Iraq told us to LEAVE "their" country - PERIOD!

And I never thought I'd ever read Andrea Mitchell hitting out at the President.

ANDREA MITCHELL: But right now he’s tactically, he’s being held hostage to endless negotiations to get Maliki out. And to decide that you’re not going to do anything until you have a government is to wait forever, and is to permit ISIS to do what it has done.

And to say he that didn't have intelligence. This is not a hard target.

This is Irbil. We have people there. The fact is, there was intelligence. And to say that they were shocked by the Peshmerga on Saturday night being routed is a farce.

The White House wasn't listening.

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/1bs7eyx9mrtjb/?&v=c&th=147c55d7d50c3089

And I never thought I'd ever read Andrea Mitchell hitting out at the President.

ANDREA MITCHELL: But right now he’s tactically, he’s being held hostage to endless negotiations to get Maliki out. And to decide that you’re not going to do anything until you have a government is to wait forever, and is to permit ISIS to do what it has done.

And to say he that didn't have intelligence. This is not a hard target.

This is Irbil. We have people there. The fact is, there was intelligence. And to say that they were shocked by the Peshmerga on Saturday night being routed is a farce.

The White House wasn't listening.

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/1bs7eyx9mrtjb/?&v=c&th=147c55d7d50c3089

Apparently Hillary started an avalanche ?

Obama could not negotiate himself out of a wet paper bag.

very good ... your best original thought today?

Obama defends the Kurds ... the right says he's stopping genocide

Obama defends the Kurds .. the right says he's starting a war.

Divided they fall.

Obama is late to the party. The only reason he dragged his sorry ass into this was when the world found out that ISIS had thousands upon thousands of Yazidis surrounded.

And if he didn't act he would be blamed for every single death in those mountains.

If he'd acted earlier instead of being the petulant little "I want regime change now" king he could have prevented thousands of murders that ISIS have committed.

How many times on these threads have USMB right wingers said "Obama's decision to leave blah blah blah......"?

How many times have we posted links with Maliki telling us keeping troops in Iraq was NOT an option????

What is it that Right wingers don't get?

We couldn't stay.

That was the agreement.

And why couldn't we agree to stay? Because Maliki wanted US troops under Iraqi law. US troops could be prosecuted on a whim. That would never happen. Think about the disaster that would cause our soldiers.

They wouldn't back down because they wanted us gone.

Iraq wanted us gone.

Iraq didn't want us there.

We couldn't stay passed the agreement they made with Bush.

Is this so hard to understand? Seriously?

To this day they don't want us there.

True. This is a great example of the extreme ambiguity and complexity of the situation that so many people on the left don't seem to grasp.

Like you said, they don't want us there. But they clearly DO need us there. They asked for our help, did they not? They have lost one third of their country have they not?

We have gone in with airstrikes, have we not?

They want us there, they don't want us there.

They wanted our troops there, they didn't want our troops there.

Parliament wanted us there, Parliament did not want us there.

Maliki wanted our troops there, Maliki didn't ....

And I could do this several hundred times.

We keep talking like Iraq is one big monolith and everyone agrees. No, there is little agreement.

This is the real complexity, yet we have liberals (not you H) who keep picking just one half of just one statement as if that's the only variable that mattered.

That's why as we keep saying...it was subject to negotiation.

It's a bitch to rewrite history as it's happening. :lol:

I think we have quite a bit of re-writing history going on here. You're right. Obama made a pledge during the 2008 campaign he couldn't keep, but he tried to tie it together by taking credit for getting the troops out.
But then, we also have some folks discarding Bush heavy involvement with the troops leaving.
We are having a rewriting-of-history-a-rama!

This article covers it all, even though Red State came out with a recent article contradicting themselves from the linked article. Even they are rewriting history!:lol:
Iraq War ends on Bush’s schedule, not Obama’s
Iraq War ends on Bush's schedule, not Obama's | RedState

I don't think a single person is saying Bush didn't have a part in troops leaving Iraq. I have on these boards for years now been saying Bush ended the war, that Obama tried to keep the US there and that the Democrat voters are now part of the biggest war party... Liberals claim Obama ended the war because it ended under his watch, now these same people claim it was Bush's fault.... making the issue about why Obama failed to deliver on his promise to end the war if it ended because of Bush, and why Obama took credit for ending the war when it ended and Obama bots gave it to him.

My post #60 basically covers your correct assessment of the above post.
However, there are posters trying to pin everything on Obama, that is partisan hackery. Both Bush and Obama have some responsibility in regards to what is going on in Iraq but Maliki bears a most of the responsibility with his actions/reaction/inaction to the Sunnis within the government.

Stop lying libs.

McCain and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) were in direct talks with the Iraqi government at the time, McCain said, and Iraq was ready for a deal before the number of troops the United States proposed leaving fell sharply.

"What Senator Kaine is saying is just totally false," McCain said. "In fact, it's a lie, because Lindsey Graham and I were there."

"The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff himself said that the number of troops that we were proposing cascaded down to 3,000, when it had been recommended to be 20,000," McCain added.

He said Iraq, at that point, determined an agreement “wasn't worth the problem.”

Yazidi refugee crisis steps up with thousands fleeing into Syria as Obama arms Kurdish forces against ISIS | Mail Online

Iraq Wants the U.S. Out

BAGHDAD—Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ruled out the presence of any U.S. troops in Iraq after the end of 2011, saying his new government and the country's security forces were capable of confronting any remaining threats to Iraq's security, sovereignty and unity.
Mr. Maliki spoke with The Wall Street Journal in a two-hour interview, his first since Iraq ended nine months of stalemate and seated a new government after an inconclusive election, allowing Mr. Maliki to begin a second term as premier.
A majority of Iraqis—and some Iraqi and U.S. officials—have assumed the U.S. troop presence would eventually be extended, especially after the long government limbo. But Mr. Maliki was eager to draw a line in his most definitive remarks on the subject. "The last American soldier will leave Iraq" as agreed, he said, speaking at his office in a leafy section of Baghdad's protected Green Zone. "This agreement is not subject to extension, not subject to alteration. It is sealed."
Iraqi Prime Minister Says U.S. Forces Must Leave On Time - WSJ

The bottom line is that Maliki could not get the backing of the Iraqi Parliament (including his own Shiite faction) to extend the troops.
It doesn't matter what McCain and Graham said, those two weren't ever going to change Iraq's Parliament's mind. If Maliki couldn't change their mind, what makes you think two senators from a foreign country could?

The offer dropped to 3,000 troops remaining. It wasn't worth it to Maliki. Bottom line is that a deal should have been hammered out no matter how long it took.

And when Iraq was asking for airstrikes against ISIS last year, Obama refused.

So here we are.

no it shouldnt have been hammered out. whats wrong with you people. always willing to spend other peoples lives and not your own.

The deal was never going to be hammered out, there was absolutely no support on the Iraqi side.
One of the main reasons the ISIS spilled over into Iraq and gathered a ton of Sunni support is that Maliki basically shut out the Sunnis within the Iraqi government.
Obama gave Maliki a choice, start bringing Sunnis into his government and stop persecuting the Sunni and he'd get US help or don't bring the Sunnis back into the fold and don't get any American help.
Maliki chose to keep things as they were, Maliki is responsible for not getting US help.

the reason ISIS is there is because Saddam isn't ....

And that is the same reason the Kurds and the Shia are still alive.

yet the Kurds and the Shia managed to live for decades under Saddam ...

Obama could not negotiate himself out of a wet paper bag.

Divided they fall.

Obama is late to the party. The only reason he dragged his sorry ass into this was when the world found out that ISIS had thousands upon thousands of Yazidis surrounded.

And if he didn't act he would be blamed for every single death in those mountains.

If he'd acted earlier instead of being the petulant little "I want regime change now" king he could have prevented thousands of murders that ISIS have committed.

king? shut up you moron. If it wasnt Isis it would be some other group. Thats what the Middle East is about. They kill each other. deal with it

I think we have quite a bit of re-writing history going on here. You're right. Obama made a pledge during the 2008 campaign he couldn't keep, but he tried to tie it together by taking credit for getting the troops out.
But then, we also have some folks discarding Bush heavy involvement with the troops leaving.

This article covers it all, even though Red State came out with a recent article contradicting themselves from the linked article. Even they are rewriting history!:lol:

I don't think a single person is saying Bush didn't have a part in troops leaving Iraq. I have on these boards for years now been saying Bush ended the war, that Obama tried to keep the US there and that the Democrat voters are now part of the biggest war party... Liberals claim Obama ended the war because it ended under his watch, now these same people claim it was Bush's fault.... making the issue about why Obama failed to deliver on his promise to end the war if it ended because of Bush, and why Obama took credit for ending the war when it ended and Obama bots gave it to him.

However, there are posters trying to pin everything on Obama, that is partisan hackery. Both Bush and Obama have some responsibility in regards to what is going on in Iraq but Maliki bears a most of the responsibility with his actions/reaction/inaction to the Sunnis within the government.

What was the combat situation when Bush agreed to the pull out?

What was the combat situation when Obama executed the pull out?

If Obama executed the pull out despite indications the conditions on the ground were antsy it should be HIS responsibility.

Divided they fall.

king? shut up you moron. If it wasnt Isis it would be some other group. Thats what the Middle East is about. They kill each other. deal with it

Typical Liberal attitude.

When people around the world express a dislike of Americans it is people like you who inspire such enmity.

Last edited:
The offer dropped to 3,000 troops remaining. It wasn't worth it to Maliki. Bottom line is that a deal should have been hammered out no matter how long it took.

And when Iraq was asking for airstrikes against ISIS last year, Obama refused.

So here we are.

The deal was never going to be hammered out, there was absolutely no support on the Iraqi side.
One of the main reasons the ISIS spilled over into Iraq and gathered a ton of Sunni support is that Maliki basically shut out the Sunnis within the Iraqi government.
Obama gave Maliki a choice, start bringing Sunnis into his government and stop persecuting the Sunni and he'd get US help or don't bring the Sunnis back into the fold and don't get any American help.
Maliki chose to keep things as they were, Maliki is responsible for not getting US help.

Oh cut the bloody crap that this is about Sunni disenfranchisement. That's a pantload.

Obama has absolutely fucked up because he and other western leaders wanted Assad deposed by any means possible including ISIS growing in power and stature to become the wealthiest terror army on the planet.

Iraq asked for air strikes last year against ISIS. Obama owns this bloody mess in Iraq.

Well, don't take my word, do a Google search using "maliki sunni government civil war' and see what the ME experts are saying. :eusa_whistle:

With the Sunnis establishing a caliphate up north they might be resistant to working with the new Iraqi president.

I'm involved in a close game of Trivial Pursuit here and I need to know the answer.

Did Obama pull our troops out or did Maliki tell him that they had to go ? Please hurry.

LOL, dillo. Well put actually. Libs on these threads are what we call single-threaders. Can't think in complex, ambiguous ways, just linear EITHER -- OR paradigms.

Doesn't occur to them it could be both at the same time. And in that case you have to "weight" each sub variable.

I've tried explaining this in the econ threads and it makes their heads explode.

Oh piss off that this is a Sunni uprising. It's a blatant lie. And piss off that ISIS is Maliki's fault. It's a blatant lie. And Bush has nothing at all to do with the "new and improved" ISIS.

Talk about partisan freaking hackery. You're a poster child for it.

Proofs in the pudding boys, obviously the country wasn't stable enough for us to leave. Obama should have renegotiated the exit date. Instead, he simply wanted to appease the doves, so he left prematurely.

Face it, Obama fucked up. The proof is right in front of your faces on the evening news every day.

LOL. I know...these dumbasses will tell you the moon is made of cheese, the oceans are made of bubblegum, 2+2 is 8, and Reagan was the biggest disaster ever.

I used to laugh when I heard such absurdities....but after being on this board for just a few weeks actively, I see the power of not just lib media, lib academia, and lib Hollywood in the past.....but now the power of the internet to turn them into bots even more. They definitely have an inability to think critically when these dumbasses read something on the internet.

With the Sunnis establishing a caliphate up north they might be resistant to working with the new Iraqi president.

:lmao:

No freaking guff. I just can't see ISIS getting a warm and fuzzy for whoever takes over the Iraq government.

It's amazing to witness the left wing whackos try to turn the invasion and that's what it was into some sort of political protest.

They are completely insane. It was an invasion. And by anyone's standard a lightning fast takeover of a lot of Iraq. But they are trying to portray it as a rebellion.

I guess they have to. Obama has monumentally fucked up again and they are pulling out all stops to blame everyone else for his failure in dealing with ISIS.

He can order drone strikes on wedding parties in Yemen but hell's bells he wouldn't help out last year when the Iraqis were pleading for drone strikes to contain ISIS.

Forum List

Back