Is “shylock” a racist term?

Well... Shylock was Venetian Jewish moneylender in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, this is where the term comes from. He is the main antagonist. In the climax of the play, he is defeated and converts to Christianity. His characterization consisted of stereotypes, greediness and vengefulness, for example. England during that time was considered antisemitic, all Jews had been expelled from England 1290 and it wasn't until Oliver Cromwell were Jews allowed back into the country.

Given all this, I'd say that the term is unquestionably antisemitic. Racist? Is Judaism a race?

Video sound is bad . But to answer the question I have heard it used as a term for Jews. I believe it comes from a character in a story I just can't remember the name.

Well... Shylock was Venetian Jewish moneylender in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, this is where the term comes from. He is the main antagonist. In the climax of the play, he is defeated and converts to Christianity. His characterization consisted of stereotypes, greediness and vengefulness, for example. England during that time was considered antisemitic, all Jews had been expelled from England 1290 and it wasn't until Oliver Cromwell were Jews allowed back into the country.

Given all this, I'd say that the term is unquestionably antisemitic. Racist? Is Judaism a race?
I’ve met Irish Jews , Persian Jews , Jews from Lisbon , Russian Jews , Dutch Jews , German Jews ... But Jewish is more of an Ethnicity if you ask me ( As a practitioner of Judaism )

Video sound is bad . But to answer the question I have heard it used as a term for Jews. I believe it comes from a character in a story I just can't remember the name.

"Merchant of Venice".

The character Shylock the Jew attempts to revenge himself on Antonio (a non-Jew) for insults and bullying. When Antonio borrows a large sum from Shylock and then fails to repay it. Shylock say he will accept "a pound of flesh" in exchange for the owed money ... a nice way of saying he will accept Antonio's death.

In the end of Merchant of Venice ... Shylock loses everything ... he loses all his property, his only daughter runs away to marry a xtian, and he if forced to convert to xtianity.

Because ... according to Venetian Law, Shylock, a Jew, is an alien in his home country.

"If it be proved against an alien That by direct or indirect attempts He seek the life of any citizen, The party 'gainst the which he doth contrive Shall seize one half his goods. The other half Comes to the privy coffer of the state, And the offender’s life lies in the mercy Of the Duke only 'gainst all other voice"

Okay so Biden is randomly referring to a character in a Shakespeare play, and totally not referring to a Jewish lawyer.

Joe certainly knows a lot of racial and ethnic terms that is considered bigotry and racism. If he is pressed on this one, he will the media that he was as a younger man when he was Jewish, a Rabbi.

Forum List

Back