Is Silver a good investment

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Precious metals usually increase in value during politically unstable times. I bought a lot of US silver dollars around $10 oz a little after 9-11 and silver is around $27 per oz last time I looked.

I own a lot of silver.

And a little bit of gold.

Central banks around the world have injected an incredible amount of money in the system, unlike anything we've seen before. This means that almost all asset prices are going up.

I invested in silver when it was $20 last year, because the gold/silver ratio was way above 80. That's too high. Since then, it has fallen into the 60s.

Silver is a hyper-beta play on gold. The market is much smaller, so when gold goes up, silver goes up more. I think gold will go to $3000 or more.

Silver is also an industrial metal. It is used in electronic vehicles. And there are going to be a lot more EVs in the future.

Don't listen to the ideologues. I've invested in gold and silver since the 90s, and have made lots of money in both. And I would implore you not to listen to the gold bugs or those who are advancing a political agenda. Just look at the supply/demand dynamics and the monetary conditions. The ideologues will just lose you money.

My price target for silver is $50-$75

Not a great investment, prices are volatile.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.

We aren't talking about re-mortgaging your house to buy the stuff. Amazingly you can get a good deal in silver bullion on the internet. I bought a 5 oz bar on Ebay from Scottsdale foundry in Az. recently for about $170. It's kind of reassuring to hold a silver bar in your hands while the world is going nuts.

I bought Silver to give to my Grand Child.
Yes, He will get 1 on Birthday 1, then 2 on Birthday 2, etc.

Do you math challenged RWI need a better explanation? We know that answer.

Yes. It's high now but if you can catch a little dip it's a good investment. It is a hedge against our withering dollar. Problem is, if it goes up and you want to take profits, what are you going to do, exchange it for dollars?
Junk silver is actual currency. You can use it if times get bad. You can't use gold. It wouldn't hurt to buy a couple bags of junk silver, and sit on them.

Last edited:
You used to be able to snag a decent Silver Dollar on Ebay for less than $20 with reasonable postage but everything is over $50 these days. A 1/2 oz silver round for a gift to a kid can still be had for a reasonable price.

Yes. It's high now but if you can catch a little dip it's a good investment. It is a hedge against our withering dollar. Problem is, if it goes up and you want to take profits, what are you going to do, exchange it for dollars?
Junk silver is actually currency. You can use it if times get bad. You can't use gold. It wouldn't hurt to buy a couple bags of junk silver, and sit on them.
I have several hundred face value in junk silver.....The way money is being printed up, it's unlikely to be worth any less than it is now.

If the price of silver gets high enough, they just mine more of it. Its a tough metal to really get a big increase on I think, when you consider the amount that's still lying in the ground.

Precious metals usually increase in value during politically unstable times. I bought a lot of US silver dollars around $10 oz a little after 9-11 and silver is around $27 per oz last time I looked.
No. do not trust the RWI posters on this site.
Sell all of your silver as fast as you can.
it is going back to $5 per ounce.

SELL, SELL, SELL.

I'll give you $7 per ounce.
I'll meet you at RWI Drive. Anytown USA.

when gold goes up, silver goes up more.
Gold was hovering at $300 an ounce for years until it went to almost $2000 between 2002 and 2007 and has remained above $1500, while silver barely changed. Just saying.
Silver was around $5 - $7 when gold was at $300....Yes, I've been buying and selling them both for that long.

Not a great investment, prices are volatile.

Okay to have a bit, but remember, when trading during the Apocalypse, it won't be worth much.
During the apocalypse, it'll be one of the few things of of intrinsic value.

Nope. Survivalist food kits will go way farther.
Food is only one part of the equation....Food, coin, guns-n-ammo, medical supplies, radios, access to clean water....

Indeed. But if you're hungry, lasagna looks better than silver.

Forum List

Back