Hurricane Force Winds over the Plains

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
I was listening the farm report today, and the reporter said there was a system moving toward Chicago with sustained winds that were classified as Hurricane force winds. Most times around 50mph. . . but at times reaching 70 to 80mph.

I thought that was sort of interesting.

We live in some river valleys, and it can get pretty windy down in here, 35 to 40 at times. . . I can't imagine, living inland, away from the sea, having to deal with that.

Last edited:
I was listening the farm report today, and the reporter said there was a system moving toward Chicago with sustained winds that were classified as Hurricane force winds. Most times around 50mph. . . but at times reaching 70 to 80mph.

We live in some river valleys, and it can get pretty windy down in here, 35 to 40 at times. . . I can't imagine, living inland, away from the sea, having to deal with that.

Has anybody blamed Trump yet?

6 years ago up in Manassas Va, we had 70 mph winds sweep through the neighborhood. as they say, "shit happens", get over it, time to move on.

All lies ...

Just the stupidity of people ... hurricane force winds are 73 mph or higher ... as of right now, the NWS has gusts to 65 mph under their High Wind Warning in Nebraska and Kansas ... nothing higher ... why do the commercial media say such things, why do people swallow these lies ...

Lies about climate, lies about weather, lies about science ... citation after citation in the OP of bald-faced lies ... why are you so anti-science? ...

ETA: Oregon headlands get 100 mph winds every five years on average ... the wind gauge on the bridge in Newport will cut the speed limit there to 35 mph when the winds get that high ... 65 mph on the plains is totally pussy ...

All lies ...

Just the stupidity of people ... hurricane force winds are 73 mph or higher ... as of right now, the NWS has gusts to 65 mph under their High Wind Warning in Nebraska and Kansas ... nothing higher ... why do the commercial media say such things, why do people swallow these lies ...

Lies about climate, lies about weather, lies about science ... citation after citation in the OP of bald-faced lies ... why are you so anti-science? ...

. . .. well, sorry.

I didn't mean to ruin your day.

I guess I'll just stop posting here.

Trump!

Yup, when the wind is that strong, it doesn't scream, it growls. Heard it in Hurricane Gloria, heard it a couple times in upstate New York--storms coming across the flatlands from Lake Erie. It sounds like the rumble of a jet approaching. If you hear it, get away from the windows.

I grew up in the south west corner of the Oklahoma / Texas border.
Out in the rural areas during high winds you'll see plenty of large tumbleweeds rolling across the plains. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Is it fair or even honest to refer to 75mph winter storm gusts as "hurricane force"? Pop weather data is about extremes. If they don't have the extremes they will create them. Tune in after the commercial.

New Topics

Forum List

Back