Is Purging Voter Rolls "Cheating?"

I would not call it cheating unless it somehow reduces the ability of certain people to vote in a deliberate way, that is illegitimate.

For example, purging the voter rolls of dead people to keep dead people from voting is legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who haven't voted in several elections is also legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who are not citizens or not old enough to vote is legitimate.

But it could lead to problems that cause disenfranchisement.

For example, if Peter Mayfield - a name I randomly made up - has not voted in a decade, purging his name is legitimate. But what if the wrong Peter Mayfield is taken off? I searched on that name - again I made it up about a minute ago - and found a Peter Mayfield in the Dallas restaurant promotion business, a Peter Mayfield on Facebook, a Peter Mayfield in the 1940 census, and a Peter Mayfield who is a stuntman.

Purging dead people could cause the same issue. But the solution is easy and obvious. It need not be at all partisan.

Require picture ID to register, and then picture ID to vote. Then who cares of a dead guy is still on the voter rolls? He won't show up with a picture ID unless the Democrats people wishing to cheat go through much more effort than cheaters are usually willing to put forth.

Picture ID doesn't make it impossible to cheat, but it makes it harder which is all Republicans people who want to stop election cheating can reasonbly ask.
But until the last few elections, it was simply expected that if a person did not vote in the primary election or general election--they didn't have to vote in both--their name was dropped from the voter registration roll and they had to re-register in order to vote in the next election. And we all expected to do that. Move to a new town or even a new precinct, and you re-register. If you did not have to prove your identity, address, age, and citizenship status to get your 'real photo ID', you should have to provide proof of citizenship, residence, age, and identity in order to register to vote. And yes, a photo ID when you vote

That way people who died or who had become incapacitated or moved away would not remain on the list and we had a pretty solid idea of how many people were registered in any given precinct and who was authorized to vote. Since all you had to do to regain your voting status was to re-register, I don't see how that could disenfrancise anybody.

And when you took your "solid evidence to court"...did they laugh you out of the court or just snicker at how impotent you are?
It has not been to court and you know it. Like I said ,over half the likely voters believe the election was rigged or stolen. That numbers grows every day.

But until the last few elections, it was simply expected that if a person did not vote in the primary election or general election--they didn't have to vote in both--their name was dropped from the voter registration roll and they had to re-register in order to vote in the next election.
False. I've gone multiple elections without voting. It has nothing to do with if you vote or not. It has to do with when your voter registration card expires.

People almost never get sentenced to jail even when they get caught. If the “voter” lives in a different city now, the danger is infinitesimal. Cities don’t compare voter rolls.
Actually, they do go to jail if caught voting twice

Why would anyone risk it just for one extra vote?

You`re looking to solve a problem that we don`t have. Why would someone vote illegally? What`s in it for them?
Many European countries use bio-metric IDs to protect their citizen's right to vote from people who vote multiple times under alias names.
It is common sense.

That is where email comes in
After you have missed a few elections they can notify you that they are planning to drop you and ask if you still reside in the district

People can register and vote in multiple localities
But they do so at the risk of a lengthy jail term

Who would risk it?
Who is going to catch them?

I recently moved. Theoretically, on November 8th, I could vote here locally, jump in my car, drive 3 hours back to where I lived and vote in my old precinct. I can almost guarantee I am still registered to vote in my old state.

What prevents that from happening? I don't have a driver's license with my old address anymore. No ID, no vote!

Who is going to catch them?

I recently moved. Theoretically, on November 8th, I could vote here locally, jump in my car, drive 3 hours back to where I lived and vote in my old precinct. I can almost guarantee I am still registered to vote in my old state.

What prevents that from happening? I don't have a driver's license with my old address anymore. No ID, no vote!

Yet, people are caught all the time doing just that

Why would you drive six hours just to cast ONE additional vote?
Why would you risk prison just to cast ONE vote?

What prevents that from happening? I don't have a driver's license with my old address anymore
States have systems where they check with each other.

But I would support a national ID and database system to centralize this issue.

That idea, however, is typically frowned upon by conservatives.

No it’s not. My ability to vote is not contingent on whether I’ve voted recently.
I could actually go along with that. Lots of people who voted Trump in 2016 probably hadn't voted since the first time they voted if ever. The whole two parties charade had disaffected many eligible voters.

It is still legitimate as long as it is not specifically being done for the purpose of harming one political party or candidate over another. But I can understand how some people - very lazy people - could be inadvertently disenfranchised by that.

Hypothetically, disenfranchising the lazy, the stupid, or those on The Fringe of the system could damage one political party over another if that political party we're allergic comprised of such individuals.

In fact, most of the debate about should we allow multiple voting days should we allow mail in voting should we allow polls to close at one time in one place or another time and another place are really pretty irrelevant if we ever did what we need to do, which is require photo ID at the time of registration and then photo ID at the time of voting.

Doing that would make effective cheating very difficult other than a forged ID operation on a large scale. So it's fair to wonder about the motives of people who oppose photo ID for voting more than any other idea.

Fingerprint identification would be even better. At the time clock at my job, I have to press my finger against an electronic Mini screen to verify that I am clocking in. This is at a school in which my principal would know in 5 minutes if I was not at work that day. Surely voting is at least as important as that.

I would not call it cheating unless it somehow reduces the ability of certain people to vote in a deliberate way, that is illegitimate.

For example, purging the voter rolls of dead people to keep dead people from voting is legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who haven't voted in several elections is also legitimate. Purging voter rolls of people who are not citizens or not old enough to vote is legitimate.

But it could lead to problems that cause disenfranchisement.

For example, if Peter Mayfield - a name I randomly made up - has not voted in a decade, purging his name is legitimate. But what if the wrong Peter Mayfield is taken off? I searched on that name - again I made it up about a minute ago - and found a Peter Mayfield in the Dallas restaurant promotion business, a Peter Mayfield on Facebook, a Peter Mayfield in the 1940 census, and a Peter Mayfield who is a stuntman.

Purging dead people could cause the same issue. But the solution is easy and obvious. It need not be at all partisan.

Require picture ID to register, and then picture ID to vote. Then who cares of a dead guy is still on the voter rolls? He won't show up with a picture ID unless the Democrats people wishing to cheat go through much more effort than cheaters are usually willing to put forth.

Picture ID doesn't make it impossible to cheat, but it makes it harder which is all Republicans people who want to stop election cheating can reasonbly ask.

This is ridiculous. They purge voter rolls all the time.. some people have died. Some move away. Some skip voting for a few election cycles. It's normal. Check your states voter registration requirements.

Forum List

Back