Is it morally wrong to bring back dead actors in virtual reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am waiting for the holographic tour of the Beatles myself.

Too rate...

silverbeats1.jpg
Wow, it's the Asian Beatles! "She ruvs you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Actually, these guys played for years at The Cave Club in Roppongi, Tokyo. They were awesome, right down to regional Liverpool accents. They played the entire Beatles repertoire.
Damn I was just in Tokyo. We should of had this conversation a few months ago. If they were still around I would have looked them up. I did go eat a pizza at the winner of the best pizza in the world award though among other things.

Too rate...

silverbeats1.jpg

Actually, these guys played for years at The Cave Club in Roppongi, Tokyo. They were awesome, right down to regional Liverpool accents. They played the entire Beatles repertoire.
Damn I was just in Tokyo. We should of had this conversation a few months ago. If they were still around I would have looked them up. I did go eat a pizza at the winner of the best pizza in the world award though among other things.

The most popular topping for pizza in Japan is corn ... their immortal souls are damned for all time,

Too rate...

silverbeats1.jpg

The most popular topping for pizza in Japan is corn ... their immortal souls are damned for all time,
That is an abomination almost as bad as pineapple.

I don’t mind but I think the persons estate should be compensated

JUST because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. That’s what I found myself thinking at the news that movie idol James Dean, who died in 1955, is ‘being brought back to life’ in a new film.

The team behind creating a virtual James Dean for Vietnam War movie Finding Jack say it’s not a one-off cameo. Travis Cloyd, chief executive of Worldwide XR, who’s leading the design on the Dean project, says it will be used “for many movies and also gaming and virtual reality”.

Legally, they can do it, having the permission of the Dean estate. But ethically, what gives them the right to effectively bring back the dead?

The cinematic trick of digital de-ageing and duplicating actors is becoming common practice. It was used in Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-nominated The Irishman so Robert De Niro and Al Pacino could play younger versions of their characters, and in last year’s Gemini Man a young Will Smith appeared alongside the current version.

Playing God with movie avatars
I see NOTHING wrong with it. If they CAN do it, why not?
As long as Haley Paige returns. Nooo problem

I think it would be wrong to bring back someone from the dead and make a film that misrepresented them. Particularly a political figure. I can see how this could be a big problem.

I think it would be wrong to bring back someone from the dead and make a film that misrepresented them. Particularly a political figure. I can see how this could be a big problem.

Political figures are being brought back and re-branded (re-messaged) all the time ... it's part of our cultural ethos.

Che_Guevara_apple-1-1.jpg

Political figures are being brought back and re-branded (re-messaged) all the time ... it's part of our cultural ethos.

Right, that's not necessarily a good thing, as your picture illustrates.

Right, that's not necessarily a good thing, as your picture illustrates.

Rebranding, it's a thing, not necessarily good or bad. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years. From Gilgamesh to Che.

JUST because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should. That’s what I found myself thinking at the news that movie idol James Dean, who died in 1955, is ‘being brought back to life’ in a new film.

The team behind creating a virtual James Dean for Vietnam War movie Finding Jack say it’s not a one-off cameo. Travis Cloyd, chief executive of Worldwide XR, who’s leading the design on the Dean project, says it will be used “for many movies and also gaming and virtual reality”.

Legally, they can do it, having the permission of the Dean estate. But ethically, what gives them the right to effectively bring back the dead?

The cinematic trick of digital de-ageing and duplicating actors is becoming common practice. It was used in Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-nominated The Irishman so Robert De Niro and Al Pacino could play younger versions of their characters, and in last year’s Gemini Man a young Will Smith appeared alongside the current version.

I see no ethical debate to be had, here. Only a legal debate.

What about the Hall of Presidents at Disney world?

Not sure, wouldn't his family be able to hold the legal rights to his likeness and how it's used, or something like that? I'm not an expert on law.

Or would one have had to put that in a will? Or his likeness legally owned by Hollywood rather than the family? Maybe someone with some legal knowledge can set this one strait.

They would be honored. People want to be remembered

The phrasing of the o.p. is an example of how verbiage can lead to images in the mind that are in conflict with rationality.

Only if you dig them up and use their corpses in scenes.
As for CGI, it'd be nice to se the Duke back in westerns.

It’s a strange thought, but who doesn’t miss Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back