Is a portable Hot Tub worth it?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
YES.
I have no problem admitting I am cheap. I have thought about a hot tub for at least 10 years. But just couldn't swallow, including everything, between $3,500 - $5000 and up.
I read some solid online reviews of portable hot tubs. So we bought this one - >

tub.png

$550... I can dig that.
Is it any good? Does it work? Is it deep enough?
All a resounding - yes.
This thing is freaking awesome. Easily big enough for four, but there is just the two of us so we have all kinds of room. We found the right temp for the water right now is 96. Probably during the winter we will set it higher, but this temp feels good now.
We have a small buidling on our property, it is in there. And it has A/C... should mention that.
Anyway, if you have ever thought about it - DO IT - it is awesome.

And for the dudes...um... it encourages amorous activity :)

YES.
I have no problem admitting I am cheap. I have thought about a hot tub for at least 10 years. But just couldn't swallow, including everything, between $3,500 - $5000 and up.
I read some solid online reviews of portable hot tubs. So we bought this one - >

View attachment 526006

$550... I can dig that.
Is it any good? Does it work? Is it deep enough?
All a resounding - yes.
This thing is freaking awesome. Easily big enough for four, but there is just the two of us so we have all kinds of room. We found the right temp for the water right now is 96. Probably during the winter we will set it higher, but this temp feels good now.
We have a small buidling on our property, it is in there. And it has A/C... should mention that.
Anyway, if you have ever thought about it - DO IT - it is awesome.

And for the dudes...um... it encourages amorous activity :)
I bought one of those high-end Vitamix blenders. It does everything, and does it better than any other kitchen appliance. It's definitely worth every penny. But I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would, or hoped to. So that's how I look at things like this - are you going to use it? Then spend the money. But be prepared to find yourself not using it. I've also got a barely used, really cool treadmill and a Teeter Hangup out in the garage that I need to put on Craigslist.
4i6Ckte.gif

People we know who have hot tubs all say the same thing: “We used it for a while and then the novelty wore off and it became a pain in the ass to take care of and we wish now we could just get rid of it.”

So if it were me, I’d buy the cheapo, use it until you’re tired of it or it springs a leak and then put it down at the curb.

People we know who have hot tubs all say the same thing: “We used it for a while and then the novelty wore off and it became a pain in the ass to take care of and we wish now we could just get rid of it.”

So if it were me, I’d buy the cheapo, use it until you’re tired of it or it springs a leak and then put it down at the curb.
That is what I always thought
That we would use it a lot at first and then it would just take up space.
Why heat all that water and rarely use it?

Prolly the right way to go at firt. See how much you use it especially in the winter. Do you have a pool? We built a gas heated jacuzzi and connected it to the pool. After 20 years we still use it mostly in the winter.

We have had it for about a month. I would say out of 10 days we use it 8.
We're not big TV watchers, so this is a nice relaxing thing to do as an option to do something.
We puzzle a lot. White Mountain Puzzles LOVES us.

Exercise equipment comment above... oh yeah... I learned decades ago not to buy any of it. You never stick with it.
As for continued use, I see us sticking with it. At 56 and 57... you got pains. And I have RA.
It's really not a pain to keep the maintenance up. It is made of a material that is mold resistant to begin with.
It took me a week to get the water balance right, but once I got the hand of that... it's nothing.
It comes with a 1" chlorine tablet floaty ball. I have found to keep the chlorine levels where you need it, I leave the ball in 2 days in and 1 day out. That seems to keep the chlorine level pretty much spot on. Same with PH and ALK. I used PH down once, and it has been fine ever since.
At most, I probably spend 2-3 minutes a day to screen it with the screen thing to get hairs out ect. I have taken out the filters and washed them out twice in the past month... still good.
So... not a pain at all. Reading up on it, this brand put a lot of effort in both the material it is made with as well as the texture of the walls to discourage mold/mildews.

Bought one of the nice ones when we lived in our first house.
Yes it gets old after awhile and yes they're a pain in the ass to maintain,seems every time you want to use it the the water is all fucked up.
We eventually got rid of it for free told the guy to come and get it and he can have it.
The only way I'll have a hot tub is if it's part of your pool. The pool guy comes once a week to vacuum/scrub and check the chemical balance.
Then it's only a matter of turning a couple valves to isolate the hot tub from the pool and turn on the gas heater. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes to get to a comfortable temp.
Of course now I'm sick of the pool,haven't been in the thing in over a year. It's a hole in the ground full of water that you throw money into.

Bought one of the nice ones when we lived in our first house.
Yes it gets old after awhile and yes they're a pain in the ass to maintain,seems every time you want to use it the the water is all fucked up.
We eventually got rid of it for free told the guy to come and get it and he can have it.
The only way I'll have a hot tub is if it's part of your pool. The pool guy comes once a week to vacuum/scrub and check the chemical balance.
Then it's only a matter of turning a couple valves to isolate the hot tub from the pool and turn on the gas heater. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes to get to a comfortable temp.
Of course now I'm sick of the pool,haven't been in the thing in over a year. It's a hole in the ground full of water that you throw money into.
Well yeah... you can't have sitting/heated water and expect to do nothing. Especially outside.
I don't have an issue with keeping the water balance, like I mentioned... it is sitting indoors in a building with HVAC. That makes a BIG difference in controlling nasties.

Well yeah... you can't have sitting/heated water and expect to do nothing. Especially outside.
I don't have an issue with keeping the water balance, like I mentioned... it is sitting indoors in a building with HVAC. That makes a BIG difference in controlling nasties.

I dont see how that would make a difference when you have a four inch thick insulated cover on it and it was covered by the roof over the deck.
And I really wouldnt want one indoors,we have a jacuzzi tub for that.
I want it outdoors so you can enjoy it in the winter with a blazing fire near by.

I dont see how that would make a difference when you have a four inch thick insulated cover on it and it was covered by the roof over the deck.
And I really wouldnt want one indoors,we have a jacuzzi tub for that.
I want it outdoors so you can enjoy it in the winter with a blazing fire near by.
I mention that because the pool we had, that I got rid of, was way too much frigging work to keep molds/dirt out.
You could spend half your dang weekend fooling with it.
I would get the chlorine levels right only to send the ALK to the moon. Then try to get the ALK down and be left with no chlorine.
Yeah... I don't want a pool ever again.

We have had it for about a month. I would say out of 10 days we use it 8.
We're not big TV watchers, so this is a nice relaxing thing to do as an option to do something.
We puzzle a lot. White Mountain Puzzles LOVES us.

Exercise equipment comment above... oh yeah... I learned decades ago not to buy any of it. You never stick with it.
As for continued use, I see us sticking with it. At 56 and 57... you got pains. And I have RA.
It's really not a pain to keep the maintenance up. It is made of a material that is mold resistant to begin with.
It took me a week to get the water balance right, but once I got the hand of that... it's nothing.
It comes with a 1" chlorine tablet floaty ball. I have found to keep the chlorine levels where you need it, I leave the ball in 2 days in and 1 day out. That seems to keep the chlorine level pretty much spot on. Same with PH and ALK. I used PH down once, and it has been fine ever since.
At most, I probably spend 2-3 minutes a day to screen it with the screen thing to get hairs out ect. I have taken out the filters and washed them out twice in the past month... still good.
So... not a pain at all. Reading up on it, this brand put a lot of effort in both the material it is made with as well as the texture of the walls to discourage mold/mildews.
Does it come with a cover?

Does it come with a cover?
Yes, it comes with everything. Including the pump/heater. Two filters, chlorine float.
The only thing you will need is a screen "wand", 1" chlorine tablets and maybe PH down you can get anywhere.
It even comes with test strips. Although I knew to buy more. You will go through 1 a day for several days till you get the water balance right.

Forum List

Back