Insufferable actors/actresses

If I could re-start this thread, I would ask that "we" try to ignore our opinions of the actors as individuals and focus on their acting.

As for me, there are several that I abhor personally but like their work, with Jane Fonda probably being Exhibit A. Barbra Streisand - great vocalist and very entertaining actress. Jim Carrey seems to be an awful human being, but has done some excellent work, both in comedy and otherwise.

Thanks for pointing out Adam Sandler above. Him I just don't "get."

Tom Cruise.
I will acknowledge the fact he can seriously act. But his ego is so huge that over and over the films he chooses are ones where he has superman talent on something or another, and of course every woman in the movie is amazingly good looking and wants him so bad.
Numerous movies of his I specifically never watch, no matter how popular, because he is in it.

When was the last time Tom Cruise actually acted in anything? 2008's Valkyrie, in my opinion. Everything since then has been some variation of his Ethan Hunt character from Mission Impossible or the actual character itself. The last really good appearance in a film for him was his turn as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.

I am fairly well convinced he has been taking these high paying low effort roles so he can pay his Cult of Scientology dues...

And don't even get me started on his casting as Jack Reacher...

The movie where he played a drug dealer a few years ago was pretty good. Vanilla Skye was also pretty good

If I could re-start this thread, I would ask that "we" try to ignore our opinions of the actors as individuals and focus on their acting.

As for me, there are several that I abhor personally but like their work, with Jane Fonda probably being Exhibit A. Barbra Streisand - great vocalist and very entertaining actress. Jim Carrey seems to be an awful human being, but has done some excellent work, both in comedy and otherwise.

Jim Carey used to be great, but he lost his touch. Him doing Biden on SNL is the most pathetic example of sketch comedy I’ve ever witnessed

During a discussion of favorite films and television shows, it quickly became apparent that most people have an actor or actress who is a complete turn-off, and they can't stand any film in which they are featured.

For me, I admit to having more than one. Kevin Costner is such a horrible "actor" that I don't even want to be in the same building where one of his films is being shown. If he is ever in a film with Meryl Streep, I will have to bomb the theater (before any paying customers arrive) to prevent the possibility...

Do any of our other correspondents have similar reactions to famous thespians?

Dude - Meryl Streep seriously? One of the great actresses of our time. Costner was in many duds but he's not THE worst or most annoying/ insufferable. For that I'd have to go with Barbara Streisand, Kim Kardashian and Adam Sandler.

Tom Cruise.
I will acknowledge the fact he can seriously act. But his ego is so huge that over and over the films he chooses are ones where he has superman talent on something or another, and of course every woman in the movie is amazingly good looking and wants him so bad.
Numerous movies of his I specifically never watch, no matter how popular, because he is in it.

When was the last time Tom Cruise actually acted in anything? 2008's Valkyrie, in my opinion. Everything since then has been some variation of his Ethan Hunt character from Mission Impossible or the actual character itself. The last really good appearance in a film for him was his turn as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.

I am fairly well convinced he has been taking these high paying low effort roles so he can pay his Cult of Scientology dues...

The movie where he played a drug dealer a few years ago was pretty good. Vanilla Skye was also pretty good
Like I say, he can act. A good example was Collateral.
He is good at playing intense people. Just not believable as a physical bad ass in Reacher and others. He is 5'7" and probably 140lbs. or so. He would get his ass kicked by a lot of women, let alone even a medium sized male.
He has starred in some good films, but overwhelmingly he chooses the same character - a cracker jack, super talented dudw with women begging to have him. His ego is the only thing that matters to him. And exactly why he is a Scientologist. Because without effort he can be a superstar in it.
Tom Cruise's photo should be next to the word in the dictionary.

Jim Carey used to be great, but he lost his touch. Him doing Biden on SNL is the most pathetic example of sketch comedy I’ve ever witnessed
Carey has played the same character since he was Fireman Bob.

Hyperactive lunatic.

Tom Cruise.

He is good at playing intense people. Just not believable as a physical bad ass in Reacher and others. He is 5'7" and probably 140lbs. or so. He would get his ass kicked by a lot of women, let alone even a medium sized male.
He has starred in some good films, but overwhelmingly he chooses the same character - a cracker jack, super talented dudw with women begging to have him. His ego is the only thing that matters to him. And exactly why he is a Scientologist. Because without effort he can be a superstar in it.

A lot of actors that play tough guy roles are small in stature. I don’t watch most of his movies because frankly I have no interest in seeing movies like mission impossible or Jack Reacher, but in the past I thought he’s played in some pretty diverse roles that were decent. I thought he was pretty good in Jerry McGuire.

Hyperactive lunatic.

I mean Dumb and Dumber was funny and Ace Ventura Pet Decretive was really funny. But I understand where you’re coming from. He does tend to act like a hyperactive lunatic

Tom Cruise.

A lot of actors that play tough guy roles are small in stature. I don’t watch most of his movies because frankly I have no interest in seeing movies like mission impossible or Jack Reacher, but in the past I thought he’s played in some pretty diverse roles that were decent. I thought he was pretty good in Jerry McGuire.
When Cruise is not playing the cracker jack best man in the world at _____ .... he is a good actor.
But 90% of his movies are just him being the super guy getting the amazing model woman.

Tom Cruise.

He does most of his stunts from my understanding. It takes physical abilities to do that. Actors want to stay relevant. He does a few dramas in a row with little financial return and he may be relegated to lesser films or TV.

Too many to name but a few that come to mind first

Richard Dreyfus ( condescending elitist prick)
Amy Schumer
Jennifer Lawrence
Alyssa Milano
Sean Penn
Alec Baldwin
Jim Carey ( have always hated his overrated ass)
Jane Fonda
Brie Larson

Geez I could go on forever...it would probably be faster to name the actors I like. :)

Amy Schumer
Jennifer Lawrence
Alyssa Milano
Sean Penn
Alec Baldwin
Jane Fonda
Brie Larson

Geez I could go on forever...it would probably be faster to name the actors I like. :)
Jennifer Lawrence... I want to not like her...but... she is so freaking hot!!!

Amy Schumer
Jennifer Lawrence
Alyssa Milano
Sean Penn
Alec Baldwin
Jane Fonda
Brie Larson
I agree with all your choices except for Jennifer Lawrence.
Her movie "Red Sparrow" was outstanding, and I liked her performance in "Passengers" and "Joy". .... :cool:

Hyperactive lunatic.

I mean Dumb and Dumber was funny and Ace Ventura Pet Decretive was really funny. But I understand where you’re coming from. He does tend to act like a hyperactive lunatic
He is a wannabe Robin Williams. Never in a million years.

Forum List

Back