Is Silver a good investment

Not a great investment, prices are volatile.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.

A thing with commodities, including precious metals, is that no matter what happens to the economy, they will retain some value. Our monetary system could collapse, and our dollars could become worthless. Banks can fail. Companies can fail, rendering any stocks, binds or other securities based on them worthless.

But silver and gold were valuable long before any of these other means of storing wealth even existed, and silver and gold will be valuable no matter what happens to these other media.

People keep saying that... but that isn't how it happens in the real world.

Our monetary system could collapse... sure. It could, in theory. But even then, in most countries you don't see people resorting to gold.

When Greece was in the worst of their crash, people didn't resort to gold. Because stores still didn't take gold.

In Venezuela, people still don't buy stuff with gold. Because there was nothing to buy. Doesn't matter if you have gold, if there is no food. You can't live off of gold.

My point is, if the country becomes so wrecked that money becomes worthless... gold generally doesn't help you.

There are few exceptions to that.

For example, in Zimbabwe, the local currency became so worthless, that people resorted to gold. But you have to keep in mind that the value of assets and tradable commodities existed already, and still had value. The companies in Zimbabwe still existed.

It was exclusively their currency that was worthless, not anything else in the system.

And in a fairly short amount of time, people started trading in US dollars, and Euros.

So even in that system, it was pretty quick that everyone switched to a recognized currency, not gold.

No country trades in metals for any period of time. And it is unlikely to ever happen here in the US.

I will stick with my gold and silver. Paper money is only valued on what you believe it to be. Precious metals will always be valuable. NO matter how much propaganda you preach.

I didn't say you shouldn't stick with your gold and silver. By all means, do whatever you want.

You asked if it was a good investments, and the answer is no.

And far as "propaganda"... 100 years of economic history, is not propaganda. If you can't figure out the difference, maybe you should keep quiet, and learn from people who do.

I didn't ask about anything, maybe OP did. I know what I am doing. I have more money then you will ever see. :D I can help people in making the money they want though. You are just focusing on a useless source.

I don't need to have as much money as you. I don't even care. Why would that matter to me, if you have more money than me?

Are you motivated by greedy and envy or something?

In my world, I want everyone to win. Nothing would make me more happy than to see everyone succeed. Why I want you to have less money than me?

That's dumb. Childish thing to say.

But if someone asks what is a better investment, factually speaking, my mutual funds have more than doubled in value. I've averaged 14% rate of return for the last 10 years.

Certainly better than any investment in gold or silver, and by a wide margin.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.

A thing with commodities, including precious metals, is that no matter what happens to the economy, they will retain some value. Our monetary system could collapse, and our dollars could become worthless. Banks can fail. Companies can fail, rendering any stocks, binds or other securities based on them worthless.

But silver and gold were valuable long before any of these other means of storing wealth even existed, and silver and gold will be valuable no matter what happens to these other media.

Our monetary system could collapse... sure. It could, in theory. But even then, in most countries you don't see people resorting to gold.

When Greece was in the worst of their crash, people didn't resort to gold. Because stores still didn't take gold.

In Venezuela, people still don't buy stuff with gold. Because there was nothing to buy. Doesn't matter if you have gold, if there is no food. You can't live off of gold.

My point is, if the country becomes so wrecked that money becomes worthless... gold generally doesn't help you.

For example, in Zimbabwe, the local currency became so worthless, that people resorted to gold. But you have to keep in mind that the value of assets and tradable commodities existed already, and still had value. The companies in Zimbabwe still existed.

It was exclusively their currency that was worthless, not anything else in the system.

And in a fairly short amount of time, people started trading in US dollars, and Euros.

So even in that system, it was pretty quick that everyone switched to a recognized currency, not gold.

No country trades in metals for any period of time. And it is unlikely to ever happen here in the US.

I will stick with my gold and silver. Paper money is only valued on what you believe it to be. Precious metals will always be valuable. NO matter how much propaganda you preach.

I didn't say you shouldn't stick with your gold and silver. By all means, do whatever you want.

And far as "propaganda"... 100 years of economic history, is not propaganda. If you can't figure out the difference, maybe you should keep quiet, and learn from people who do.

I didn't ask about anything, maybe OP did. I know what I am doing. I have more money then you will ever see. :D I can help people in making the money they want though. You are just focusing on a useless source.

I don't need to have as much money as you. I don't even care. Why would that matter to me, if you have more money than me?

In my world, I want everyone to win. Nothing would make me more happy than to see everyone succeed. Why I want you to have less money than me?

But if someone asks what is a better investment, factually speaking, my mutual funds have more than doubled in value. I've averaged 14% rate of return for the last 10 years.

Sounds more like you are whining because you don't understand how energy is used. Do you need help or are you going to think you know what you are talking about?

Sounds more like you are whining because you don't understand how energy is used. Do you need help or are you going to think you know what you are talking about?

Did I say I cared how I sound to you? Did I give you any indication that how you take my posts matter to me?
You keep coming across as utterly childish, and then you think I care how I sound to you? Grow up? Try growing up.

I do know what I am talking about. Thanks. Whether you realize I know what I'm talking about, or not... is your problem. Not mine.

Ya!! :D My collection of gold and silver. Equals at around 5k at this point.
My hundred dollar bill collection is worth more... ;)
DSC03025.JPG

View attachment 455682

Worth more for now but when those economies crash it will be better used for wiping your ass. I suggest taking a percentage of it and buy precious metals and a bit of bit coin. But great job in accumulating all that energy by the way. :D

Worth more for now but when those economies crash it will be better used for wiping your ass. I suggest taking a percentage of it and buy precious metals and a bit of bit coin. But great job in accumulating all that energy by the way. :D
I already have a bunch of silver and gold. As well as other investments. The best long term portfolios are diverse, with stocks, bonds, physical metals, arms, ammo, collectibles, and other hard assets.

I already have a bunch of silver and gold. As well as other investments. The best long term portfolios are diverse, with stocks, bonds, physical metals, arms, ammo, collectibles, and other hard assets.

What do you want to create or do you just want to sit on it?

I have some options if you want to explore but I don't blame you if you want to sit on it also Orangecat.

View attachment 455682

Again, how many time in all human history has that happened? Even in the few times it has happened, when did they use metal to buy food? Almost never. I can count the number of times on one hand.

Could it happen? Sure. But people said the same thing as you, back in the 1920s and 1930s, and I didn't see people walking around with bags of cold or silver in the 1930s.

In the mean time, people who invested in productive assets, have routinely, for over 100 years, done significantly better than those with shiny blocks.

Silver sits in your safe and doesn't do anything to make you money.

If you buy a house, you can rent it to tenants and that will make you money.

If you buy a restaurant, you can hire employees to run it, and that will make you money.

If you buy tools, you can use them in your work and that will make you money.

Silver is probably one of the worst investment there is.

Silver sits in your safe and doesn't do anything to make you money.

If you buy a house, you can rent it to tenants and that will make you money.

If you buy a restaurant, you can hire employees to run it, and that will make you money.

If you buy tools, you can use them in your work and that will make you money.

Silver is probably one of the worst investment there is.

You can also lose all your money if it goes the wrong way. Silver is a sound way of having money if the dollar ever fails. And with Biden killing all the jobs and the devaluation of paper, it is a sound way to hold on to your savings without using a bank that can also fail.

I can play guitar and have always thought about getting in the business without the record companies and actually make good rock music.
I've been playing rock guitar for 38 years. Spent 20 of them in LA playing in bands. What kind of music do you play?

I can play guitar and have always thought about getting in the business without the record companies and actually make good rock music.
I've been playing rock guitar for 38 years. Spent 20 of them in LA playing in bands. What kind of music do you play?

Well, what do you think of my idea? We could even create a place for musicians to come to, to make their music and videos! I would love to be a part of that!! Away from record companies and we can bring back good music again!!

Forum List

Back