Instead of entering WW1, could we have conquered Canada?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
In 1914, we start mobilizing for war. Only the President and a few advisors know we are actually getting ready to invade Canada. Then in 1915, we attack Canada. Could we have conquered it? In 1915, Canada had a population of 8 million people. We had a population of 100 million. What did we get out of World War I?

Yes.................no.....................................................................wut?

In 1914, we start mobilizing for war. Only the President and a few advisors know we are actually getting ready to invade Canada. Then in 1915, we attack Canada. Could we have conquered it? In 1915, Canada had a population of 8 million people. We had a population of 100 million. What did we get out of World War I?
but what would we do the rest of the day???

The US would stand no chance against the Canadians

12.jpg

..there are very few examples of countries invading others and completely taking over/etc.--post 1900

Could we have invaded and conquered Canada? Yes.

What possible reason did we have? I mean, other than proving that we were assholes?
.....like I said, there are very few examples of even LARGE countries with a HUGE military invading other countries and taking over completely/etc
..the Russians and Brits '''lost''' in Afghanistan
..we ''lost'' in Vietnam
etc etc

Could we have invaded and conquered Canada? Yes.

What possible reason did we have? I mean, other than proving that we were assholes?
.....like I said, there are very few examples of even LARGE countries with a HUGE military invading other countries and taking over completely/etc
..the Russians and Brits '''lost''' in Afghanistan
..we ''lost'' in Vietnam
etc etc

We were not trying to conquer Vietnam and did not fully commit to a war halfway across the world where it was hard to determine a personal stake. Additionally, Vietnam is not as small of a country in terms of population as some may believe. It has a population of about 100 million people. It was also backed up very heavily with both manpower and equipment by neighboring China, which is certainly not a small country. The Soviet Union assisted Vietnam as well, mostly with massive amounts of equipment. In terms of soldiers, we were actually outnumbered in Vietnam and our only advantage was in terms of superior equipment.

The only country I could see sending much aid to Canada in 1915 would have been England and I don't think that would have happened. I don't see England pulling hundreds of thousands of troops off the Western Front and shipping them thousands of miles away when Germany was 50 miles outside of Paris.

Actually, the US started mobilizing for war in 1917, right after Woodrow Wilson was reelected by pledging to keep us out of WW1. Later, his naive peace proposals practically guaranteed another war 20 years later.

The US emerged as the world's dominant industrial power after WW1. Thank God we didn't have to carry Canada on our backs when the Great Depression hit.

Actually, the US started mobilizing for war in 1917, right after Woodrow Wilson was reelected by pledging to keep us out of WW1. Later, his naive peace proposals practically guaranteed another war 20 years later.

The US emerged as the world's dominant industrial power after WW1. Thank God we didn't have to carry Canada on our backs when the Great Depression hit.

I'm aware of that. I'm talking about the USA using the war as an opportunity to mobilize in 1914 pretending to be England and France's ally, implying that we are going to help the Allies, and then launching an attack in 1915 against Canada instead.

President Woodie Wilson toured the Country promising American mothers that he would never send their sons to fight in a foreign war and then he sent the Doughboys to fight for France. How did he get away with it? He had the total support of the media that never saw a democrat they didn't like in the bloody 20th century.

Well admittedly we could not have done a lot at the time but Germany was starving and collapse would have happened anyway.

Then it would not have been just England but the might of the British Empire. Forces and weaponry from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, India, and over 50 other countries all sailing for both US coasts.

Think The Brits wouldn't have bothered?

Argentina thought that. Britain in recession and industrial strife,....... na they wont send a fleet halfway down the globe for their silly Falklands.

Wrong and it took a few months to route and send them packing.

Britain is a history of thousands of years fighting wars!

If you could not beat a bunch of paddy farmers in Vietnam at your peak, how would you cope with the greatest empire in history, at our peak?

President Woodie Wilson toured the Country promising American mothers that he would never send their sons to fight in a foreign war and then he sent the Doughboys to fight for France. How did he get away with it? He had the total support of the media that never saw a democrat they didn't like in the bloody 20th century.
The Germans did sink a Cruise Ship - The Lusitania, 128 US citizens brutally murdered with no means of defending herself - an act of war which Wilson should have declared then in 1915.

The Germans did sink a Cruise Ship - The Lusitania, 128 US citizens brutally murdered with no means of defending herself - an act of war which Wilson should have declared then in 1915.
The Brits were at war with Germany for a year. Why any American would want to take a cruise on a British ship at war is anybody's guess and maybe the Wilson administration was at fault for not warning foreign based Americans of the hazards of traveling during wartime. Wilson could have avoided the hundred thousand American casualties by accepting Germany's apology for the deaths of 125 Americans aboard a British ship but it's possible that Wilson was not in his right mind since a crippling stroke finally took him out of the game.

Well admittedly we could not have done a lot at the time but Germany was starving and collapse would have happened anyway.

Then it would not have been just England but the might of the British Empire. Forces and weaponry from Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, India, and over 50 other countries all sailing for both US coasts.

Think The Brits wouldn't have bothered?

Argentina thought that. Britain in recession and industrial strife,....... na they wont send a fleet halfway down the globe for their silly Falklands.

Wrong and it took a few months to route and send them packing.

Britain is a history of thousands of years fighting wars!

If you could not beat a bunch of paddy farmers in Vietnam at your peak, how would you cope with the greatest empire in history, at our peak?

The USA is not Argentina.

Forum List

Back