Is Purging Voter Rolls "Cheating?"

So you'd have everyone re-register every 2 years?
No.

Initially, a registration process would be required. Say in 2024. When you vote, you get added to that States registered voter database. That registration is valid for the next two elections.

If you don't vote in the election following the next election, your name will not be carried forward to that election after that. So, if you die, then your registration is automatically removed from the database.

if you miss two elections, you will be required to re-register for the third election.

Every registered voter must re-register every twelve years regardless.

In essence, every time you vote, you are validated as a registered voter.

In order to vote, you must provide a valid ID that proves you have a right to vote in this country. i.e., you are a citizen.

No.

Initially, a registration process would be required. Say in 2024. When you vote, you get added to that States registered voter database. That registration is valid for the next two elections.

If you don't vote in the election following the next election, your name will not be carried forward to that election after that. So, if you die, then your registration is automatically removed from the database.

if you miss two elections, you will be required to re-register for the third election.

Every registered voter must re-register every twelve years regardless.

In essence, every time you vote, you are validated as a registered voter.

In order to vote, you must provide a valid ID that proves you have a right to vote in this country. i.e., you are a citizen.
Do you really vote in every election? Most people do not.

Are you talking about elections in November only? Because there are primaries as well. And there are years when there are no elections. Then there are years when there are bond referendums, propositions, etc...

And I would disagree with that
It is easy to overlook and discard a post card with other junk mail.
They should start with a post card and send a registered letter before they finally purge you.
If the registered letter comes back un accepted, then purge the voter
registered mail costs like 4-5 dollars....certified was 1.50 when i was working.....that can all add up.....

Dead people are less than half of the problem. The bigger part is people who have moved, and may thus be listed as registered voters in two (or more) precincts or states.

But there is a deeper issue at play. Democrats want EVERYONE to vote. If they could send canvassers out to every residence, campsite, homeless shelter, and nursing home, they would do it. If they could eliminate the requirement to register to vote, they would do it. Low-information, uninvolved voters are a Democrat "gold mine."

Republicans, on the other hand, believe that voting is serious business that should not be done promiscuously, casually, or in fact, by people who are too incompetent, disconnected, or uninvolved to take a few simple steps to register and vote.

Democrats promote every initiative that allows low-information, low-involvement people to vote, and incidentally facilitates fraud. These include, same day registration, motor-voter, mail-in balloting, voting "season" rather than a fixed Election Day, eliminate requirements for positive ID.

Accordingly, when the two parties speak of a "threat to democracy," they are talking about two very different things. To Democrats, the very requirement that people must register to vote is a threat to democracy because for some people (i.e., idiots) the act of pre-registration is a challenge. To Republicans, "ballot harvesting" is a threat to democracy because it facilitates the votes of people who should not be voting in the first place.

Purging the voter rolls is a normal and necessary measure, intended to reduce the threat of people voting in multiple districts, and serves the legitimate purpose of administrative "housekeeping." Which is why Democrats don't like it.
You are being dishonest!

Democrats are NOT against registering to vote and never have been. Why lie about it??? Seriously!?

Republicans do not honor the constitution, and think they know better than the constitution, on who should be allowed to vote.... they think they alone get to pick the voters.... And that is unconstitutional! Every citizen, has the right to be able to participate in their own government with voting for the representation of their choice.... You don't get to exclude them, as you want to do....you don't get to determine if they are smart or dumb....

No where does the Constitution give you that privilege and power.

It is not cheating if it is done well in advance of the election so that voters have ample warning they are being purged.

There should be multiple attempts by various means to notify a voter they are being purged.

If a person who was purged shows up at the polls, they should be allowed to cast a provisional ballot pending proving their residence
No, you mail out a card to the address of record. It's the voter's responsibility to keep a correct address on file. If the card isn't returned signed, remove the "voter" from the rolls. He or she can vote on an alternate ballot on election day that requires proof of legal ability to vote before being counted.

That is why you try to do most with a post card
Email or text would be easier
Except texts and emails are no respecter of locality. A person who moves often could be registered in ten or twenty counties or even states and vote in all of them under your system.

Except texts and emails are no respecter of locality. A person who moves often could be registered in ten or twenty counties or even states and vote in all of them under your system.
That is where email comes in
After you have missed a few elections they can notify you that they are planning to drop you and ask if you still reside in the district

People can register and vote in multiple localities
But they do so at the risk of a lengthy jail term

Who would risk it?

That is where email comes in
After you have missed a few elections they can notify you that they are planning to drop you and ask if you still reside in the district

People can register and vote in multiple localities
But they do so at the risk of a lengthy jail term

Who would risk it?
If they don’t live in the jurisdiction any more, the risk is zero. If you still want to vote, and have to fill out a provisional ballot, re-registering is simple.

I would not call it cheating unless it somehow reduces the ability of certain people to vote in a deliberate way, that is illegitimate.

For example, purging the voter rolls of dead people to keep dead people from voting is legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who haven't voted in several elections is also legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who are not citizens or not old enough to vote is legitimate.

But it could lead to problems that cause disenfranchisement.

For example, if Peter Mayfield - a name I randomly made up - has not voted in a decade, purging his name is legitimate. But what if the wrong Peter Mayfield is taken off? I searched on that name - again I made it up about a minute ago - and found a Peter Mayfield in the Dallas restaurant promotion business, a Peter Mayfield on Facebook, a Peter Mayfield in the 1940 census, and a Peter Mayfield who is a stuntman.

Purging dead people could cause the same issue. But the solution is easy and obvious. It need not be at all partisan.

Require picture ID to register, and then picture ID to vote. Then who cares of a dead guy is still on the voter rolls? He won't show up with a picture ID unless the Democrats people wishing to cheat go through much more effort than cheaters are usually willing to put forth.

Picture ID doesn't make it impossible to cheat, but it makes it harder which is all Republicans people who want to stop election cheating can reasonbly ask.
IM with liberals on this one...dead people, pets,and disney characters should be allowed to vote just like everyone else...think about it, it just makes sense...right

If they don’t live in the jurisdiction any more, the risk is zero. If you still want to vote, and have to fill out a provisional ballot, re-registering is simple.
if you vote twice you go to jail

Why risk it?

It isn't cheating.

Nor is it cheating to have a bunch of long-inactive voters on the voter rolls.

The simple solution to this is as follows:

Every 10 years--Lets say a year that ends in a 5 (2025, 2035, 2045, etc...) if someone hasn't used their Voter Registration Card, void the card. I was looking at an old VRC of mine yesterday at an address I no longer live at in a state where I no longer live. I wouldn't be surprised to see that I'm still on the rolls in that state. I didn't contact anyone at the voter registration office when I moved.

When you hear a politician talking about "cutting spending to the bone", the person who could be doing the above loses their job. It is the price you pay for a "small" government. Elections should be expensive.
Good idea, but I would make voter id cards expire every 4 years. IMO 10 years is too long.

It isn't cheating.

Nor is it cheating to have a bunch of long-inactive voters on the voter rolls.

The simple solution to this is as follows:

Every 10 years--Lets say a year that ends in a 5 (2025, 2035, 2045, etc...) if someone hasn't used their Voter Registration Card, void the card. I was looking at an old VRC of mine yesterday at an address I no longer live at in a state where I no longer live. I wouldn't be surprised to see that I'm still on the rolls in that state. I didn't contact anyone at the voter registration office when I moved.

When you hear a politician talking about "cutting spending to the bone", the person who could be doing the above loses their job. It is the price you pay for a "small" government. Elections should be expensive.
Those are the ballots that are trafficked. That is why people showed up in 2020 and were told they already voted.

You are being dishonest!

Democrats are NOT against registering to vote and never have been. Why lie about it??? Seriously!?

Republicans do not honor the constitution, and think they know better than the constitution, on who should be allowed to vote.... they think they alone get to pick the voters.... And that is unconstitutional! Every citizen, has the right to be able to participate in their own government with voting for the representation of their choice.... You don't get to exclude them, as you want to do....you don't get to determine if they are smart or dumb....

No where does the Constitution give you that privilege and power.
That is because they register illegals.

Forum List

Back