Infrastructure Questions

Do you agree we need to upgrade our infrastructure?

Should we pay for it or simply put the bill on the debt?

If we pay for it, how should we do that?
Yes. Our roads sewers and bridges are atrocious. Every minute that goes by where they are not fixed it becomes significantly more expensive. I retired from fixing them because I did not want to get lynched when people can no longer get where they want to go and suffer the economic consequences of not being able to get where they need to go. I know at least 20 county engineers that are retiring in the next four years for the same reason in my state alone. Those are just the ones I know about there are likely more. Funding these projects over the last 15 years has become a freaking nightmare. We have been patching not fixing for a long time. So not only will this become extremely expensive in the very near future a good percentage of the people that know how to manage projects of this size will be gone. Good fucking luck!

you must live in a shitty state,,

here is missouri things arent so bad outside the seasonal potholes and slow government workers,,,

OMG I drove on Missouri roads last month.

What a mess. Seriously. Why can't they build a flat smooth road? I was literally bouncing down the road.

That is on top of roads so filled with cracks and potholes it was impossible to avoid the potholes and the roads were so crisscrossed with that black stuff to fill the cracks. Barely any of the original road showed.

Missouri was filthy dirty too. Especially in St. Louis. Wow. What a mess. And why don't they put proper signs on the road?

I couldn't wait to get out of Missouri.

Wow. What a mess. The best thing I can say about Missouri, it's not Oklahoma.

No, it is not possible to build smooth roads in a place like MO.
That is because the soil is clay, which shrinks and expands depending on moisture content, and they have periodic droughts and floods.
So then roads start smooth and get wavier over time.
The bulges make cracks, the water gets in, freezes, and that makes pot holes.

But roads are both state and federal concerns.
The feds collect all the gas tax to fix the roads, but they only then are willing to pay half of the repair costs.
The state has to come up with the other half.

Yes. Our roads sewers and bridges are atrocious. Every minute that goes by where they are not fixed it becomes significantly more expensive. I retired from fixing them because I did not want to get lynched when people can no longer get where they want to go and suffer the economic consequences of not being able to get where they need to go. I know at least 20 county engineers that are retiring in the next four years for the same reason in my state alone. Those are just the ones I know about there are likely more. Funding these projects over the last 15 years has become a freaking nightmare. We have been patching not fixing for a long time. So not only will this become extremely expensive in the very near future a good percentage of the people that know how to manage projects of this size will be gone. Good fucking luck!

here is missouri things arent so bad outside the seasonal potholes and slow government workers,,,
Saint Louis has the worst sewer system in the United States. We have this thing called NACE. Stands for National County Ebgineers Association. I am well aware of the infrastructure conditions of the entire nation. I was a past president. I don't even want to begin to hear horse shit drivel on this subject. You will hit the ignore list quick. I only committed most my life to it. But thanks for your layman input on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

then st louis should pay for it to be fixed and not the rest of the people in the country,,

its none of the feds business,,
Roads sewers and bridges are integral to interstate commerce. Guess who is responsible for that. Saint Louis has let the sewer system get to the point where they can't fix it by themselves. They are not the only cities in the same predicament. We do not even want to talk about the situation in rural America. The are many small towns and counties that have very little population. It takes approximately 1 million dollars per mile to build a road. Many roads have been neglected to the point where they are going to have to be replaced down to their base. This makes fixing them more expensive than building new because all the old materials have to be hauled away, disposed of or recycled. Many of the small towns and unpopulated countries do not and will not have the budget to fix them. The problem is actually much much more serious for these areas. Guesd who tends to live in these arras.

I drove through several of them last month.

The roads are so bad it caused a 5 month old front tire on my car to literally blow up.

The AAA man who came to help told me it's normal. It happens all the time. In fact, it had happened to him 3 times in the last 2 years.

The thing is, it's not like that in my state. It's not normal for the road to destroy a 5 month old Bridgestone tire.

I guess they love to constantly have to spend the money to replace tires, do realignments, replace their shocks and other problems caused by those bad roads. We all know that the people in red states can afford to waste their money.
The problem with Red States is they will fix roads and bridg es as long as someone else is paying for it.

If they have to come up with the money, the work goes undone
well yeah...and usually it's companies moving their HQs in...fleeing high tax States like NY and Cali.

Thanks
Another fine example of Red States poaching those companies WITHOUT making them pay for infrastructure
I will make a deal with you,,

you get the 50% that pay nothing in income tax and the 22% that get more back than pay in to start paying their fair share I/we will stop complaining
Red States get much more in Federal Funding than they pay in

MOOCHERS!
Well no, there is more federal spending...but red states also are home to a lot of federal property.

California and NY are the states that take the most in Federal welfare...such as SNAP, and medicaid

We can pay for it by borrowing or by taxing, but it has to be done.

We can't have:

View attachment 488286
Or you asshole liberoidals can quit stealing 20% of the highway trust fund to pay for UTA choo-choos that nobody rides, Jake.
The days of thinking highways are the solution to all our transportation needs are over
Irrelevant opinion, backed up by nothing.

The fuel tax -the source of dollars for the highway trust fund- is supposed to go for roads and bridges for everyone, not urban mass transit scams for the bureaucrats and contractors.
Wrong again Skippy

Each state decides how to use those funds. Those with large metropolitan areas tend to favor mass transit.
States don't get to dictate how the Federal Govt spends their fuel tax dollars. They do have their own and can do what they will with that. Some states do well....some like liberal NY with it's massive tax, have horrible failing infrustrute and need massive bailouts...like Xiden and the Dems did for Cuomo in the "Covid" relief package

its not a federal issue,,
each state is responsible for their own infrastructure,,

Everyone no matter what state they are in pays federal tax on the gas they buy.

That money is supposed to be spent on roads.

Add to that every state has an interstate highway. Which is paid for by federal tax dollars since it's federal infrastructure.

Your ridiculous statement is just sad.

I was in red states last month. They are falling apart. Especially the rural areas. The conservatives have abandoned their rural small towns. They take tax dollars from those in small towns and don't invest it back into the small towns.

Red states roads are so bad that driving on them for only 8 days blew up a tire on my car. A tire that was only 5 months old.

The sad thing is people who live in those states thinks that's normal. It's not.

It's a good thing that you are meaningless. What you want and think means absolutely nothing to anyone. Your opinions are meaningless.

You don't make any of the decisions on anything in this nation so what you think and want means absolutely nothing.

The nation's infrastructure will be updated no matter what you think or want.

Get used to it.
Rural areas would not have paved roads without investment from the Federal Government and urban taxpayers
wrong,, those roads are paid with from property taxs not fed income taxs,,
Not really
Rural infrastructure was heavily subsidized by the Feds and urban taxation

The fact that their property taxes do not cover maintaining or expanding these roads is evident in their poor condition

It's not just that they don't have enough people to generate revenues.

It's that the revenues they do generate, aren't spent on them. It's spent in the lager cities. Even stealing revenue from the rural areas isn't enough for their larger cities. Those cities are a total mess. Wow. The poverty.

Compared to where I live, it's like going to third world conditions.

Saint Louis has the worst sewer system in the United States. We have this thing called NACE. Stands for National County Ebgineers Association. I am well aware of the infrastructure conditions of the entire nation. I was a past president. I don't even want to begin to hear horse shit drivel on this subject. You will hit the ignore list quick. I only committed most my life to it. But thanks for your layman input on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

then st louis should pay for it to be fixed and not the rest of the people in the country,,

Roads sewers and bridges are integral to interstate commerce. Guess who is responsible for that. Saint Louis has let the sewer system get to the point where they can't fix it by themselves. They are not the only cities in the same predicament. We do not even want to talk about the situation in rural America. The are many small towns and counties that have very little population. It takes approximately 1 million dollars per mile to build a road. Many roads have been neglected to the point where they are going to have to be replaced down to their base. This makes fixing them more expensive than building new because all the old materials have to be hauled away, disposed of or recycled. Many of the small towns and unpopulated countries do not and will not have the budget to fix them. The problem is actually much much more serious for these areas. Guesd who tends to live in these arras.

The roads are so bad it caused a 5 month old front tire on my car to literally blow up.

The AAA man who came to help told me it's normal. It happens all the time. In fact, it had happened to him 3 times in the last 2 years.

The thing is, it's not like that in my state. It's not normal for the road to destroy a 5 month old Bridgestone tire.

I guess they love to constantly have to spend the money to replace tires, do realignments, replace their shocks and other problems caused by those bad roads. We all know that the people in red states can afford to waste their money.
I don't even know how to describe the pure lunacy I hear from them. Use to be conservatives understood up keep.

I don't even know how to describe the pure lunacy I hear from them. Use to be conservatives understood up keep.

You will have to go all the way back to Eisenhower to find a conservative who understood upkeep.

Tax cuts for the rich and business, deregulation and packing our courts with unqualified right wing judges are all they care about.

Our nation has been letting our infrastructure fall apart since the reagan years.

You will have to go all the way back to Eisenhower to find a conservative who understood upkeep.

Tax cuts for the rich and business, deregulation and packing our courts with unqualified right wing judges are all they care about.

Our nation has been letting our infrastructure fall apart since the reagan years.
as opposed to unqualified leftwing judges,,

Forum List

Back