How To Make Your Own Burn Barrel - Redneck Style

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
The first you you need, obviously, is a barrel. 55-gallon steel drums make the best burn barrels. You can usually pick one up at a scrap yard or a recycling center because remember, recycling is good for our ecology...

burn%20barrel1.jpg

burn%20barrel2.jpg

The next thing you need to do is poke some holes in it. That allows the air to flow inside, so you get a good, hot fire. There are many ways to poke holes through the steel barrel. But I prefer the easiest way, by using a 9mm Ruger P-89 with a big scary thing sticking out of the handle, and an ominous-looking black thing on the top. Don't be skeered, it won't bite you.

burn%20barrel3.jpg

Now what good is a hole-poker without hole-poker thingies that make all that noise and smoke? About as useless as bringing a tuba to a deer camp, I'll tell you. So I'm going to use these 124 grain cast wheel-weight boolits behind 3.9 grains of HP-38 pixie dust. They'll do about 1094 fps. Think they'll penetrate the steel drum?

burn%20barrel4.jpg

Always remember, safety first. You don't want to be that kid in the movie they refer to when they say "You'll shoot yer eye out."

burn%20barrel5.jpg

So here we are. Those hard cast boolits went clean through both sides, at point-blank range. At this point, the barrel is probably deceased. But it's always good to give it a kick or two, just to be sure...

burn%20barrel6.jpg

Entrance wound...

burn%20barrel7.jpg

Exit wound...

burn%20barrel8.jpg

Like I said before, recycling is a very important habit to get into. Not only are you saving the planet, it can actually save you money, by golly. So always be sure to pick up your brass when you're through...

burn%20barrel9.jpg

The last step in making a burn barrel, is having something to burn: Paper, plastic, wood, rubber, dead animal carcasses, etc. If you're not sure it will burn or not, you can always check it with a match or a lighter. I had some aluminum beer cans once, and wasn't sure if they would burn, so I checked them with a lighter, and by golly, they wouldn't burn.

I sure am glad I checked them first, otherwise I would have been disappointed.

Here's a helpful handy hint: A handful or three of some old corroded ammunition thrown into the fire, makes for an exciting enhancement to any fire: .22, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 30-30, 30-06, whatever you happen to have handy. You'll be spending hours with your loved ones, sitting around the warm, cozy burn barrel, remarking how beautiful the fire is. Be sure to take a picture, so the moment lasts forever...

burn%20barrel9a.jpg

Now I know that some of you folks might have never spent any time in the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts, and never learned to build a proper fire. Don't despair. Anyone can have a wonderful blazing fire in a matter of milliseconds: All you need is some gasoline and a lighter. Be careful though. You don't want to spill any of that on your shoes, as it could stain the leather...

burn%20barrel9b.jpg

And away we go! Isn't this a magnificent burn barrel? Your neighbors far and wide will be jealous of you, I guarantee. Only one thing: be sure to stand upwind while you're breaking in your burn barrel. The smoke from the paint and whatever the contents were, will give you one hell of a hacking cough when they cook off. You don't want people thinking you have cornonavirus or something, now do you?

burn%20barrel9c.jpg

Disclaimer: Neither the OP nor USMB will be held responsible for any and all accidents caused by and including: Burns, punctures, scrapes, cuts, abrasions, gunshot wounds, wildfires, irate neighbors, or any other boo-boos. Please exercise the proper precautions when using firearms, flammable materials, and ammunition. The procedures above are only to be carried out by an adult, or with adult supervision.

Forum List

Back