Is a portable Hot Tub worth it?

I mention that because the pool we had, that I got rid of, was way too much frigging work to keep molds/dirt out.
You could spend half your dang weekend fooling with it.
I would get the chlorine levels right only to send the ALK to the moon. Then try to get the ALK down and be left with no chlorine.
Yeah... I don't want a pool ever again.

Salt water pools are the way to go they're far easier to take care of. And you cant tell there's salt in the water except that your eyes dont burn.
There's about a teaspoon of salt per gallon in the pool. The water runs through cell that has current running through it which turns the salt into chlorine for a brief moment and that kills the all the crap in the water. All you need to add is a bit of salt and some acid occasionally.
I used to take care of ours myself but those damn automatic pool vacs wear out fast and they cost around $600 bucks so we just said to hell with it and hired a pool guy.

i understand they dont get that hot...we got a hot tub...it was under 5 k but the deck was about 2 k to sit it on....hubby uses it more than i do...and yet maintaining it is on me...

i understand they dont get that hot...we got a hot tub...it was under 5 k but the deck was about 2 k to sit it on....hubby uses it more than i do...and yet maintaining it is on me...
It maxes at 104, but I can't see us ever setting it that hot.
I have it at 96 now in a bldg with A/C...and it is comfortable.
The bldg also has heat but prolly only set it at 60 during winter. I figure we will set the temp at 98 then.

It maxes at 104, but I can't see us ever setting it that hot.
I have it at 96 now in a bldg with A/C...and it is comfortable.
The bldg also has heat but prolly only set it at 60 during winter. I figure we will set the temp at 98 then.
Is there a filter or do you have to change the water out all the time?

And the heat loss seems pretty good to me?
I shut the heater off after we use it, usually around say 7pm. And the next day somewhere around 3pm the temp is usually 90 - 91. So it only loses 5 or 6 degrees in about 20 hours in a room that is 74 degrees.
I don't know if that is good or not

i dont know why i got the maintenance end of the deal..i did not ask for it...it is a lot of chemicals...i use the frog system so that helps

Okay so we are around 2 months in.
Still use it almost everyday.
We keep the temp at 98. That seems right for both of us. Any hotter and I keep wanting to get out and sit on the edge to cool off.
Keeping the water balance has been a cinch. It seems like once the water got to be about 5 weeks old, it became markedly easier to maintain.
I only test the water about once a week now. Always good.
Every Saturday I take the filters out and flush them, only takes a few minutes. I replaced the filters today and I noticed the pressure increased. So I'm thinking I need to swap them out sooner than 7 weeks. Gonna do once a month. They are not expensive.
Once again I will say I am very happy with this purchase.
The differences between this and "real" hot tubs are marginal. Definitely not worth paying 5-10 times the price.

Okay so we are around 2 months in.
Still use it almost everyday.
We keep the temp at 98. That seems right for both of us. Any hotter and I keep wanting to get out and sit on the edge to cool off.
Keeping the water balance has been a cinch. It seems like once the water got to be about 5 weeks old, it became markedly easier to maintain.
I only test the water about once a week now. Always good.
Every Saturday I take the filters out and flush them, only takes a few minutes. I replaced the filters today and I noticed the pressure increased. So I'm thinking I need to swap them out sooner than 7 weeks. Gonna do once a month. They are not expensive.
Once again I will say I am very happy with this purchase.
The differences between this and "real" hot tubs are marginal. Definitely not worth paying 5-10 times the price.

We used ours cold in the summer or just slightly heated.
Now that we have a pool hot tube combo that would be kinda redundant.

Well then pony up for the real shit...bawluh! Cause that shit is trashier than mayonnaise sandwiches.

Wrong.
The permanent type hot tubs are a total pain.
They get damaged in winter, no matter how well you try to cover them, and they are much slipperier and colder.
They take up space and are hardly ever used.
I have tried both, and the portables are vastly better.

Wear a mask but share sweat and body fluids in a hot tub? No thanks.

Covid can not survive in body fluids much.
It can not even survive the acidity of saliva very long.
It can't get into sweat or survive the salt.
Hot tubs have enough chlorine to prevent any covid transfer.
And its not like they are indoors.

YES.
I have no problem admitting I am cheap. I have thought about a hot tub for at least 10 years. But just couldn't swallow, including everything, between $3,500 - $5000 and up.
I read some solid online reviews of portable hot tubs. So we bought this one - >

View attachment 526006

$550... I can dig that.
Is it any good? Does it work? Is it deep enough?
All a resounding - yes.
This thing is freaking awesome. Easily big enough for four, but there is just the two of us so we have all kinds of room. We found the right temp for the water right now is 96. Probably during the winter we will set it higher, but this temp feels good now.
We have a small buidling on our property, it is in there. And it has A/C... should mention that.
Anyway, if you have ever thought about it - DO IT - it is awesome.

And for the dudes...um... it encourages amorous activity :)
I've often wondered about those. I have a huge deck but would have to put in extra supports.

That thing would be great for my bad back. But right now I'm sinking money on permanent stuff in the house.
I think new kitchen cabinets are next.

I've often wondered about those. I have a huge deck but would have to put in extra supports.

Extra support is easy since it is so small and local, but you could also put it next to the deck, take out some rail, and build a new deck frame around the hot tub. That way you step down into it instead of over the side, depending on the height of the deck?

Forum List

Back