Is a .22 good for home defense ??

Booby traps are against the law. A .22 is fine for self defense. The question is do you have what it takes to use it.20 gauge shotgun is fine also, it will get the job done. But if you don't feel you can shoot some one for self defense then don't own one at all. Get training before you buy and when comes to firearms it always safety first

I don't think a .22 is good enough for home defense, it ain't going to stop a big guy. And I wouldn't recommend the shotgun either, I would go with a 9mm semi-auto pistol that fires like 16 bullets or so. All you do is keep pulling the trigger until he goes down.

Shotguns are fine if you know how to shoot em.
Way to many think they know but actually have no idea.

I don't think a .22 is good enough for home defense, it ain't going to stop a big guy. And I wouldn't recommend the shotgun either, I would go with a 9mm semi-auto pistol that fires like 16 bullets or so. All you do is keep pulling the trigger until he goes down.

Shotguns are fine if you know how to shoot em.
Way to many think they know but actually have no idea.

Yeah, Jitler tried that once but he was holding it backwards and shot himself in the head. Fortunately, it went right through his skull and didn't hit anything.

If they get past my gated driveway, the security cameras, attack dogs and alligator-filled moat, I always keep a slingshot and some poison darts around.
giphy (10).gif

Any pistol caliber is lethal if the bullet hits the right spot. The .22lr pistol and a noise suppressor is actually the preferred weapon of the Italian Mob. However, there are two things to consider.
1. Law enforcement must regularly "qualify" on the firing range, yet despite the ample training, when in an actual law enforcement situation where they have to use their firearm (often a 9mm or .40 Cal. semi-automatic), the adrenalin is pumping through their system when they are firing at a danger and they actually miss about 50 percent of the time. So, if your idea is to purchase a pistol/revolver and just visit a firing range a few times, it won't be of much help, as you'll probably miss your target in a stressful situation. Also, when you do miss your criminal target, the bullet could go through one of your inner walls and hit someone else in the house, or through a window an into someone else's house.
2. An ideal home defense firearm would actually be a .410ga. shotgun. It doesn't require a great deal of practice and it's not as powerful as a .20ga or 12ga. and will hit the target.
Anyway, if you decide on a handgun, you must practice, practice, practice and never stop practicing.
I've been shooting various firearms since I was eight and spent a career in the military and even though I'm retired now, I still practice, practice, practice.

Any pistol caliber is lethal if the bullet hits the right spot. The .22lr pistol and a noise suppressor is actually the preferred weapon of the Italian Mob. However, there are two things to consider.
1. Law enforcement must regularly "qualify" on the firing range, yet despite the ample training, when in an actual law enforcement situation where they have to use their firearm (often a 9mm or .40 Cal. semi-automatic), the adrenalin is pumping through their system when they are firing at a danger and they actually miss about 50 percent of the time. So, if your idea is to purchase a pistol/revolver and just visit a firing range a few times, it won't be of much help, as you'll probably miss your target in a stressful situation. Also, when you do miss your criminal target, the bullet could go through one of your inner walls and hit someone else in the house, or through a window an into someone else's house.
2. An ideal home defense firearm would actually be a .410ga. shotgun. It doesn't require a great deal of practice and it's not as powerful as a .20ga or 12ga. and will hit the target.
Anyway, if you decide on a handgun, you must practice, practice, practice and never stop practicing.
I've been shooting various firearms since I was eight and spent a career in the military and even though I'm retired now, I still practice, practice, practice.
I don’t want to practice anymore than once every 3 weeks !! I don’t want to do much cleaning of the gun
I am not afraid to splatter someone if I fear they’re trying to kill me
I tried .40 and not only did I suck .I had several jams and felt confused

You said trained cops miss 50 percent
If I get a revolver I only have 6 shots
My odds are high that I miss

410 gauge is the smallest gauge shot gun. Depends on what type of walls you have. Its fine for self defense in a small apartment.
For some one not used with fire arms ,double barrel 410gauge shotgun and a revolver in .22magnum would do well for you. As the above poster said .practice ,practice.

410 gauge is the smallest gauge shot gun. Depends on what type of walls you have. Its fine for self defense in a small apartment.
For some one not used with fire arms ,double barrel 410gauge shotgun and a revolver in .22magnum would do well for you. As the above poster said .practice ,practice.
You mean .38 Rev or .22 pistol

So the .410 will stop anyone ?? Does it have much less kick than 20g

What ammo

Thx

Forum List

Back