Is there anyone else besides me who now feels uncomfortable in the company of Democrats?

Chances are, you aren't the only one in the group who feels a little insulted.

I have a very thick skin, don't mind conflict, and I have opinions which I don't mind sharing, so I don't mind being the only Conservative in a group of people.

I always speak up, so if someone said something derogatory about me in any setting, I would defend myself.

In the example you gave, I would probably say something not too aggressive like "you have to admit that things are going pretty bad right now." That would probably result in some thumbs up from others in the group, even if they stayed quiet.

And we could take the conversation from there if they wanted to keep pursuing the point. I would delight in it.

You can be nice and still disagree with them. You could actually set an example as to how it is done, by not hurling a single insult and only facts and logical reasoning.

But if you are non-confrontational and don't want to offend, that's a bit different from just being nice. That's a bigger hurdle to overcome. I look at it this way - I am sympathetic to other's viewpoints and feelings, but I have viewpoints and feelings of my own, so i will treat theirs with respectful disagreement, and kind of expect the same in return.

Some people are just nasty though. In that case, the best approach is often to not associate.
Thanks. Excellent feedback.

And youā€™re so right that Iā€™m probably not the only one in the group who is insulted. Whatā€˜s evidently happened is that Democrats have so abused Republicans for their vote (started with all their ā€œyou racist!!!!ā€ attacks, and now theyā€™re starting in with the traitor crap) that everyone stays quiet.

Now that I think about it, it happened at last weekā€˜s class, too. A liberal made some remark about ā€œthe idiots who voted for Trumpā€ - and the class were dead quiet. An embarrassed hush fell over the room. Itā€™s a safe bet that there were several others as insulted as I.

Anyway, and againā€¦.thanks for your advice to tread lightly in response to the insult, and thus respond to the false attack (in a non-aggressive manner) rather than meekly accept it via my silence.

My problem is that Iā€™m both a nice person and sometimes (often) too sensitive for my own good. Because of the first, leftists who have been convinced Trump voters are awful people assume I did not vote for him, and because of the second, I am insulted and angry when they start their demeaning remarks about Trump voters In front of me, or even directed at me (not knowing).

And as Biden has ramped up his attack on Republicans, leading poorly informed people to believe that all Trump voters are threats to democracy, traitors to the nation, white supremacists, and so forth, the freely expressed contempt has ramped up as well. It was particularly bad at a dinner I attended last night.

How do my fellow Trump supporters handle this? If you are in a group meeting, and they start with the nasty remarks, are you continuing to hit back, attempt to educate them, or what? This has been going on for five years, and I hate that any get-together with Democrats becomes a battle as they never fail to bring up Trump voters, and not in a nice way.

I am curious as to how you all handle this, especially since itā€™s gotten much worse since Biden made it clear he considers Trump voters the enemies of the country.
ANY one against our UNITED states of America, Any one who Hates OTHER Americans because of membership in a different political party.

My problem is that Iā€™m both a nice person and sometimes (often) too sensitive for my own good. Because of the first, leftists who have been convinced Trump voters are awful people assume I did not vote for him, and because of the second, I am insulted and angry when they start their demeaning remarks about Trump voters In front of me, or even directed at me (not knowing).

And as Biden has ramped up his attack on Republicans, leading poorly informed people to believe that all Trump voters are threats to democracy, traitors to the nation, white supremacists, and so forth, the freely expressed contempt has ramped up as well. It was particularly bad at a dinner I attended last night.

How do my fellow Trump supporters handle this? If you are in a group meeting, and they start with the nasty remarks, are you continuing to hit back, attempt to educate them, or what? This has been going on for five years, and I hate that any get-together with Democrats becomes a battle as they never fail to bring up Trump voters, and not in a nice way.

I am curious as to how you all handle this, especially since itā€™s gotten much worse since Biden made it clear he considers Trump voters the enemies of the country.

Nope. I am fine wherever I go. I do have fun tweaking them though. Every now and then I can get one sputter and get all sorts of bent out of shape.

You asked for that while I was crafting my response and I didn't click on the hyperlink that exposes the posts that are made while you're typing yours.

Deal with it. Answer the questions I posed.
Make me believe that you ARE a nice person and that you can still be reasoned with.
Anybody who wants to argue from the point of Trump was destroying the nation is too fucking stupid to even begin reasoning with.

Would you like to relate what happened at dinner last night?

And youā€™re so right that Iā€™m probably not the only one in the group who is insulted. Whatā€˜s evidently happened is that Democrats have so abused Republicans for their vote (started with all their ā€œyou racist!!!!ā€ attacks, and now theyā€™re starting in with the traitor crap) that everyone stays quiet.

Now that I think about it, it happened at last weekā€˜s class, too. A liberal made some remark about ā€œthe idiots who voted for Trumpā€ - and the class were dead quiet. An embarrassed hush fell over the room. Itā€™s a safe bet that there were several others as insulted as I.

Anyway, and againā€¦.thanks for your advice to tread lightly in response to the insult, and thus respond to the false attack (in a non-aggressive manner) rather than meekly accept it via my silence.
Thinking a bit more.... If this is happening at work, it's probably inappropriate. It surely would be at my work.

Another response might be along the lines of...

"Excuse me, but we are all part of the same team here. Let's be respectful of all of our colleagues."

Anybody who wants to argue from the point of Trump was destroying the nation is too fucking stupid to even begin reasoning with.
Didn't concede the election, lawsuit after lawsuit, January 6th. And that was just the last three months of his Presidency.
Goes to the CIA wall and talks about....his inauguration crowd....and it's all downhill from there. Destroys our norms, civility (what little of it was left), casts doubt on all our democratic processes that we've held in place for over 250 years.

Yeah..I'd call that destroying the nation. And it's still going on.

No way. Request DENIED!
I think the tables could be turned, and Dems could easily find themselves in a similar situation where a MAGA Trumper was bashing Liberals in a mostly-friendly crowd.

So how about replying with something substantive, rather than just disobedience to the OP's request next time, meanie? :)

The topic is how to handle Democrats who demean Trump voters, particularly in a group setting, obviously assuming that everyone around them think as they do.

I, for example, would NEVER start talking about how stupid and ignorant Biden voters are, or what hypocrites they are, or whatever, because I realize there may be Biden voters in the group and it would be arrogant and rude of me to do so. But Democrats have no reservations about the converse.

This is really nothing new. It goes back ar least 15 years, but again, in the couple of weeks since Biden took his attack on Republicans to a new high (or low), itā€™s gotten much worse. It would be like a Jew sitting in a group with Germans trashing Jews, circa 1935, and not knowing there was a Jew there.
A suggestion. Learn to act like an adult.

It takes a certain level of vile for a person to be a democrat anyway. And thatā€™s the ones closest to normal, it gets worse from there. Would anyone willingly choose to hang around a man dressed as a woman and making you treat them like one? Why would you subject yourself to that. I wouldnā€™t want to socialize with anyone who would abort a baby the day before birth. Thatā€™s not the kind of friend I want or need.

It would really dangerous for any American to visit any of the Democrat controlled big city shitholes. Crime is way out of control.

Democrats have destroyed several states and most of the great American cities. It use to only be Detroit but now it is all of them. Even in the Red States.
You have a very snowflakey definition of "destroyed".

I am not a nice person. I am well known as someone who gets enjoyment out of causing pain to others, mental, emotional or physical. If I am in a group and someone starts getting nasty, I take it as permission to flay them alive.
she means it...and she does an excellent job of it.

I tend to ridicule both Democrats and Republicans. Politics is first and foremost entertaining and comical. Watching uber wealthy people who couldn't run a picnic try to run the country provides plenty of opportunity for one to nastily critique.

1663527217281.jpeg
same applies with MAGAt insults to the Left.

Forum List

Back