Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
CO2 Now | CO2 Home

Measuring Location:
Mauna Loa Observatory, Hawaii

Why is CO2 significant?
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the chief greenhouse gas that results from human activities and causes global warming and climate change. To see whether enough is being done at the moment to solve these global problems, there is no single indicator as complete and current as the monthly updates for atmospheric CO2 from the Mauna Loa Observatory.

What is the current trend?
The concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere are increasing at an accelerating rate from decade to decade. The latest atmospheric CO2 data is consistent with a continuation of this long-standing trend.

What level is safe?
The upper safety limit for atmospheric CO2 is 350 parts per million (ppm). Atmospheric CO2 levels have stayed higher than 350 ppm since early 1988.

And increasing delta v, and we are already in the danger zone.

Pictures: America's Ten Most Dangerous Volcanoes

most-dangerous-volcanoes-united-states-mauna-loa-hawaii_20367_600x450.jpg

8. Mauna Loa Volcano, Hawaii
Photograph by Bill Curtsinger, National Geographic

The largest volcano on Earth, Hawaii's Mauna Loa has erupted 33 times since its first documented eruption in 1843, but has been relatively quiet since 1984. (Video: Hawaii's Mauna Loa.)

Mauna Loa's general ooziness is due largely to the fact that "the Pacific crust is sinking down below the continents," the USGS's Eichelberger said. "That introduces a lot of water into the hot area of the mantle, which causes melting—and then you get volcanoes."

Mauna Loa is a very nice place to measure co2, active volcanos are no different in levels of co2 then places like a corn field in the middle of Iowa, it does not take a scientist to know this.

thanks Old Crock!

Last edited:
This graph just goes to 2006, but shows the rapid increase from 1979 to 2006. And the delta v is still increasing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jvP7BqVi4&feature=player_embedded]gv06-iPhone.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

There are hundreds of stations scattered across 66 nations that monitor CO2. All are showing rapid increase.

Hey Old Rocks, can you show us the lab experiments that correlate changes in CO2 measured in PPM against changes in temperature?

Most of the atmospheres co2 comes from active volcanoes, like this one that Crock points out to us reads very high levels of co2.

Oh, so most of the CO2 comes from volcanoes.

Thank God, I thought I was going to be forced to stop using my SodaStream.

The DOT has already labelled the carbonators, toxic and hazardous, making them difficult to get at times.

Hurray for CO2!

This year has not been a normal year in Florida. Usually by now it is so dry here that the water levels are very low and the brush is so dry that there are typically two to three fires burning.

There has been quite a bit of rain and so far no fires. I don't think I can recall a time when there were no fires.

Thanks climate change!

CO2 is plant food.

And WATER is a far more abundant Greenhouse Gas than is CO2.

Perhaps we should ban water.

CO2 is plant food.

And WATER is a far more abundant Greenhouse Gas than is CO2.

Perhaps we should ban water.

Water vapor is a short term "gas" within the atmosphere. It doesn't compound such as co2 as the process of returning it to the earth is totally different. In fact, as you warm up the planet = the only way more h2o is added to our atmosphere.

It takes hundreds if not thousands of years for co2 to rock weather into the earth. So when a seasonal tree leaf(why co2 levels increase and decrease) takes in co2 it is only short term. When it goes into the oceans = only short to mid term. Water vapor can go into the atmosphere and remains in balance with the temperature!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back