Debate Now Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?

Yes, there is something happening in universities that don't bode well for the future (and present). In the 1950's and 60's I earned enough delivering newspapers and working as a stock clerk, for my first years tuition, $95, at Wayne State University. By working summers I was able to pay for 4 years of undergraduate. I got better jobs to pay for graduate work. I never borrowed anything. As you know you simply can't do that today.

In public schools, Florida's government is controlled by conservatives. I hear a lot of people complain that the schools are run by the left. Why don't more conservatives go into teaching. I don't think it is the politics of the left controlling teachers especially in Florida. The SAT test requirement is said to be driving the philosophy of elementary education. Teachers pay is barely subsistence. Here they often spend their own money for school supplies because the low budget is set by the FL government. Politics here is corrupting the concept of what is good education.

In Florida teachers pay depends on their students getting high SAT scores. Teachers are focusing on getting their students to excel in the test. I have not looked at a SAT test, but if a high SAT score does not require critical thinking, then the kids won't be taught critical thinking.

Yes, there is something happening in universities that don't bode well for the future (and present). In the 1950's and 60's I earned enough delivering newspapers and working as a stock clerk, for my first years tuition, $95, at Wayne State University. By working summers I was able to pay for 4 years of undergraduate. I got better jobs to pay for graduate work. I never borrowed anything. As you know you simply can't do that today.

In public schools, Florida's government is controlled by conservatives. I hear a lot of people complain that the schools are run by the left. Why don't more conservatives go into teaching. I don't think it is the politics of the left controlling teachers especially in Florida. The SAT test requirement is said to be driving the philosophy of elementary education. Teachers pay is barely subsistence. Here they often spend their own money for school supplies because the low budget is set by the FL government. Politics here is corrupting the concept of what is good education.

In Florida teachers pay depends on their students getting high SAT scores. Teachers are focusing on getting their students to excel in the test. I have not looked at a SAT test, but if a high SAT score does not require critical thinking, then the kids won't be taught critical thinking.
Good question on why donā€™t more conservatives go into teaching. One reason probably is personalities. Peronality tests can give someone a fairly strong prediction on where someone stands politically. People high in agreeableness and negative emotion tend to lean to the left, these traits are good to have when it comes to tending to young children. It also happens to be the traits most common among women, who happen to dominate in the education sector. So it follows that if you have traits that suit you for tending to children, your probably going to choose a career in just that, and those traits also happen to be ones that push you too the left.

Another issue is, even if you are a conservative minded teacher, youā€™re not going to have a lot of control over how you teach. This is the problem with having a top heavy administrative department. They are making the rules, the policies, and guiding the direction of how you act as a teacher. Itā€™s not just the administrative departments either, itā€™s also the teachers unions, which up until recently, even if you werenā€™t a member you were still being forced to pay union dues. Then thereā€™s the whole top down aspect coming from the department of education on top of that.

Good question on why donā€™t more conservatives go into teaching. One reason probably is personalities. Peronality tests can give someone a fairly strong prediction on where someone stands politically. People high in agreeableness and negative emotion tend to lean to the left, these traits are good to have when it comes to tending to young children. It also happens to be the traits most common among women, who happen to dominate in the education sector. So it follows that if you have traits that suit you for tending to children, your probably going to choose a career in just that, and those traits also happen to be ones that push you too the left.

Another issue is, even if you are a conservative minded teacher, youā€™re not going to have a lot of control over how you teach. This is the problem with having a top heavy administrative department. They are making the rules, the policies, and guiding the direction of how you act as a teacher. Itā€™s not just the administrative departments either, itā€™s also the teachers unions, which up until recently, even if you werenā€™t a member you were still being forced to pay union dues. Then thereā€™s the whole top down aspect coming from the department of education on top of that.

We've also seen, more and more that liberals is an organization, will discriminate against conservatives.

We've also seen, more and more that liberals is an organization, will discriminate against conservatives.
I don't know what you mean except that generally liberals and conservatives are at each others throats politically.

As far as education is concerned, religious groups in some states want intelligent design covered in science classes and liberals don't consider that science.

I don't know what you mean except that generally liberals and conservatives are at each others throats politically.

As far as education is concerned, religious groups in some states want intelligent design covered in science classes and liberals don't consider that science.

Liberals, who tell themselves that conservatives are bad people,

will discriminate against conservatives in hiring and promotions.

Thus, whole industries and fields become bubbles for liberals, where other viewpoints are rarely if ever heard.

Thus, whole industries and fields become bubbles for liberals, where other viewpoints are rarely if ever heard.
I don't understand how you can think of that as a trend, but I'm not going to get into any liberal vs. conservative argument here.

The fact is that in educational institutions, scientific institutions, and most of the mainstream media, conservatives are the outliers and are too often excluded from the 'club', denied opportunity to contribute significantly, and generally are made to feel unsatisfactory and unwelcome to the others. So education, many scientific organizations, and media has become overwhelmingly populated with progressives who promote, in fact demand, that everybody embrace and participate in progressive ideology and condemn anything that doesn't fit there.

And in turn those entities are reinforcing some pretty one sided perceptions of progressives/liberals/leftists in the general population. Sometimes to the point that those people will do their best to punish/harm anybody who holds a different opinion/point of view.

To your other point, all but a very few fundamentalist Conservatives don't want Creationism taught in the public schools or taught anywhere as science. But children are not in any way harmed to allow them to expand, consider, imagine, explore all possibilities such as teaching them about Spinosa's "god", i.e. the same 'god' Einstein embraced, that explored the observable possibility that some sort of cosmic intelligence could be guiding the universe to specific conclusions. Neither believed in a personal God as is expressed in JudeoChristian beliefs and religions. But their concept was in no way unscientific and should not be excluded from science curriculum.

One paradigm that is unfortunately occurring in the demographic shifts within our institutions is that there is only one acceptable way to look at things, and only one acceptable conclusion that can be allowed. And heretics must be eliminated. There is no other force that has had as strong and destructive effect on our society overall than that.

conservatives are the outliers and are too often excluded from the 'club', denied opportunity to contribute significantly, and generally are made to feel unsatisfactory and unwelcome to the others.
I have not seen statistics nor anecdotal examples of that, so I'm very reluctant to accept that as a trend.

And in turn those entities are reinforcing some pretty one sided perceptions of progressives/liberals/leftists in the general population. Sometimes to the point that those people will do their best to punish/harm anybody who holds a different opinion/point of view.
If that is the case then it is unfortunate. Liberals are certainly feeling left out of the government. I think the overarching principle is that there is a great divide between liberal and conservative philosophy and it is unfortunate that one or the other has control over important institutions.

some sort of cosmic intelligence could be guiding the universe to specific conclusions.
When I was in elementary school physics it was all about levers and pulleys, etc and not about more complicated principles. Biology was about cells, photosynthesis, worm guts, etc. Deism is more of a philosophy, and it's hard to see how that can be integrated into an elementary science curriculum.

One paradigm that is unfortunately occurring in the demographic shifts within our institutions is that there is only one acceptable way to look at things, and only one acceptable conclusion that can be allowed. And heretics must be eliminated. There is no other force that has had as strong and destructive effect on our society overall than that.

I agree with that. It goes both ways and right now there are continuing factors that further widen that divide. Yes it is unfortunate.

Of course, the same thing occurs all fields...thus Conservative are heavy in the military...and business--many industries are ideologically conservative and pass that on to their workforce--"bubbles" for Conservatives exist also. This site could be considered one..lol!

The fact is that in educational institutions, scientific institutions, and most of the mainstream media, conservatives are the outliers and are too often excluded from the 'club', denied opportunity to contribute significantly, and generally are made to feel unsatisfactory and unwelcome to the others. So education, many scientific organizations, and media has become overwhelmingly populated with progressives who promote, in fact demand, that everybody embrace and participate in progressive ideology and condemn anything that doesn't fit there.

To your other point, all but a very few fundamentalist Conservatives don't want Creationism taught in the public schools or taught anywhere as science. But children are not in any way harmed to allow them to expand, consider, imagine, explore all possibilities such as teaching them about Spinosa's "god", i.e. the same 'god' Einstein embraced, that explored the observable possibility that some sort of cosmic intelligence could be guiding the universe to specific conclusions. Neither believed in a personal God as is expressed in JudeoChristian beliefs and religions. But their concept was in no way unscientific and should not be excluded from science curriculum.

A well thought out response, as usual.

I think that the age of the student has to be considered in this. All the concepts you articulated are taught in our educational system...from the High School onward. Forensic thinking is still taught..and you can find any side you wish---if not in the formal system, then surely on the net.

Both sides of this debate evince a 'get em while they're young' ethos that's just a bit off-putting, to me. I understand that socialization is what takes place in elementary schools..and that they are great labs for 'Group-think'. They have to be. Our society could not exist without a certain underlying commonality...that is inculcated in early childhood..by the educational system.
Ideologically, I favor a 'hands-off' approach to hot button issues in the school..that's for the parents to explain...however they choose. There is a reason that religions like sponsoring schools...I don't wish public education to go down that road.

I will point out that our public school system seems to have no problem turning out Conservatives by the tens of millions..just sayin'....

Of course, the same thing occurs all fields...thus Conservative are heavy in the military...and business--many industries are ideologically conservative and pass that on to their workforce--"bubbles" for Conservatives exist also. This site could be considered one..lol!

Nope. Conservatives don't roll like that.

WE don't judge people as bad people, just because they don't agree with us politically.

That takes a special kind of smug assholeness, that most of us, just have not developed.

A well thought out response, as usual.

I think that the age of the student has to be considered in this. All the concepts you articulated are taught in our educational system...from the High School onward. Forensic thinking is still taught..and you can find any side you wish---if not in the formal system, then surely on the net.

Both sides of this debate evince a 'get em while they're young' ethos that's just a bit off-putting, to me. I understand that socialization is what takes place in elementary schools..and that they are great labs for 'Group-think'. They have to be. Our society could not exist without a certain underlying commonality...that is inculcated in early childhood..by the educational system.
Ideologically, I favor a 'hands-off' approach to hot button issues in the school..that's for the parents to explain...however they choose. There is a reason that religions like sponsoring schools...I don't wish public education to go down that road.

I will point out that our public school system seems to have no problem turning out Conservatives by the tens of millions..just sayin'....

I hope you're right. I'm not personally seeing it, but I hope you are right.

Nope. Conservatives don't roll like that.

WE don't judge people as bad people, just because they don't agree with us politically.

That takes a special kind of smug assholeness, that most of us, just have not developed.
Hmm...you seem to be invested in this thing you call 'WE'. In my experience, ones political views and party of affiliation have little to do with how they act as human beings. Some are invested to the point of absurdity..others believe that there are many things more important in their lives.

To drag this back in the vicinity of the topic...culturally, I've heard many, many conservatives speak in the worst terms possible about those who hold differing cultural and political views. I've read posts where you have done so. I know I've done so. The left does so as well..with the added sting of their agenda of shaming the far right. I don't agree with either group..and I think the shaming tactic is both counter-productive and futile.

Is our cultural war a young vs old thing? Is that some of the energy that is driving it? Do not be deceived..the young care about values just as much as the old--just not the same ones sometimes..with the added fillip of the hypocrisy that the young see..whether it exists or not...in the old.

I would suggest that you speak for yourself..and give up this conceit of there being a 'WE' that you can cogently speak for.

Last edited:
I don't see the major driving force as racial so much as it is ideological.

Over the years, most of our multi-racial, multi-ethnic families and friends have shared a common culture, i.e. appreciation for American holidays, celebrations, and an instinctive appreciation for or at least an understanding of the history that prompted them. Over more than two centuries now, we have done our best to correct our mistakes and wrongs and promote what is more just and honorable. We all have enjoyed fish fries, back yard bar-b-ques, parades, pageants, the lighting of the national Christmas tree, the ball descending on Times Square on New Years, Fourth of July fireworks, and the traditional Thanksgiving feast for many decades.

Good or bad, hero or villain, noble or not so much, the historical figures of our past were recognized as part of a grand journey that makes us uniquely American, a people that have improved and gotten better with age. We were able as a people to learn from and reject the bad while retaining what was worth keeping.

What is bit by bit intentionally eroding all of that is the determination by a minority but sizable group determined to erase all that makes us American.

Bit by bit they are making our religious, social, and historical heritage something bad, evil, unacceptable so that it can be erased from our memories and removed from the bedrock of Americanism that binds us into a culture. They throw the babies out with the bathwater on the pretext that if anything was unacceptable, everything was/is unacceptable.

We won't like the world they intend to create, however fuzzy it is in their own minds. Neither will they. But they are hellbent on getting us there just the same. it is a great national sickness that so far nobody has effected an anecdote or cure. If none is provided soon, the patient is done for.

We still have the things in your second paragraph the holidays, fish-fries, Christmas, Thanksgiving, that seem to be to be celebrated by most Americans as the demographics evolve.

However, having lived through 14 different presidents I'm now living in a future shock. People are becoming more impersonal because of the internet and communications. Thanksgiving is really Black Friday Eve. Christmas is gradually turning into shopping by Amazon who will even gift wrap and ship your selection to distant relations. Even then Black Friday is morphing into Cyber Monday. Retail is dying ā€“ Toys R Us, Sears...

I still get a daily newspaper. Nobody else on my street does. Simple sing-along songs: no more. The accordion, banjo, ukulele (yes I once played them), now are laughable. Acid rock and Rap... that's cool.

I don't see any evil in our religious, social and historical heritage. Sure I see it on the media incessantly, but I don't see it directly in my life. The ā€œwar on Christmasā€... I seemed to have missed it. Tearing down old statues... The locals have seen it but not me. In short I would miss many trends you are referring to if I didn't see it on TV.

From my perspective I still see most elements of Americana, but it has morphed into something more sterile. When we buy stuff, it's not from Mom and Pop stores anymore. Even their replacements ā€“ big name department stores are going. The millennials will be comfortable but it's changing in ways that I don't like. Yes, the cultural paradigm is shifting, but I don't see the ideological aspect affecting anyone I know. The changes that I see are more by ever evolving technology than whites becoming a minority.

The changes are subtle or not obvious in many places in America, but they are real, they are happening, and what is tolerated/allowed by us now will affect the culture of our progeny.

Some change is inevitable. The way we travel has largely changed from on foot, horseback, wagon train, stagecoach, rail, sailing ship etc.

Mom and Pop stores, unless they were skillful enough to adapt to retain validity, gave way to the big box stores like Sears, Toys r Us, the super market chains, etc.

And now those, unless they were skillful enough to read what people want and provide it, are giving away to the on line retailers who no doubt in turn will need to adapt to newer innovative ways to do business. As my husband and I are now no longer spring chickens and have some physical limitations to deal with plus do not have unlimited financial resources or family close to help, we greatly appreciate being able to do much of our shopping on line and then having the products delivered to our doorstep.

The wise recognize these trends and adapt to them.

But evenso, universal truths remain. People will always need products and services provided by other people. And most people will always choose liberty over captivity, goodness over evil, prosperity over poverty, and there is a stablility and comfort and security in cherished traditions and sense of community.

We are wise to protect and defend these things as important.

The question:

As we move towards a "White Minority" country will our cultural paradigm shift significantly?

Or...will the prevailing mainstream culture prove strong enough to shape the new demographics to conform to the "old" values?

Is a non-white majority America still "America"?

Hmmm..rules:

Civility

Address the questions

Explain your point
As we move towards a "White Minority" country will our cultural paradigm shift significantly?
No. I think you will see that when there is one other race that becomes the Majority.

Or...will the prevailing mainstream culture prove strong enough to shape the new demographics to conform to the "old" values?
It never has in the past. If you look at the public art in places that are primarily (if not majority by the numbers) Hispanic or African American...there is a marked difference between those pieces of art and the traditional art pieces in the forms of statuary, architecture, and murals/frescoes. Over time the term "traditional" takes on a new meaning. I am reminded by a passage in a book I read, I believe it was the landmark work on Globalization--The Lexus and the Olive Tree (I highly recommend it). Essentially, a family visits from Asia and lands at SFO or LAX or some other west coast airport. The little girl in the family remarks..."Mom, they have McDonalds here too." She may not know what a McDonalds is but she does recognize the signs.

Yes, of course.

The changes are subtle or not obvious in many places in America, but they are real, they are happening, and what is tolerated/allowed by us now will affect the culture of our progeny.

Some change is inevitable. The way we travel has largely changed from on foot, horseback, wagon train, stagecoach, rail, sailing ship etc.

Mom and Pop stores, unless they were skillful enough to adapt to retain validity, gave way to the big box stores like Sears, Toys r Us, the super market chains, etc.

And now those, unless they were skillful enough to read what people want and provide it, are giving away to the on line retailers who no doubt in turn will need to adapt to newer innovative ways to do business. As my husband and I are now no longer spring chickens and have some physical limitations to deal with plus do not have unlimited financial resources or family close to help, we greatly appreciate being able to do much of our shopping on line and then having the products delivered to our doorstep.

But evenso, universal truths remain. People will always need products and services provided by other people. And most people will always choose liberty over captivity, goodness over evil, prosperity over poverty, and there is a stablility and comfort and security in cherished traditions and sense of community.

I think we pretty much agree with these changes, but they didn't come about because of the question posed in the OP,
"Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?"

The largest cultural influences are not demographic but are, as I said in an earlier post,
Facebook, Twitter, and other social media,
Automation and a changing job paradigm,
Corporate consolidation,
Easy information access,
The loss of retail outlets to on-line purchasing.
A higher influence of corporations on life.

Most of those changes are inevitable, but not demographically induced. I also agree with your list of universal truths that should remain, except that the sense of community is being torn by a growing bipolar liberal-conservative chasm. I think those ideology differences above all things is destroying the cultural paradigm more than anything else. Both sides of the chasm are responsible.

I think we pretty much agree with these changes, but they didn't come about because of the question posed in the OP,
"Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?"

The largest cultural influences are not demographic but are, as I said in an earlier post,
Facebook, Twitter, and other social media,
Automation and a changing job paradigm,
Corporate consolidation,
Easy information access,
The loss of retail outlets to on-line purchasing.
A higher influence of corporations on life.

Most of those changes are inevitable, but not demographically induced. I also agree with your list of universal truths that should remain, except that the sense of community is being torn by a growing bipolar liberal-conservative chasm. I think those ideology differences above all things is destroying the cultural paradigm more than anything else. Both sides of the chasm are responsible.

Yes, a fuzzy but persistent and pervasive extremism--mostly from the Left but the Right cannot fully escape that characterization either--has so changed American culture that we are in serious danger of losing it altogether.

Yes, a fuzzy but persistent and pervasive extremism--mostly from the Left but the Right cannot fully escape that characterization either--has so changed American culture that we are in serious danger of losing it altogether.
That is where I would take issue. The Left see the extremism as mostly from the Right. But it is no wonder it is seen differently, because as I said there is a cultural chasm.

One problem is the various media programs are bipolar. Confirmation bias abounds. At this point I see no way out of the extremism.

I posted this on another thread.
If you have a Google account, do not surf the web while signed in even though they say it will be more fulfilling experience for you. They will collect every web site you go to and every product you look at and sell it to scads of ad firms. The browsers, Chrome, Google, and Internet explorer have a direct ability to pigeonhole you and filter your searches to what demographic they think you are. (I use DuckDuckGo.com as a default for every search I do. Non-tracking. Take a look)

To me that is a problem that is widening the left/right cultural divide. If they see you looking at Fox news on youtube, they will focus on conservative sites in any search you do, and promote bias confirmation. Of course a similar thing happens if you watch MSNBC on youtube. If you want an objective view of what's happening in the news, don't sign in and let them know your politics.

I hope I'm not straying too far from the OP topic.

The question:

Hmmm..rules:

Civility

Address the questions

Explain your point

The Demographic Change will happen inside of the Democratic Party first.
The old corrupt racist demagogues such as Hillary, Pelosi, Schumer and Warren in the Democratic Party are going to be replaced by young dumb left wing racist like Alexandria Cortez,
The glue that holds the Democratic Party's coalition together is made of hate.
The Democrats make politics about race because they are racist.
If you want to see the future of America take a look at the countries where the "new demographics" are comming from.

That is where I would take issue. The Left see the extremism as mostly from the Right. But it is no wonder it is seen differently, because as I said there is a cultural chasm.

One problem is the various media programs are bipolar. Confirmation bias abounds. At this point I see no way out of the extremism.

I posted this on another thread.
If you have a Google account, do not surf the web while signed in even though they say it will be more fulfilling experience for you. They will collect every web site you go to and every product you look at and sell it to scads of ad firms. The browsers, Chrome, Google, and Internet explorer have a direct ability to pigeonhole you and filter your searches to what demographic they think you are. (I use DuckDuckGo.com as a default for every search I do. Non-tracking. Take a look)

To me that is a problem that is widening the left/right cultural divide. If they see you looking at Fox news on youtube, they will focus on conservative sites in any search you do, and promote bias confirmation. Of course a similar thing happens if you watch MSNBC on youtube. If you want an objective view of what's happening in the news, don't sign in and let them know your politics.

I hope I'm not straying too far from the OP topic.

The right however does not control the unions, including the national teachers' union, is mostly unwelcome in academics theses days, is mostly unwelcome in most scientific institutions, is mostly unwelcome in the entertainment industry, does not control ANY of the major social media entities, and is poorly represented among the mainstream media. That gives the angry, vindictive (i.e. extremist) left a much MUCH larger forum and MUCH more power to distribute that anger and vindictiveness than what the more extremist right has access to.

That the right is seen as having any voice at all is pretty remarkable but because so many respond to the values and agenda of the right, that also speaks to its importance in the American culture.

That the Left fails to see, understand, or appreciate that has been affecting results at the ballot box, at least until now. We'll see how it goes in November.

But it definitely has had a negative effect on our culture.

Forum List

Back