea. When they are adopted by a movement, any variation of use of the word or words becomes a comment, or can be interpreted as an attack, on the idea. Saying "all lives matter" changes from being humanist to racist. Saying fascism is rightist changes from being a historical statement to being communist.
Often, in history, this linguistic principle has been used to manipulate speech and, thus, thought.

From 2013:

I remember back when I lived in Houston, I was pulled over and ticketed in the suburb of Bellaire. Google the city of Bellaire and check it out. Wiki has it as being 90+% white and Asian.

Well, I wanted to fight the ticket so I went to the court which was in the evening. The court room was packed full of people there to fight their tickets as well. The racial make up should be about 90+% white and Asian if, on average, those ticketed reflect the racial make-up of the city...right?

Aside from the Judge, an attorney some Mexican lady brought with her, and another defendant, nearly every defendant in the room was black or Hispanic (very few Hispanics by the way). We're talking about 150 defendants and one of them was white, in Bellaire, where 90% of the town is white or Asian.

When I hear about White Privilege, I think it's an antiquated notion but it still exists and, to my mind, it is most prevalent here.

--

On the flip side of the coin, as many of you may know if you read my posts, I do credentialing for our health system. What that means is that I check to make sure current and prospective future employees have the licenses they say they have, the endorsements they claim, and generally are telling the baseline truth about their qualifications. I get "packets" from HR about each applicant or volunteer. Recently, the packets have started to include the race-based questions we have on the end of our on-line application. The part that wants you to self-identify whether you're white, black, Latino, martian or whatever.

I have purposely refused to look at this. It doesn't affect their qualifications at all (alternate languages spoke, written are covered in another part of the application). I'm not in HR but I would bet that the message down there is that they need to have our staff mirror the city of Phoenix meaning hire more Hispanics. BS...I say hire the best person for the job and have your HR staff eliminate race from consideration to the positive or the negative. If the open job has two good candidates, you flip a coin.
I live in a black neighborhood they cops refuse to drive through because they commit to many driving infractions.. it’s embarrassing, where is there parents?

White privilege.

White privilege is having to pay for your groceries at Walmart

You obviously need help. Most of us already knew that.

Try putting on some realistic black face then come back to us

For quickest effect open carry

Any white gun owner whose weapons ever leave their homes believing they dont' enjoy any privilege is insane
Blackface. You’re an idiot.

Blacks are at the gun range all the time. WTF are you talking about? Maybe nobody cares they are there because they aren’t rolling in flashing gang signs and holding their pistol fucking sideways.

You obviously need help. Most of us already knew that.
So you don’t think the black people are equal to you?

White privilege.

White privilege is having to pay for your groceries at Walmart

Totally unrelated attempt to divert the thread. These folks are being actively pursued to pay for their crimes.

Nothing to do with white privilege of the lack of it.

Nice try though.

Forum List

Back