is Georgia killing an innocent man?

I can't say for sure if the man was innocent or not but when 7 out of the 9 witnesses recant their stories, something is wrong there. I don't think he should have been killed.

Personally I think the seven who gave "sworn under oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth" testimony and then recanted should be in prison for perjury. All this fucking lying under oath may have cost a man his life and they should be held accountable. I'm sick of this shit.

I can't say for sure if the man was innocent or not but when 7 out of the 9 witnesses recant their stories, something is wrong there. I don't think he should have been killed.

Personally I think the seven who gave "sworn under oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth" testimony and then recanted should be in prison for perjury. All this fucking lying under oath may have cost a man his life and they should be held accountable. I'm sick of this shit.

You have a point Willow, they never should have said it was him in the first place if they weren't 100% sure.

There should be a stop law put in place for situations like this one. When the only evidence is eyewitness testimony the death penalty should not be an option. We have life in prison without the possibility of parole. This should be the max sentence allowed without more compelling evidence than someone saw you do it.

Troy Davis asks Supreme Court to stop execution

This is why I hate the death penalty.........

Um, why? Because they try to avoid being executed? Because the media writes stories about it? Because a bunch of lamebrains proclaim their belief in any and every story, no matter how thin and implausible, to advance their agenda?

I'm a bit unclear as to the presumably-evidenced reason for hating the death penalty.

There should be a stop law put in place for situations like this one. When the only evidence is eyewitness testimony the death penalty should not be an option. We have life in prison without the possibility of parole. This should be the max sentence allowed without more compelling evidence than someone saw you do it.

eyewitness testimony, absent other supporting evidence, is notoriously unreliable

139 individuals since 1970 have been found guilty and sentenced to death and later were exonerated. Many of those because of DNA evidence. Officials still stress that there has never been an innocent man executed but I do accept that premise. How may of the executions before 1970 were innocent men? Before 1960 trials were quick and punishment swift with few appeals or legal help for the poor. So there is no telling how many people were wrongly convicted.

But is their blood staining the US? No! How many innocent men and women and children has the US killed this century in wars and bombings? How many thousands of civilians did we kill in WWII? Are their lives worth less because it was in war? The STATE has the power over every individual and can take your life swiftly in the name of justice or justice as it sees fit. We have ceded the STATE this power in order to have a supposedly civilized world. Individualism must give way for the masses and even though we purport the right of the individual in this country it is but a mere facade.

There's no way that's true or even close to true.

Care to name a judicial system in the Western world that is worse?

In terms of cover-ups, witness intimidation, illegally delayed trials, failure to provide adequate translation, etc. Greece, Portugal and Spain feature much higher than anything you'd be likely to find in the US. All three are proud members of the E.U, too.

Fair call, and I'd throw in Italy as well...

Ok, lets compare it to France, Germany, Nordic nations, Canada, UK, Aust/NZ....doesn't even come close...

I am against the death penalty myself.....because of cases such as this.
Nobody had absolute solid proof....witnesses recanting......God what a fucking mess for everyone.
Now what if they do happen to find the one who did the crime??
What do you tell Mr. Davis' family??....Oops, we're sorry...we fucked up!
I read an article about this case, today in fact, and someone said....it was someone "famous-like"....that this case made him sick, and when the death penalty becomes an option, you'd best be damned sure you have the right person, cause there is no turning back!

Last edited:
And another thing, look how many cases we have seen on the news in the past few months...quite a few, I have anyway, where someone has spent 25 years or more in prison...for a crime they did not commit....and now, because of the DNA technology.....the prisoner was set free, because they discovered they had the wrong person.
A person gives up their life for 20 or more years, and they basically get squat when they are released back into the world. That's messed up.
I know, there are a large number who ARE indeed guilty of their crimes...but there are also plenty who are not.

The fact that so many of the eyewitnesses recanted their testamony is troubling.

Additionally and particularly so, because my understanding is that there was no forensic evidence whatsoever; The eyewitnesses were the entire case.

you need to study up on this.....there was forensic evidence....he used the gun in an earlier shooting.....

They don't want to listen to any facts bones, they just feel it was wrong because that's what the cool people are saying. The guy get's some glasses and all of a sudden he's an angel...... bullshit. I wonder why nobody in Texas was protesting the execution of a self claimed white supremacist, I guess it's alright to kill a guy if you're really, really sure about about his guilt.

They probably were NOT lying, that's the trouble with eye-witness testamony.

They probably did think they were indentifying the perp at the time of the investigation.

And then, for whatever reason, upon reflection, they decided that they might be (or were outright) wrong.

Human perception of reality and human memory of reality is highly unreliable.

You know, we send perfectly innocent people off to their deaths in war all the time. The legal system will always be imperfect. A handful of partially innocent criminals going to their deaths is not high on my priority list by comparision. Just a thought.

Did I mention I might be a juror in October through year end? See what happens when I lose a car sale? Not pretty.

Last edited:
You know, we send perfectly innocent people off to their deaths in war all the time. The legal system will always be imperfect. A handful of partially innocent criminals going to their deaths is not high on my priority list by comparision. Just a thought.

Did I mention I might be a juror in October through year end? See what happens when I lose a car sale? Not pretty.

Oh, boy - looks like you are going to make a GREAT juror. :rolleyes:

If you make it into the box, here is a question that might be asked of you by defense counsel on voir dire: "Potential Juror No. 7. It has been said that it is better that 100 guilty persons go free than that one innocent person be convicted. How do you feel about such a concept?"

If you give the answer there that you gave here, get ready to precede your ass out the front door.

And, while I am at it - with a post like this, what are you doing with a screen name of "Saveliberty"?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back