Joe Blow or Corporate duties

Pythagoras

Dec 24, 2020
Samos, Greece
Over the past couple of decades, several organizations have profited off of the idea that using their systems will save the planet. "Living Green" is one of the best selling points when talking about a product. We see metal straws being more common recycled goods being used as fast food cups. We even have started to spray our ass with water instead of using toilet paper. While things like this can be seen as helpful it has been know to not dent the environmental situation we currently see today. Several organizations have started to target corporations attempting to force their hand in cleaning up their act. We see several facilities using certain kinds of energy-producing, utilizing reusable goods, and some factories have taken to putting filters atop their facilities to lower the C02 production.

I am curious to hear about what people think. Where does the problem lay? Should it be the duty of the people to clean up their act even though it may not be enough? Should corporations be hit with taxes on C02 or regulations to force them to clean up? I know there are several theories on what to do. What are some of yours? What do you believe to be the biggest issue with keeping our planet green?

Over the past couple of decades, several organizations have profited off of the idea that using their systems will save the planet. "Living Green" is one of the best selling points when talking about a product. We see metal straws being more common recycled goods being used as fast food cups. We even have started to spray our ass with water instead of using toilet paper. While things like this can be seen as helpful it has been know to not dent the environmental situation we currently see today. Several organizations have started to target corporations attempting to force their hand in cleaning up their act. We see several facilities using certain kinds of energy-producing, utilizing reusable goods, and some factories have taken to putting filters atop their facilities to lower the C02 production.

I am curious to hear about what people think. Where does the problem lay? Should it be the duty of the people to clean up their act even though it may not be enough? Should corporations be hit with taxes on C02 or regulations to force them to clean up? I know there are several theories on what to do. What are some of yours? What do you believe to be the biggest issue with keeping our planet green?
Good corporate citizens should be controlling the amount they pollute as best they can, without having to be dragged kicking and screaming. Companies are realizing their corporate image more and are less vocal about the screaming. More needs to be done, as I do not view a hopeless situation. Not at a business killing pace, but at a pace that recognized the value of the environment. Not continuing to improve on this front is as always, just externalizing the costs of manufacturing to people that do not benefit from the product, without their consent.

Are we talking about dumping high-level radioactive waste into our rivers? ... of course corporations have a responsibility to dispose of these extremely dangerous materials in an environmentally friendly way ... and we have laws and regulations to control these practices ... we had chemical companies just dumping their toxic crap into Love Canal, cover it with dirt, and then build a residential neighborhood on top ...

Of course these rules are helpful ... and make a considerable positive impact on both nature and our communities ... the rivers that flow through Cleveland, Ohio haven't caught fire in decades ... thick choking layers of smog in the US's cities are a thing of the past ... kids today don't remember tap water smelling of benzene ... asbestos in public school classrooms is all gone now ...

At the other extreme are many many cities who went to all the time and expense to put used oil dump pits along all the city streets just to prohibit dumping used oil down them now ... fricking morons ... fill them full of concrete if you don't want them open ... just a big hassle that doesn't do anyone any good at all ... just feel good lazy liberalism with too much LSD on hand ...

The best way to keep the Earth green is to stop laying down asphalt and concrete ... duh ... conserve ... recycle ... quit breeding ...

Good corporate citizens should be controlling the amount they pollute as best they can, without having to be dragged kicking and screaming. Companies are realizing their corporate image more and are less vocal about the screaming. More needs to be done, as I do not view a hopeless situation. Not at a business killing pace, but at a pace that recognized the value of the environment. Not continuing to improve on this front is as always, just externalizing the costs of manufacturing to people that do not benefit from the product, without their consent.
What do you think about the start-ups trying to clean the ocean? Do you think they should stay charity or investment funded or do you think it should take off with some gov. Funding whether it be local or federal?

Are we talking about dumping high-level radioactive waste into our rivers? ... of course corporations have a responsibility to dispose of these extremely dangerous materials in an environmentally friendly way ... and we have laws and regulations to control these practices ... we had chemical companies just dumping their toxic crap into Love Canal, cover it with dirt, and then build a residential neighborhood on top ...

Of course these rules are helpful ... and make a considerable positive impact on both nature and our communities ... the rivers that flow through Cleveland, Ohio haven't caught fire in decades ... thick choking layers of smog in the US's cities are a thing of the past ... kids today don't remember tap water smelling of benzene ... asbestos in public school classrooms is all gone now ...

At the other extreme are many many cities who went to all the time and expense to put used oil dump pits along all the city streets just to prohibit dumping used oil down them now ... fricking morons ... fill them full of concrete if you don't want them open ... just a big hassle that doesn't do anyone any good at all ... just feel good lazy liberalism with too much LSD on hand ...

The best way to keep the Earth green is to stop laying down asphalt and concrete ... duh ... conserve ... recycle ... quit breeding ...
Radioactive waste, Garbage disposal, leftovers from steelmaking, anything you think should be highlighted I am willing to hear about and talk about. How do you feel about the C0@ taxes and the filters for C02 related production?

What do you think about the start-ups trying to clean the ocean? Do you think they should stay charity or investment funded or do you think it should take off with some gov. Funding whether it be local or federal?
I do not see it self generating to be profitable. charity is all well and good and a worthy donation, but undependable in the long run. I do not see it being effective with governments. Where the concentrations of floating debris are withing 50 miles of a coastline, that government should take the lead on funding and over-site. I believe we have one of these floating islands of garbage off our northwest coastline, which has debris that has traveled by ocean current all the way from Asia and Japan (not just our own), including radio active contaminated material from the melt down on the coast of japan.

Radioactive waste, Garbage disposal, leftovers from steelmaking, anything you think should be highlighted I am willing to hear about and talk about. How do you feel about the C0@ taxes and the filters for C02 related production?

I think carbon taxes are useless ... the idea is to inflate the costs of burning fossil fuels so people will turn to renewables ... but we've already turned that corner ... now it's the process of including renewables into our infrastructure upgrades ... and we have plenty of time, any realistic problems with CO2 emissions is a century out, or longer ... if at all ... plus over the next 100 years, these fossil fuels are going to be getting expensive, while renewables continue to get cheaper ... no new taxes, let the free market do what it does best ...

We already have an abundance of CO2 filters ... they're called "plants" ... you asked about "greening the Earth" and these carbon emissions are doing just that ... life thrives with higher levels of atmospheric carbon ... set the well heads afire folks, spew that carbon dioxide ...

I do not see it self generating to be profitable. charity is all well and good and a worthy donation, but undependable in the long run. I do not see it being effective with governments. Where the concentrations of floating debris are withing 50 miles of a coastline, that government should take the lead on funding and over-site. I believe we have one of these floating islands of garbage off our northwest coastline, which has debris that has traveled by ocean current all the way from Asia and Japan (not just our own), including radio active contaminated material from the melt down on the coast of japan.
I agree that is not just the US. Do you believe the US should attempt to broker a deal with some other nations across from us in a joint effort to clean up the trash formations surrounding us?

I think carbon taxes are useless ... the idea is to inflate the costs of burning fossil fuels so people will turn to renewables ... but we've already turned that corner ... now it's the process of including renewables into our infrastructure upgrades ... and we have plenty of time, any realistic problems with CO2 emissions is a century out, or longer ... if at all ... plus over the next 100 years, these fossil fuels are going to be getting expensive, while renewables continue to get cheaper ... no new taxes, let the free market do what it does best ...

We already have an abundance of CO2 filters ... they're called "plants" ... you asked about "greening the Earth" and these carbon emissions are doing just that ... life thrives with higher levels of atmospheric carbon ... set the well heads afire folks, spew that carbon dioxide ...
The analysis of economics inside of the energy market. Also, that those taxes would mainly lead to just making it cost more even if it is to incentivize a switch. However, I am confused about the C02 part. How do you think we should work on the Ozone layer that is currently letting in more solar radiation than ever before? ...unless you count when there wasn't an atmosphere of course. I don't understand the plant part exactly I know they live off carbon dioxide but science in fossilization has shown that the more oxygenated an atmosphere the larger and stronger its inhabitants become. You may mean something entirely different than the deadly gas being better for the environment I just wanted to ask for clarification so I knew your whole point without speculation.

QUESTION: "What do you believe to be the biggest issue with keeping our planet green?"

ANSWER: Propaganda issued by those who profit from polluting, and ignorance by those consumers of energy who believe their propaganda.

when there are billions of people trashing the planet the efforts of a few million won't make a dent but that in no way means their efforts are worthless.

Personally I am working towards not using any type of products that come in single use plastic.

It might not make a dent but at least I'll know I'm not adding to the trash pile that will take us over eventually

QUESTION: "What do you believe to be the biggest issue with keeping our planet green?"

ANSWER: Propaganda issued by those who profit from polluting, and ignorance by those consumers of energy who believe their propaganda.
Any theories on stopping that corruptive power?

I agree that is not just the US. Do you believe the US should attempt to broker a deal with some other nations across from us in a joint effort to clean up the trash formations surrounding us?
Would be good, if our government is ever trusted in a leadership role in the world again. If I were foreign governments, I would be leery of agreements with us. It took less than 4 years to show definitively, we cannot be counted upon. Who knows? We could be in or be going into endless political cycles of governmental cancel culture based solely on party in power, canceling for canceling sake. Unfortunate, but the state of play has to be taken into account by all parties involved.

when there are billions of people trashing the planet the efforts of a few million won't make a dent but that in no way means their efforts are worthless.

Personally I am working towards not using any type of products that come in single use plastic.

It might not make a dent but at least I'll know I'm not adding to the trash pile that will take us over eventually
That is a really positive outlook

Would be good, if our government is ever trusted in a leadership role in the world again. If I were foreign governments, I would be leery of agreements with us. It took less than 4 years to show definitively, we cannot be counted upon. Who knows? We could be in or be going into endless political cycles of governmental cancel culture based solely on party in power, canceling for canceling sake. Unfortunate, but the state of play has to be taken into account by all parties involved.
Yeah due to our most recent actions of leaving things in the dust though we said we supported it I would imagine it would be hard to find allies in anything that didn't involve big guns.

Plastic is problematic. There really isn't a better solution at this point in time. It would be great if things like straws could be made biodegradable, but I don't see that as having much hope thus far.

Short of that, we simply have ban disposable plastic use.

CO2 is a nothing burger. Bunch of bad science pushed by ignorant people.

Companies hit with CO2 tax or regulations, will simply put that company at a disadvantage to countries without the tax. You might as well, move to China, because that's the only place that will have jobs when the Chinese companies unburdened by stupid taxes, are the only employers left.

Any theories on stopping that corruptive power?

Sure, the power to tax, is the power to destroy. But, that too is not a panacea, since the consequences would produce high unemployment. The use of incentives - in terms of cost benefits and cost deficits - need to be considered in any mass change in our energy sources.

The pendulum had swung for green energy development up until Trump; now it can and must be a priority of the Biden era. The new administration has a trifecta of problems, the pandemic, the economy and climate change along with all the other fuck ups left by trump, his family and his cronies.

Azar resigned, too little, too late. He needs to be investigated by the congress for misleading the public as well as all the others who managed (so to speak) Operation Warp Speed.

Some kids find straws exciting but really do adults need them?

It would help if Americans stop buying massive sized homes, stop buying two story homes, stop buying conventional homes that are economically and environmentally wasteful.

Better to have full basement homes, I lived in one for 12 years, the basement was never above 70 degrees and that in a hot summer climate, never below 65 in the winter, no heating or cooling system used.

Better to use building designs that would immediately reduce power consumption 50% or more, incorporate long known passive heating concepts and build them.

Passive Solar Heating

I have been in such homes, visited one near Goldendale about 1980, it was fall time yet the home was still warm despite a foggy day.

Hawkweed Passive Solar House Book Paperback

Worth considering purchase, I bought mine in 1981. A nice introductory book.

Passive heating/cooling underground duct system

Earth Berm homes, my uncle had one built for his retirement home in cold southern Colorado, was easy and cheap to keep it warm.

Belvedere designs.

Veranda fronting of homes

Modern homes are energy hogs, wasteful space, boring and expensive!

How come Ecoloonies don't push these obvious easy to build power and material waste solutions?

Last edited:

Plastic is problematic. There really isn't a better solution at this point in time. It would be great if things like straws could be made biodegradable, but I don't see that as having much hope thus far.

Short of that, we simply have ban disposable plastic use.

CO2 is a nothing burger. Bunch of bad science pushed by ignorant people.

Companies hit with CO2 tax or regulations, will simply put that company at a disadvantage to countries without the tax. You might as well, move to China, because that's the only place that will have jobs when the Chinese companies unburdened by stupid taxes, are the only employers left.
I take it you don't believe the C02 and ozone stuff then? Just curious as to why.

Some kids find straws exciting but really do adults need them?

It would help if Americans stop buying massive sized homes, stop buying two story homes, stop buying conventional homes that are economically and environmentally wasteful.

Better to have full basement homes, I lived in one for 12 years, the basement was never above 70 degrees and that in a hot summer climate, never below 65 in the winter, no heating or cooling system used.

Better to use building designs that would immediately reduce power consumption 50% or more, incorporate long known passive heating concepts and build them.

Passive Solar Heating

I have been in such homes, visited one near Goldendale about 1980, it was fall time yet the home was still warm despite a foggy day.

Hawkweed Passive Solar House Book Paperback

Worth considering purchase, I bought mine in 1981. A nice introductory book.

Passive heating/cooling underground duct system

Earth Berm homes, my uncle had one built for as his retirement home in cold southern Colorado, was easy and cheap to keep it warm.

Belvedere designs.

Veranda fronting of homes

Modern homes are energy hogs, wasteful space, boring and expensive!

How come Ecoloonies don't push these obvious easy to build power and material waste solutions?
I did not know about those housing designs and they are quite fascinating.

Forum List

Back