Is Purging Voter Rolls "Cheating?"

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I would not call it cheating unless it somehow reduces the ability of certain people to vote in a deliberate way, that is illegitimate.

For example, purging the voter rolls of dead people to keep dead people from voting is legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who haven't voted in several elections is also legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who are not citizens or not old enough to vote is legitimate.

But it could lead to problems that cause disenfranchisement.

For example, if Peter Mayfield - a name I randomly made up - has not voted in a decade, purging his name is legitimate. But what if the wrong Peter Mayfield is taken off? I searched on that name - again I made it up about a minute ago - and found a Peter Mayfield in the Dallas restaurant promotion business, a Peter Mayfield on Facebook, a Peter Mayfield in the 1940 census, and a Peter Mayfield who is a stuntman.

Purging dead people could cause the same issue. But the solution is easy and obvious. It need not be at all partisan.

Require picture ID to register, and then picture ID to vote. Then who cares of a dead guy is still on the voter rolls? He won't show up with a picture ID unless the Democrats people wishing to cheat go through much more effort than cheaters are usually willing to put forth.

Picture ID doesn't make it impossible to cheat, but it makes it harder which is all Republicans people who want to stop election cheating can reasonbly ask.

It isn't cheating.

Nor is it cheating to have a bunch of long-inactive voters on the voter rolls.

The simple solution to this is as follows:

Every 10 years--Lets say a year that ends in a 5 (2025, 2035, 2045, etc...) if someone hasn't used their Voter Registration Card, void the card. I was looking at an old VRC of mine yesterday at an address I no longer live at in a state where I no longer live. I wouldn't be surprised to see that I'm still on the rolls in that state. I didn't contact anyone at the voter registration office when I moved.

When you hear a politician talking about "cutting spending to the bone", the person who could be doing the above loses their job. It is the price you pay for a "small" government. Elections should be expensive.

Last edited:
Purging the rolls is not cheating.

If you are actively voting, in your precinct, then you will show as being active. IF you do not vote in two consecutive elections your registration should be dropped.

At issue here is the mailing out of ballots. Democrats have used these rolls to get millions of legal ballots out for illegal use. These ballots collect in nursing homes, apartment complexes, and other areas that have high turnover rates of people. This is where the ballot aggregators go to collect up these ballots and then fill them out and stuff ballot boxes. Many people interviewed stated that they were given money for these ballots to keep their mouths shut. What would you do if you knew they would give you money for these ballots? most people today would take the money.

Step one for democrats, is to get the ballots out there so you can commit the fraud on the election. After that the issue is academic. Then its don't look at the signatures... and poll workers in your pocket can do that.

if the register of voters in every state does their job,the voting rolls should be up to date in every state....the only problems may come from apt buildings...houses are much more stable......apt dwellers move quite often.....

Purging, dead voters should come right when they die and a death certificate is issued... Election offices should get notification.

Felon lists are notoriously disenfranchising legal citizens of their vote.... Too many common names among felons and regular citizens.... Not certain how to correct such, but there has to be some way to do it without capturing a mass amount of legal voting citizens?

Purging people who have not voted in two consecutive presidential elections should not be done without notification, and an opportunity for the citizen to reply to keep them active.... Or in the least, have these citizens be allowed to vote provisional ballot and election offices allowed time to verify the citizen stripped from the rolls to vote, if they do show up.

Purging, dead voters should come right when they die and a death certificate is issued... Election offices should get notification.

Felon lists are notoriously disenfranchising legal citizens of their vote.... Too many common names among felons and regular citizens.... Not certain how to correct such, but there has to be some way to do it without capturing a mass amount of legal voting citizens?

Purging people who have not voted in two consecutive presidential elections should not be done without notification, and an opportunity for the citizen to reply to keep them active.... Or in the least, have predicted these citizens be allowed to vote provisional ballot and election offices allowed time to verify the citizen stripped from the rolls to vote, if they do show up.
in California Care, the registrar of voters used to send out cards to all the names on their lists every 2 years i believe it was....to give the people a chance to correct their status.....if they moved or were unknown at that address the PO would send the cards back with that info....then its up to them to make corrections.....

It is not cheating if it is done well in advance of the election so that voters have ample warning they are being purged.

There should be multiple attempts by various means to notify a voter they are being purged.

If a person who was purged shows up at the polls, they should be allowed to cast a provisional ballot pending proving their residence

I honestly don't see the need to take a dead person off the rolls. A few or several months ago, it was announced that Facebook now has more dead people as users than live ones. People have died without having the courtesy to delete their accounts and young people are trending away from Facebook. Since they don't post anymore who cares?

I know voting is far more important Facebooking, I'm not making that comparison. But the principle is the same. As long as they aren't active, they can't affect anything.
I agree with that, and I'm not sure that most felons are that policially active anyway. Just leave them on the rolls, but make it a felony to even try to vote if you're a felon.
Purging people who have not voted in two consecutive presidential elections should not be done without notification, and an opportunity for the citizen to reply to keep them active.... Or in the least, have these citizens be allowed to vote provisional ballot and election offices allowed time to verify the citizen stripped from the rolls to vote, if they do show up.
I don't think this should be done at all. There is no requirement that one vote with a certain frequency to maintain the right to vote.

I'm sure lots of people who had foresakened the political process due to the clear collusion between the so-called two parties were suddenly interested again when Trump ran. Many who did not even bother voting for Trump in 2016 likely saw how good he was for the country and turned out for him in 2020.

Unless they had been purged.

in California Care, the registrar of voters used to send out cards to all the names on their lists every 2 years i believe it was....to give the people a chance to correct their status.....if they moved or were unknown at that address the PO would send the cards back with that info....then its up to them to make corrections.....
Massachusetts did that too, and we thru out that post card with other junk mail when we moved there, not knowing how Massholes did it and found ourselves having to vote provisional ballot!

We never made that mistake again!!!!

It is not cheating if it is done well in advance of the election so that voters have ample warning they are being purged.

There should be multiple attempts by various means to notify a voter they are being purged.

If a person who was purged shows up at the polls, they should be allowed to cast a provisional ballot pending proving their residence
in california you get 1 shot....if the person who is on that card they get sent doesnt reply it says on the card you may get purged and will have to re-register......

in california you get 1 shot....if the person who is on that card they get sent doesnt reply it says on the card you may get purged and will have to re-register......

And I would disagree with that
It is easy to overlook and discard a post card with other junk mail.
They should start with a post card and send a registered letter before they finally purge you.
If the registered letter comes back un accepted, then purge the voter

Renters moreso than most citizens, have problems with being purged, because they could move every year, and voting places changing and things like that...

We could solve this problem by having a statewide voter roll, perhaps???

I'm going to disagree with the that.

How many Juan Garzas die every day? How many John Smiths? Did Juan/John move from Texas to Ohio? IF they die in Ohio, does the state of Texas get notified to take Juan/John off of their voter logs?

I'll also push back on the presidential election item you have above. The "big" election shouldn't be any more important than a "small" election. So I continue to state that every 10 years, if a VRC hasn't been used, get rid of it. At worst, when someone goes on the 11th year to vote, they'll be told to fill out a provisional ballot. If they are out of state or dead, they may not care as much. LOL .

I think they should be notified.

It isn't cheating.

Nor is it cheating to have a bunch of long-inactive voters on the voter rolls.

The simple solution to this is as follows:

Every 10 years--Lets say a year that ends in a 5 (2025, 2035, 2045, etc...) if someone hasn't used their Voter Registration Card, void the card. I was looking at an old VRC of mine yesterday at an address I no longer live at in a state where I no longer live. I wouldn't be surprised to see that I'm still on the rolls in that state. I didn't contact anyone at the voter registration office when I moved.

When you hear a politician talking about "cutting spending to the bone", the person who could be doing the above loses their job. It is the price you pay for a "small" government. Elections should be expensive.
I have a better solution, enacted every two years that guarantees that those who vote have not only the right to vote (that right being valid citizenship) but to ensure that NO ONE not eligible to vote can. It does away with voter rolls entirely in favor of a valid and current database of voters.

You also will not have to worry about death.

I'm going to disagree with the that.

How many Juan Garzas die every day? How many John Smiths? Did Juan/John move from Texas to Ohio? IF they die in Ohio, does the state of Texas get notified to take Juan/John off of their voter logs?

I'll also push back on the presidential election item you have above. The "big" election shouldn't be any more important than a "small" election. So I continue to state that every 10 years, if a VRC hasn't been used, get rid of it. At worst, when someone goes on the 11th year to vote, they'll be told to fill out a provisional ballot. If they are out of state or dead, they may not care as much. LOL .
So, their problem boils down to simply not voting when we want them to, is the disqualification??

Since you have record of them not voting, what's the problem? No one voted in their place, right???

I do think they should be notified more than once, along with it being after 10 years of not voting, purging would be appropriate....

But better yet, when a citizen moves to another state and turns in their previous state drivers license, the previous state and election office, should automatically be notified.

I have a better solution, enacted every two years that guarantees that those who vote have not only the right to vote (that right being valid citizenship) but to ensure that NO ONE not eligible to vote can. It does away with voter rolls entirely in favor of a valid and current database of voters.

You also will not have to worry about death.
So you'd have everyone re-register every 2 years?

So, their problem boils down to simply not voting when we want them to, is the disqualification??
Over 10 years? A decade? Yes. I think the State is well within the standards of being fair if someone hasn't voted for 10 years.
Since you have record of them not voting, what's the problem? No one voted in their place, right???
Again, if someone hasn't voted for 10 years, I think that is ample and appropriate enough time to question whether that individual whose name is on the card is still in the district where they are registered to vote.

Again, if someone shows up on the 11th year with all of the appropriate credentials to vote...they will be given a provisional ballot.
I do think they should be notified more than once, along with it being after 10 years of not voting, purging would be appropriate....
Agreed.
But better yet, when a citizen moves to another state and turns in their previous state drivers license, the previous state and election office, should automatically be notified.
I didn't turn in mine. Nor would I expect anyone else to. I still have may parent's drivers licenses--it's just about the only photo I have of my dad. Momentos.

Dead people are less than half of the problem. The bigger part is people who have moved, and may thus be listed as registered voters in two (or more) precincts or states.

But there is a deeper issue at play. Democrats want EVERYONE to vote. If they could send canvassers out to every residence, campsite, homeless shelter, and nursing home, they would do it. If they could eliminate the requirement to register to vote, they would do it. Low-information, uninvolved voters are a Democrat "gold mine."

Republicans, on the other hand, believe that voting is serious business that should not be done promiscuously, casually, or in fact, by people who are too incompetent, disconnected, or uninvolved to take a few simple steps to register and vote.

Democrats promote every initiative that allows low-information, low-involvement people to vote, and incidentally facilitates fraud. These include, same day registration, motor-voter, mail-in balloting, voting "season" rather than a fixed Election Day, eliminate requirements for positive ID.

Accordingly, when the two parties speak of a "threat to democracy," they are talking about two very different things. To Democrats, the very requirement that people must register to vote is a threat to democracy because for some people (i.e., idiots) the act of pre-registration is a challenge. To Republicans, "ballot harvesting" is a threat to democracy because it facilitates the votes of people who should not be voting in the first place.

Purging the voter rolls is a normal and necessary measure, intended to reduce the threat of people voting in multiple districts, and serves the legitimate purpose of administrative "housekeeping." Which is why Democrats don't like it.

Forum List

Back