Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
No.
what do believe would happen if the energy of 700 1-megaton nuclear bombs was unleashed in the northern polar region and instantly vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice?
Of what relevance is that question?

Sea level might go up by about 20 feet.
The relevance is that it explains the flood accounts of ancient civilizations. It’s an event that put 1500 gigatons of water vapor into the atmosphere instantly.

all that water had to come out of the atmosphere as rain.

ding, like I think you said, ancient man didn't know the "whole" world, only his neck of the woods. It seems to be pretty established theory that the coastal areas around the Mediterranean and Black Seas flooded at the end of the last ice age due to a big rise in the Atlantic Ocean, from melt water. If this Hiawatha crater is what they think it is, it may have done the deed, but I don't think it necessarily flooded the whole world, ding. All of the earliest civilizations grew up around seas or river systems, for obvious reasons. Over time, they would have all flooded but I don't think every flood that was spoken of by ancient man happened at the same time. A rise in the Atlantic Ocean would not have caused a flood in India or China, I don't think anyway.
It would have been a world wide climate altering event with world wide rain. Flooding would have occurred everywhere until the water ran off.
Is that even possible?

I think the 40 days and 40 nights of rain was the way to explain the rising waters that they didn't understand had come from melting glaciers so far to the north that they didn't even dream of their existence. Just as Noah's ark was an explanation for how humans and all the animals managed to survive. These people had logic. They asked questions. There had to be an explanation, even though they didn't have the knowledge base, yet, to actually explain it.
The floods, though? Oh yeah, we know the floods really happened.

It’s an event that put 1500 gigatons of water vapor into the atmosphere instantly.
This is not what the article says. It says this much ice was possibly melted, while talking about the effects of the melt runoff into the ocean. Clearly they are not stating or implying that this much water was vaporized into the atmosphere. In fact, with their focus on the runoff into the ocean, it would appear they are implying that most of it was not vaporized, but rather just melted and then ran off into the ocean.

" The impact would have melted 1500 gigatons of ice, the team estimates—about as much ice as Antarctica has lost because of global warming in the past decade. The local greenhouse effect from the released steam and the residual heat in the crater rock would have added more melt. Much of that freshwater could have ended up in the nearby Labrador Sea, a primary site pumping the Atlantic Ocean's overturning circulation. "That potentially could perturb the circulation," says Sophia Hines, a marine paleoclimatologist at Lamont-Doherty"

Massive crater under Greenland’s ice points to climate-altering impact in the time of humans

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood, which all ancient cultures have, is true?
To me, it seems more reasonable that the global flood in myth is the rise in sea level that took place about 10,000 years ago. Anyone living by the sea would have had their environment radically changed. Slowly but dramatically. Some areas inhabited by humans, e.g., Doggerland, totally disappeared and may have given rise to oral traditions.
Again, 1500 gigatons of ice being instantly vaporized would have made a global wide climate impact.
I'm sure it would have. According to your link it may have cooled the Earth but I saw nothing in the article indicating a flood. You're just cherry-picking the science that supports the Bible and denying the science that contradicts your literal interpretation of it. Very dishonest to science and the Bible.

No.
what do believe would happen if the energy of 700 1-megaton nuclear bombs was unleashed in the northern polar region and instantly vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice?

The relevance is that it explains the flood accounts of ancient civilizations. It’s an event that put 1500 gigatons of water vapor into the atmosphere instantly.

The meteor hit "in the last 100,000 years." Unless it hit within the last 10,000, I doubt there would be any memory of it.

ding, like I think you said, ancient man didn't know the "whole" world, only his neck of the woods. It seems to be pretty established theory that the coastal areas around the Mediterranean and Black Seas flooded at the end of the last ice age due to a big rise in the Atlantic Ocean, from melt water. If this Hiawatha crater is what they think it is, it may have done the deed, but I don't think it necessarily flooded the whole world, ding. All of the earliest civilizations grew up around seas or river systems, for obvious reasons. Over time, they would have all flooded but I don't think every flood that was spoken of by ancient man happened at the same time. A rise in the Atlantic Ocean would not have caused a flood in India or China, I don't think anyway.
It would have been a world wide climate altering event with world wide rain. Flooding would have occurred everywhere until the water ran off.
Is that even possible?

I think the 40 days and 40 nights of rain was the way to explain the rising waters that they didn't understand had come from melting glaciers so far to the north that they didn't even dream of their existence. Just as Noah's ark was an explanation for how humans and all the animals managed to survive. These people had logic. They asked questions. There had to be an explanation, even though they didn't have the knowledge base, yet, to actually explain it.
The floods, though? Oh yeah, we know the floods really happened.
No. If an asteroid vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice that water is put into the atmosphere. It would affect global weather patterns. That moisture would come back as rain and would cause flooding on land until it ran off into the oceans.

It’s an event that put 1500 gigatons of water vapor into the atmosphere instantly.
This is not what the article says. It says this much ice was possibly melted, while talking about the effects of the melt runoff into the ocean. Clearly they are not stating or implying that this much water was vaporized into the atmosphere. In fact, with their focus on the runoff into the ocean, it would appear they are implying that most of it was not vaporized, but rather just melted and then ran off into the ocean.

" The impact would have melted 1500 gigatons of ice, the team estimates—about as much ice as Antarctica has lost because of global warming in the past decade. The local greenhouse effect from the released steam and the residual heat in the crater rock would have added more melt. Much of that freshwater could have ended up in the nearby Labrador Sea, a primary site pumping the Atlantic Ocean's overturning circulation. "That potentially could perturb the circulation," says Sophia Hines, a marine paleoclimatologist at Lamont-Doherty"
Asteroid strikes are global events. If you vaporize 1500 gigatons of ice it will affect the globe.

To me, it seems more reasonable that the global flood in myth is the rise in sea level that took place about 10,000 years ago. Anyone living by the sea would have had their environment radically changed. Slowly but dramatically. Some areas inhabited by humans, e.g., Doggerland, totally disappeared and may have given rise to oral traditions.
Again, 1500 gigatons of ice being instantly vaporized would have made a global wide climate impact.
I'm sure it would have. According to your link it may have cooled the Earth but I saw nothing in the article indicating a flood. You're just cherry-picking the science that supports the Bible and denying the science that contradicts your literal interpretation of it. Very dishonest to science and the Bible.
Where do you believe the water vapor went?

No.

The meteor hit "in the last 100,000 years." Unless it hit within the last 10,000, I doubt there would be any memory of it.
The timing is uncertain. It could have been as early as 12,800 years ago. That’s what they are investigating.

Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?”

No.

The flood myth is predicated on the seasonal flooding that occurred in the Fertile Crescent.

Floods were the most powerful force known to ancient man, hence their use as cataclysmic events in literature – such as the Epic of Gilgamesh and flood myth in the bible.

But... super Christians will tell you that the earth is only 6,000 years old. That's what they deduce from the Bible, and they believe there's scientific evidence to support it.

Don't ask me... I think they're nuts.

Super atheists think the universe(s) made itself (themselves) from "a quantum vacuum".

I know they're nuts.

Speaking as someone with deeply held religious beliefs ... no, it's not possible or true.

Like most scripture ... it remains folklore and allegory. Still useful as an object lesson, but not factual or accurate.

Asteroid strikes are global events. If you vaporize 1500 gigatons of ice it will affect the globe.
Neato! But your article -- that you clearly did not really read -- does not say anything about that much water being vaporized.

North_America_web.jpg

List of impact craters in North America - Wikipedia

330px-South_America_laea_relief_location_map.jpg

List of impact craters in South America - Wikipedia

What makes you think that the Greenland crater is the only impact site at that time frame?

*****SMILE*****

:)

18th century fncceo would have deemed every word to be a fact.

Jews were a major influence in the 18th Century enlightenment. In Judaism, rational criticism of scripture is not only condoned, it is actively encouraged.

Jews were a major influence in the 18th Century enlightenment. In Judaism, rational criticism of scripture is not only condoned, it is actively encouraged.
And every single religious jew in the 18th century took the word of the Noah myth as a fact. Remember, the "rational" criticism at the time was within the framework of knowledge that the earth was a few thousand years old, and that nobody had heard of evolution.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to "Faith"?
Isn't trying to prove that The Bible is literal the very opposite of faith?

Forum List

Back