is Georgia killing an innocent man?

He was found guilty in a court of law and sentence to the death penalty.

They need to carry the sentence out and execute this convicted criminal. :cool:

This convicted criminal (and all others) has , and should have, the right to explore every possible appeal. If we the people are going to kill someone we damn well should make sure that the conviction was just and that procedurally all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Seven of nine witnesses recanted their testimony. How does an appellate court not see reasonable doubt? This is a failure of individuals, not the system. The Supreme Court can set this straight. No one can make it right. Meanwhile, the guilty party roams free.

Davis executed...

U.S. Supreme Court denies stay for Davis
21 Sept.`11 – Convicted murderer Troy Davis was executed by lethal injection and pronounced dead at 11:08 p.m. ET, Kristen Stancil, a spokeswoman at the prison here where Davis died, said late Wednesday.
Jon Lewis, an eyewitness, of WSB Radio in Atlanta, said to the prison staff, "May God have mercy on your souls; may God bless your souls." Davis was convicted in 1991 for the 1989 murder of Savannah, Ga., police officer Mark MacPhail. Celebrities, grassroots organizations, elected officials and supporters from around the world had lobbied for a halt to the execution, saying several witnesses in the initial trial had recanted their testimony. The death came after the Supreme Court announced late Wednesdayy it was denying a last-ditch request to spare Davis' life. "The application for stay of execution of sentence of death presented to Justice (Clarence) Thomas and by him referred to the Court is denied," read the order released to the news media at 10:18 p.m. ET.

Earlier, Anneliese MacPhail, the mother of slain Savannah, Ga., police officer Mark MacPhail, said she had received a telephone call from the Georgia state attorney general's office that the execution would take place tonight. "They're going to proceed," MacPhail, 77, said from her home in Columbus, Ga. NAACP chief Benjamin Jealous, who had been lobbying state and federal officials to study what he felt was reasonable doubt in the case, sent out updates via Twitter late Wednesday condemning the decision. "In death, Troy Davis will live on as a reminder of a broken justice system that kills an innocent man while a murderer walks free," Jealous wrote. "The pillar of strength that Troy has been is a testament to his faith and understanding that this movement will continue with more force."

Davis was convicted in 1991 of the 1989 killing of MacPhail. The Supreme Court action was the latest dramatic turn in a case that had generated global attention. The NAACP, Amnesty International USA, other grassroots groups, elected officials and celebrities had all rallied around Davis, pointing out that several witnesses in Davis' initial trial had signed affidavits recanting their testimony and saying police had coerced them into implicating Davis. All day Wednesday, demonstrators gathered outside the prison. Among them was activist Al Sharpton, rapper Big Boi of the group OutKast, NAACP chief Benjamin Jealous and Amnesty International USA executive director Larry Cox. But MacPhail's family has said they believe Davis is guilty and they are tired of dredging up old memories with each review of the case.

Davis had been scheduled to die at 7 p.m. by lethal injection at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison. The Supreme Court decision appeared to be the last hope for sparing Davis' life. Earlier, Jay Carney, White House press secretary, issued a statement at about 10 minutes before the scheduled 7 p.m. execution, saying "it is not appropriate for the President of the United States to weigh in on specific cases like this one, which is a state prosecution." Also on Wednesday, the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles turned down a request to reconsider its denial of clemency for Davis, and the state Department of Corrections rejected Davis' request to submit to a lie detector test.

MORE

Troy Davis died at 11:08 p.m. EDT. The actual execution was delayed slightly over 4 hours because a temporary stay was granted, but it was only temporary.

I am currently reading Grisham's latest: "The Confession." It concerns the conviction and death sentence of a man wrongly convicted. I won't give away the plot, but it is a gripping novel and should be read by anyone who thinks the death penalty is a civilized procedure.

Grisham's novel takes place in Texas. Troy Davis was killed in Georgia. We have some very old and very dear friends who live in Augusta, GA. I am sad for them tonight.

I think, in light of the fact that so many witnesses recanted their testimony, a stay should have been granted in order to investigate that factor. Failure to do so speaks only to the barbarity of the Georgia authorities as well as the U.S. Supremes.

It is on nights like this I am truly ashamed to be an American.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/troy-davis-execution-stay-denied-supreme-court/story?id=14571862

Last edited:
Troy Davis died at 11:08 p.m. EDT. The actual execution was delayed slightly over 4 hours because a temporary stay was granted, but it was only temporary.

I am currently reading Grisham's latest: "The Confession." It concerns the conviction and death sentence of a man wrongly convicted. I won't give away the plot, but it is a gripping novel and should be read by anyone who thinks the death penalty is a civilized procedure.

Grisham's novel takes place in Texas. Troy Davis was killed in Georgia. We have some very old and very dear friends who live in Augusta, GA. I am sad for them tonight.

I think, in light of the fact that so many witnesses recanted their testimony, a stay should have been granted in order to investigate that factor. Failure to do so speaks only to the barbarity of the Georgia authorities as well as the U.S. Supremes.

It is on nights like this I am truly ashamed to be an American.

Troy Davis Executed After Stay Denied by Supreme Court - ABC News

To be honest with you George, I find the US judicial system one of the worst in the Western World...if not the worst....

Which is kinda strange in that, I'm pretty sure when it was first put in place its actual intention was pretty good.

This is what happens when a judicial systme is politicised to the nth degree....

To be honest with you George, I find the US judicial system one of the worst in the Western World...if not the worst....

There's no way that's true or even close to true.

But I'm pretty saddened by this case. I'm not saying Troy Davis is, beyond a reasonable doubt, innocent. But, if the trial was held today, with the evidence available, I would not vote to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt. It's very difficult for me to support a death penalty punishment when there was very little physical evidence (shell casings from the murder scene may have matched another scene where Davis was present) and very shaky eye witness testimony.

I stumbled upon this today. I haven't read all of it, so I don't condone all that is on the site. However, the stuff on the witness testimony should give you some pause. If you're short on time, start with Stephen Sanders. He was the only eye witness to not recant who wasn't also a prime suspect.

You are correct, they need to execute him whether he is guilty or innocent. When someone is convicted, they should always pay the penalty. We know that everyone convicted is guilty. The jury said so.

Well, they did execute him. In doing so, I can no longer support the death penalty in any case. I guess if it ever comes out that he definitely was innocent, everyone will just say "oops".

There is a bit more to it than this, such as witnesses recanting their testimony.

Some of the jurors came forward rethinking that verdict. This whole thing stinks to high heaven. Some of his last words were may God have mercy on your souls. True dat.

You are correct, they need to execute him whether he is guilty or innocent. When someone is convicted, they should always pay the penalty. We know that everyone convicted is guilty. The jury said so.

Well, they did execute him. In doing so, I can no longer support the death penalty in any case. I guess if it ever comes out that he definitely was innocent, everyone will just say "oops".
Then one good thing came out of this....good for you.

Forum List

Back