Is there really white privilege?

Not in this neighborhood...
istockphoto-472908152-1024x1024.jpg

I remember applying for college loans. Being told my parents who didn’t even own the home were too rich for me to get one. And then she asked if I had any Hispanic or black in my heritage and that would help.

I sure felt the privilege that day.

in the mid 90's there was,,,god...every bank was giving me a 5000 dollar visa,,,no questions asked !!!!

No there is just privledge privilege that is earned and whites are more adept at it and diligent toward it

I’ve been wondering about this since the entire white privilege thing started. Kinda looking around for it. If I had it at all it sure as hell wasn't helping me. Im still looking for it. Has anyone actually found their white privilege?

Have you ever walked into a store and not been followed by security because they thought you might steal something?

White privilege.

Been pulled over and not had your car searched?

White privilege.

And so on.

N
I am so privileged that we I was young, my family lived in a three room cabin up 25 miles of unpaved road in a logging camp way up in the woods.

I always wished I grew up in an underprivileged situation like that of Jaden and Willow Smith.
Not what it means.

Have you ever walked into a store and not been followed by security because they thought you might steal something?

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Except I do know white people who’ve had that happen to them.

I’ve been wondering about this since the entire white privilege thing started. Kinda looking around for it. If I had it at all it sure as hell wasn't helping me. Im still looking for it. Has anyone actually found their white privilege?

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.
How is that white privilege?

Do a lot of blacks not wearing hoodies or with their pants down below their asses get followed through a grocery store? Please let me know because I’m pretty sure it isn’t the skin color here. Do bikers get the same free pass because they’re white? Or does that not apply?

I just had to deal with getting pulled over. Turns out we forgot to renew the plates. My truck wasn’t searched probably because it doesn’t smell like pot. Although the cop did ask what my job was after seeing all the tools in the back seat. I got the ticket BTW. Is that white privilege?

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

I’m just going to step out on a limb here but are they kind of shady looking people?

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Do a lot of blacks not wearing hoodies or with their pants down below their asses get followed through a grocery store? Please let me know because I’m pretty sure it isn’t the skin color here. Do bikers get the same free pass because they’re white? Or does that not apply?

I just had to deal with getting pulled over. Turns out we forgot to renew the plates. My truck wasn’t searched probably because it doesn’t smell like pot. Although the cop did ask what my job was after seeing all the tools in the back seat. I got the ticket BTW. Is that white privilege?
Nevertheless.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Nevertheless.
Nevertheless what? You lost your train of thought or your train of talking points?

From 2013:

I remember back when I lived in Houston, I was pulled over and ticketed in the suburb of Bellaire. Google the city of Bellaire and check it out. Wiki has it as being 90+% white and Asian.

Well, I wanted to fight the ticket so I went to the court which was in the evening. The court room was packed full of people there to fight their tickets as well. The racial make up should be about 90+% white and Asian if, on average, those ticketed reflect the racial make-up of the city...right?

Aside from the Judge, an attorney some Mexican lady brought with her, and another defendant, nearly every defendant in the room was black or Hispanic (very few Hispanics by the way). We're talking about 150 defendants and one of them was white, in Bellaire, where 90% of the town is white or Asian.

When I hear about White Privilege, I think it's an antiquated notion but it still exists and, to my mind, it is most prevalent here.

--

On the flip side of the coin, as many of you may know if you read my posts, I do credentialing for our health system. What that means is that I check to make sure current and prospective future employees have the licenses they say they have, the endorsements they claim, and generally are telling the baseline truth about their qualifications. I get "packets" from HR about each applicant or volunteer. Recently, the packets have started to include the race-based questions we have on the end of our on-line application. The part that wants you to self-identify whether you're white, black, Latino, martian or whatever.

I have purposely refused to look at this. It doesn't affect their qualifications at all (alternate languages spoke, written are covered in another part of the application). I'm not in HR but I would bet that the message down there is that they need to have our staff mirror the city of Phoenix meaning hire more Hispanics. BS...I say hire the best person for the job and have your HR staff eliminate race from consideration to the positive or the negative. If the open job has two good candidates, you flip a coin.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

I’m just going to step out on a limb here but are they kind of shady looking people?
"Shady" is a racist term. Yet use it unthinkingly without repercussions.

White privilege.

White privilege.

White privilege.

And so on.

Nevertheless.
Nevertheless what? You lost your train of thought or your train of talking points?
Would the office have taken the word of a black man that the tools were for legitimate uses?

Forum List

Back