Is it morally wrong to bring back dead actors in virtual reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
JUST because you can do something, doesnā€™t mean you should. Thatā€™s what I found myself thinking at the news that movie idol James Dean, who died in 1955, is ā€˜being brought back to lifeā€™ in a new film.

The team behind creating a virtual James Dean for Vietnam War movie Finding Jack say itā€™s not a one-off cameo. Travis Cloyd, chief executive of Worldwide XR, whoā€™s leading the design on the Dean project, says it will be used ā€œfor many movies and also gaming and virtual realityā€.

Legally, they can do it, having the permission of the Dean estate. But ethically, what gives them the right to effectively bring back the dead?

The cinematic trick of digital de-ageing and duplicating actors is becoming common practice. It was used in Martin Scorseseā€™s Oscar-nominated The Irishman so Robert De Niro and Al Pacino could play younger versions of their characters, and in last yearā€™s Gemini Man a young Will Smith appeared alongside the current version.

Playing God with movie avatars

• Banned
^ As a cinematic device, itā€™s nothing new. Footage of Bela Lugosi was used in 1959 sci-fi horror film Plan 9 From Outer Space, released after his death. John Lennon and Elvis were digitally revived in 1994ā€™s Forrest Gump. Carrie Fisherā€™s younger self briefly returned in Star Wars: Rogue One and she appeared digitally, after her death, in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. And a CGI Audrey Hepburn appeared in a chocolate bar advert.

If they have the estate's permission, no. It's no different than selling photographs.

They're not "bringing back the dead" anymore than Gollum was made alive. It's just art and computer science.

JUST because you can do something, doesnā€™t mean you should. Thatā€™s what I found myself thinking at the news that movie idol James Dean, who died in 1955, is ā€˜being brought back to lifeā€™ in a new film.

The team behind creating a virtual James Dean for Vietnam War movie Finding Jack say itā€™s not a one-off cameo. Travis Cloyd, chief executive of Worldwide XR, whoā€™s leading the design on the Dean project, says it will be used ā€œfor many movies and also gaming and virtual realityā€.

Legally, they can do it, having the permission of the Dean estate. But ethically, what gives them the right to effectively bring back the dead?

The cinematic trick of digital de-ageing and duplicating actors is becoming common practice. It was used in Martin Scorseseā€™s Oscar-nominated The Irishman so Robert De Niro and Al Pacino could play younger versions of their characters, and in last yearā€™s Gemini Man a young Will Smith appeared alongside the current version.

I see NOTHING wrong with it. If they CAN do it, why not?

I see NOTHING wrong with it. If they CAN do it, why not?

Reagan was in movies, would you listen to him?

I'll tell you why not. . . .

What if the left wanted to get a push to make abortion legal through out the land, and propagandize the young, and have them all believe, that this is the will of the nation.

Well. . . they could CGI Ronald Reagan in support of such a thing.

Many of his children are now liberal, why not? :dunno:

A huge push could be made to get the nation to accept a POV, or a political stand, based on making the nation believe an esteemed politician believed something that he most certainly did not.

Deep Faking should NOT be allowed.

Have any of them complained?
If you don't pay their estate a royalty or licensing fee, I am sure your will be hearing from their lawyers. Lawyers will represent anyone: Dead or alive.

I am waiting for the holographic tour of the Beatles myself.

Too rate...

silverbeats1.jpg

Of course if you don't want to bother with licensing fees or royalties one may wish to do a holographic Paganini or a Mozart tour for the classically minded.

upload_2020-2-13_16-35-8.jpeg

Last edited:
Of course if you don't want to bother with licensing fee or royalties one may wish to do a holographic Paganini tour or a Mozart tour for the classical minded.

Aren't all of us, living or dead, just part of the glorious workers' paradise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back