Insufferable actors/actresses

Jane Fonda anyone?
She's is a good actor just like her dad. Actors should be judged based on their acting ability, not their personal life. Acting is about becoming a character which may or may not reflect their own personality and character. Some actors are about the same on screen as off screen such as Meryl Streep, Whoopi Goldberg, John Wayne, Jane Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Billy Murray, Robin Williams, etc. Actors like this have to choose their rolls that match their personality and character. But the best actors are those that can play very diverse characters such as Dustin Hoffman, Charlize Theron, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Henry Fonda, Laurence Oliver, James Cagney, Charlie Chaplin, ect..

While we're on the topic, you hardly ever see this guy any more in front of the camera unless he's paying to be there himself as executive producer....Billy Crystal. The only thing I have ever liked that he was in (and it wasn't because he was in it) was America's Sweethearts.
He’s old. At 71 he’s too old to play the lead in what he does best, romantic comedies; not to mention the fact that studios don’t really make romantic comedies these days.

I liked passengers but tolerated Jennifer in that movie because I like Chris Pratt.
I never signed up with Twitter, so I missed her rants.
Her movie "Red Sparrow" is well acted and one of my favorites. ... :cool:
The only other movie I’ve seen her in was Serena, she played an evil bitch. But then Bradley Cooper was in that so I liked it in spite of her lol.

Jane Fonda anyone?
She's is a good actor just like her dad. Actors should be judged based on their acting ability, not their personal life. Acting is about becoming a character which may or may not reflect their own personality and character. Some actors are about the same on screen as off screen such as Meryl Streep, Whoopi Goldberg, John Wayne, Jane Fonda, Robert Mitchum, Billy Murray, Robin Williams, etc. Actors like this have to choose their rolls that match their personality and character. But the best actors are those that can play very diverse characters such as Dustin Hoffman, Charlize Theron, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Henry Fonda, Laurence Oliver, James Cagney, Charlie Chaplin, ect..
Jane Fonda is not a good actress. She was terrible in Barefoot in the park. I watched that when I was a kid and wondered what heck Robert Redford was thinking even back then..

Most of the more recent" stars" .They get paid large amounts and just do not have the talent.
I agree. Can’t even think of a young up and coming actor that is even memorable. Tom Holland...maybe...but other than that no one comes to mind ( male or female).

If I could re-start this thread, I would ask that "we" try to ignore our opinions of the actors as individuals and focus on their acting.

As for me, there are several that I abhor personally but like their work, with Jane Fonda probably being Exhibit A. Barbra Streisand - great vocalist and very entertaining actress. Jim Carrey seems to be an awful human being, but has done some excellent work, both in comedy and otherwise.

Thanks for pointing out Adam Sandler above. Him I just don't "get."
I see screen stars as falling into two distinct categories, great actors and screen personalities. Great actors can transform themselves into a variety of characters such as Johnny Depp, Laurence Olivier, or Dustin Hoffman. Screen personality are people whose personally appeals audiences. They don't get into their rolls because they are playing characters that are pretty close to themselves, for example John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Redford, Meryl Streep, Jane Fonda, etc.

This is off the point but Jennifer Lawrence was chosen for her first major role (Hunger Games) because SHE WASN'T PRETTY. They wanted to make her believable.

BUT, in the ensuing years she has been the beneficiary of the talented MoFo's in "Hollywood" who can make ANY healthy female look attractive, sometime miraculously. And she has made herself beautiful - physically at least.

While we're on the topic, you hardly ever see this guy any more in front of the camera unless he's paying to be there himself as executive producer....Billy Crystal. The only thing I have ever liked that he was in (and it wasn't because he was in it) was America's Sweethearts.
He’s old. At 71 he’s too old to play the lead in what he does best, romantic comedies; not to mention the fact that studios don’t really make romantic comedies these days.

Its not that really...but my read of him is that he is a lot like Warren Beatty...he tries to elevate himself above the material and any context of the movie he happens to be in. Just my take.

Jane Fonda anyone?
Jane Fonda is not a good actress. She was terrible in Barefoot in the park. I watched that when I was a kid and wondered what heck Robert Redford was thinking even back then..
I thought she was pretty good in the role, a lot better than Elizabeth Ashley who played the part when it hit Broadway in the 60's. I think she is a good actor but not great. Apparently there are a lot of people who think sees damn good. She has been nominated and has won numerous awards. I thought Mildred Natwick who played the mother really made that movie a hit.

Its not that really...but my read of him is that he is a lot like Warren Beatty...he tries to elevate himself above the material and any context of the movie he happens to be in. Just my take.
I really don't care for his screen personality, although I have enjoyed several of his movies.

Jane Fonda anyone?
I thought she was pretty good in the role, a lot better than Elizabeth Ashley who played the part when it hit Broadway in the 60's. I think she is a good actor but not great. Apparently there are a lot of people who think sees damn good. She has been nominated and has won numerous awards. I thought Mildred Natwick who played the mother really made that movie a hit.
I remember Mildred Natwick from Tammy and the Bachelor and a TV movie from the 70’s they played every year .the House without a Christmas tree. She was wonderful. Jane Fonda not so much. Fonda benefitted from her famous name.

During a discussion of favorite films and television shows, it quickly became apparent that most people have an actor or actress who is a complete turn-off, and they can't stand any film in which they are featured.

For me, I admit to having more than one. Kevin Costner is such a horrible "actor" that I don't even want to be in the same building where one of his films is being shown. If he is ever in a film with Meryl Streep, I will have to bomb the theater (before any paying customers arrive) to prevent the possibility...

Do any of our other correspondents have similar reactions to famous thespians?
People who CANNOT act their way out of a wet paper bag:

- Anyone from the cast of Friends
- Vin Diesel
- Keanu Reeves
- Guy who played "Jesse" on Breaking Bad. Don't know his name, don't want to know it
- John Travolta

For starters...

During a discussion of favorite films and television shows, it quickly became apparent that most people have an actor or actress who is a complete turn-off, and they can't stand any film in which they are featured.

For me, I admit to having more than one. Kevin Costner is such a horrible "actor" that I don't even want to be in the same building where one of his films is being shown. If he is ever in a film with Meryl Streep, I will have to bomb the theater (before any paying customers arrive) to prevent the possibility...

- Vin Diesel
- Keanu Reeves
- Guy who played "Jesse" on Breaking Bad. Don't know his name, don't want to know it
- John Travolta

For starters...

Ice T has to be on that list. I will say this about Reeves, everyone says he’s bad, but the Martix was iconic, so I’m not sure he’s that bad.

OVERactors:

- Ed Harris
- Nick Cage
- Al Pacino (has some great stuff, but clearly needs a strong director to reign him in)
- William Shatner (undisputed king)
- Ben Affleck & Matt Damon

- Vin Diesel
- Keanu Reeves
- John Travolta

For starters...

Ice T has to be on that list. I will say this about Reeves, everyone says he’s bad, but the Martix was iconic, so I’m not sure he’s that bad.
Agreed on Ice T, but I didn't think he should be included, since nobody but Ice T takes Ice T seriously as an actor, haha

Will Ferral. I liked the elf movie though. The rest bad.

- Vin Diesel
- Keanu Reeves
- John Travolta

For starters...
Neither could John Wayne, Elvis Presley, Paris Hilton, Jennifer Lopez, John Travolta, or Harrison Ford. They had a screen persona that audiences loved but they weren't really great actors. There are some stars that audience loved and were also great actors, such as Tome Hanks, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Spenser Tracy, Morgan Freeman, James Dean, Paul Neuman, Sidney Poitier, Gregory Peck, and James Stewart. Critics loved them for their acting ability and audience just plain loved them.

Forum List

Back