Is Silver a good investment

Not a great investment, prices are volatile.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.
During the apocalypse, it'll be one of the few things of of intrinsic value.

Nope. Survivalist food kits will go way farther.
Food is only one part of the equation....Food, coin, guns-n-ammo, medical supplies, radios, access to clean water....

Indeed. But if you're hungry, lasagna looks better than silver.
You think I'll have better luck trading some silver coin or lasagna for a gallon of gasoline ?

when gold goes up, silver goes up more.
Gold was hovering at $300 an ounce for years until it went to almost $2000 between 2002 and 2007 and has remained above $1500, while silver barely changed. Just saying.
Silver was around $5 - $7 when gold was at $300....Yes, I've been buying and selling them both for that long.

Do you know what the cost is to mine silver nowadays? If its relatively low, and easy to meet the demand, compared to gold, that would be an explanation

Gold was hovering at $300 an ounce for years until it went to almost $2000 between 2002 and 2007 and has remained above $1500, while silver barely changed. Just saying.
Silver was around $5 - $7 when gold was at $300....Yes, I've been buying and selling them both for that long.

Do you know what the cost is to mine silver nowadays? If its relatively low, and easy to meet the demand, compared to gold, that would be an explanation
If it were that easy, then there probably would have been enough silver mined to get the gold/silver price ratio back in line.

Precious metals usually increase in value during politically unstable times. I bought a lot of US silver dollars around $10 oz a little after 9-11 and silver is around $27 per oz last time I looked.

I have a lot of silver and we will see. Good to have either way.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.
During the apocalypse, it'll be one of the few things of of intrinsic value.

Nope. Survivalist food kits will go way farther.
Food is only one part of the equation....Food, coin, guns-n-ammo, medical supplies, radios, access to clean water....

Indeed. But if you're hungry, lasagna looks better than silver.
You think I'll have better luck trading some silver coin or lasagna for a gallon of gasoline ?

Could be.

Yes. It's high now but if you can catch a little dip it's a good investment. It is a hedge against our withering dollar. Problem is, if it goes up and you want to take profits, what are you going to do, exchange it for dollars?
Junk silver is actual currency. You can use it if times get bad. You can't use gold. It wouldn't hurt to buy a couple bags of junk silver, and sit on them.
I bought quite a bit of it in the 80's when it had dropped to $5/ounce and have held onto it ever since. I tried to get silver that also had some numismatic value as well, but not always. I have 25 one-ounce silver Engelhart prospector rounds that I paid $100 for. As of today, they're worth roughly $675 based on spot price.

Ya!! :D My collection of gold and silver. Equals at around 5k at this point.

Attachments

• received_1041707632992739.jpeg
    received_1041707632992739.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 17

If it were that easy, then there probably would have been enough silver mined to get the gold/silver price ratio back in line.

I haven't made an investment in silver. But what I would want to know is the price of bringing new supply into the market (mining costs) as well as the amount of silverware and silver coins sitting in people houses waiting to be sold, as well as the need for silver for batteries, dental work,etc.,

I heard someone say that silver is in need for electric cars. How much is the question.

A thing with commodities, including precious metals, is that no matter what happens to the economy, they will retain some value. Our monetary system could collapse, and our dollars could become worthless. Banks can fail. Companies can fail, rendering any stocks, binds or other securities based on them worthless.

But silver and gold were valuable long before any of these other means of storing wealth even existed, and silver and gold will be valuable no matter what happens to these other media.

Precious metals usually increase in value during politically unstable times. I bought a lot of US silver dollars around $10 oz a little after 9-11 and silver is around $27 per oz last time I looked.

No. Silver, and all commodities are absolutely horrible investments.

You didn't say how much money you spent on silver, but let's assume for the sake of simplicity, that you spent $10,000 on silver.

Taking the numbers you gave, $10 in Sep 2001, to $27 in Jan 2021, that investment would be worth approximately $27,000.

If you had taken that same $10,000 and invested it into an index fund, which simply follows the market, and rarely does better or worse than the market over all.....

$10,000 invested Sep 2001, until Jan 2021, would be worth....

Screenshot_2021-02-10 Free Historical Stock Market Calculator Noel Whittaker.png

Roughly $45,700. Almost double what you have with silver.

But that assumes that you only do as well as the market, which averaged a 7.89% gain. I would never invest in a mutual fund with such lousy returns. One of my stock funds, had averaged 13% rate of return.

If you invested $10,000 in 2001, in a mutual fund like mine that made a 13% rate of return, by 2021, you would have $115,000.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 11.01.22 PM.png

Silver and Gold and others, are not good investments. In fact, it's barely above inflation. $10,000 from 2001 to 2021, is about $15,000. So $27,000 is barely better than buying government bonds. Lousy rate of return.

Now still, it's better than not saving for retirement. I'll grant you that.

But if you ask which is the better investment... I'll take the $115 Thousand, or the $45 Thousand, over the $27,000 grand in silver.

And by the way, historically silver has been cheaper than $27/oz. In fact more most of the last 100 years, it was under $10. And even if you back up one year ago, it was $14/oz.

There is no logical reason to believe Silver or any other precious metal will stay high.

A thing with commodities, including precious metals, is that no matter what happens to the economy, they will retain some value. Our monetary system could collapse, and our dollars could become worthless. Banks can fail. Companies can fail, rendering any stocks, binds or other securities based on them worthless.

But silver and gold were valuable long before any of these other means of storing wealth even existed, and silver and gold will be valuable no matter what happens to these other media.

People keep saying that... but that isn't how it happens in the real world.

Our monetary system could collapse... sure. It could, in theory. But even then, in most countries you don't see people resorting to gold.

When Greece was in the worst of their crash, people didn't resort to gold. Because stores still didn't take gold.

In Venezuela, people still don't buy stuff with gold. Because there was nothing to buy. Doesn't matter if you have gold, if there is no food. You can't live off of gold.

My point is, if the country becomes so wrecked that money becomes worthless... gold generally doesn't help you.

There are few exceptions to that.

For example, in Zimbabwe, the local currency became so worthless, that people resorted to gold. But you have to keep in mind that the value of assets and tradable commodities existed already, and still had value. The companies in Zimbabwe still existed.

It was exclusively their currency that was worthless, not anything else in the system.

And in a fairly short amount of time, people started trading in US dollars, and Euros.

So even in that system, it was pretty quick that everyone switched to a recognized currency, not gold.

No country trades in metals for any period of time. And it is unlikely to ever happen here in the US.

Silver has gone up nicely recently, but I prefer gold. Far more valuable.
Guns and ammo are king if shit really hits the fan, though. Diversify your portfolio.

You didn't say how much money you spent on silver, but let's assume for the sake of simplicity, that you spent $10,000 on silver.

Taking the numbers you gave, $10 in Sep 2001, to $27 in Jan 2021, that investment would be worth approximately $27,000.

If you had taken that same $10,000 and invested it into an index fund, which simply follows the market, and rarely does better or worse than the market over all.....

View attachment 455666

But that assumes that you only do as well as the market, which averaged a 7.89% gain. I would never invest in a mutual fund with such lousy returns. One of my stock funds, had averaged 13% rate of return.

If you invested $10,000 in 2001, in a mutual fund like mine that made a 13% rate of return, by 2021, you would have $115,000.

View attachment 455672

Silver and Gold and others, are not good investments. In fact, it's barely above inflation. $10,000 from 2001 to 2021, is about $15,000. So $27,000 is barely better than buying government bonds. Lousy rate of return.

But if you ask which is the better investment... I'll take the $115 Thousand, or the $45 Thousand, over the $27,000 grand in silver.

And by the way, historically silver has been cheaper than $27/oz. In fact more most of the last 100 years, it was under $10. And even if you back up one year ago, it was $14/oz.

There is no logical reason to believe Silver or any other precious metal will stay high.

Then rely on your paper fake money. :D :D :D

Our monetary system could collapse... sure. It could, in theory. But even then, in most countries you don't see people resorting to gold.

When Greece was in the worst of their crash, people didn't resort to gold. Because stores still didn't take gold.

In Venezuela, people still don't buy stuff with gold. Because there was nothing to buy. Doesn't matter if you have gold, if there is no food. You can't live off of gold.

My point is, if the country becomes so wrecked that money becomes worthless... gold generally doesn't help you.

For example, in Zimbabwe, the local currency became so worthless, that people resorted to gold. But you have to keep in mind that the value of assets and tradable commodities existed already, and still had value. The companies in Zimbabwe still existed.

It was exclusively their currency that was worthless, not anything else in the system.

And in a fairly short amount of time, people started trading in US dollars, and Euros.

So even in that system, it was pretty quick that everyone switched to a recognized currency, not gold.

No country trades in metals for any period of time. And it is unlikely to ever happen here in the US.

I will stick with my gold and silver. Paper money is only valued on what you believe it to be. Precious metals will always be valuable. NO matter how much propaganda you preach.

View attachment 455666

View attachment 455672

Then rely on your paper fake money. :D :D :D

Will you please just shut up? That is an absolutely stupid, and idiotic response.

Are you telling me that when you pay your taxes on your home, that it isn't with "paper fake money :D :D :D " Hmmm?

If you buy food today with "paper fake money" then keep your mouth shut. If you pay your electric bill, heating, or water bill, with "paper fake money" then SHUT UP.

You have nothing to talk about, then keep your mouth closed. Childish worthless trash. Get off the forum hypocrite.

I will stick with my gold and silver. Paper money is only valued on what you believe it to be. Precious metals will always be valuable. NO matter how much propaganda you preach.

I didn't say you shouldn't stick with your gold and silver. By all means, do whatever you want.

You asked if it was a good investments, and the answer is no.

And far as "propaganda"... 100 years of economic history, is not propaganda. If you can't figure out the difference, maybe you should keep quiet, and learn from people who do.

I didn't say you shouldn't stick with your gold and silver. By all means, do whatever you want.

You asked if it was a good investments, and the answer is no.

And far as "propaganda"... 100 years of economic history, is not propaganda. If you can't figure out the difference, maybe you should keep quiet, and learn from people who do.

I didn't ask about anything, maybe OP did. I know what I am doing. I have more money then you will ever see. :D I can help people in making the money they want though. You are just focusing on a useless source.

Forum List

Back