In-n-Out Burger is way overrated

To tell you the truth, for a long time, the best burgers in Amarillo were at a biker bar called Boondocks. They were 1/3 lb burgers and were dusted with the owner's own secret concoction called "Bear Dirt". He never let anyone know what the ingredients were or how he made it, but that stuff made the burgers outstanding.

The best burger on his menu was his Bacon Blue Cheese burger.
The first review makes the place sound pretty awesome: Boondocks Bar & Grill - CLOSED - Amarillo, TX

To tell you the truth, for a long time, the best burgers in Amarillo were at a biker bar called Boondocks. They were 1/3 lb burgers and were dusted with the owner's own secret concoction called "Bear Dirt". He never let anyone know what the ingredients were or how he made it, but that stuff made the burgers outstanding.

The best burger on his menu was his Bacon Blue Cheese burger.
The first review makes the place sound pretty awesome: Boondocks Bar & Grill - CLOSED - Amarillo, TX

It was pretty awesome. And yeah, I was one of the waitstaff that they liked. Matter of fact, had a dude named Red who owned another biker bar across town called Grizzly's, and he told me that he hated it when I was working at Boondocks, because people would leave there to come get a burger that I cooked.

Was known as "Squid" when I worked the bar. Was there from 2000 until late 2004.

Portillo’s is one of the best but why go to a franchise when there are countless mom and pop sandwich shops to try out and find one that is even better than Portillo’s?

I used to be a ittelien beef monster, I must have to went to every damn hot dog stand in my life up in the northwest Chicago to find the perfect ond, Mr. Beefs good, but I found this one joint in o'hare airport that served 5 thumbs up ittelien beef sandwiches..

There used to be this hot dog joint on river road near the thirsty whale that had the best home made potato salad anywhere I could find in Chicago.
Part of the fun in a city the size of Chicago is finding all the little tucked away dives. Some are impossible to find unless someone shows you.

Portillo’s is one of the best but why go to a franchise when there are countless mom and pop sandwich shops to try out and find one that is even better than Portillo’s?

I used to be a ittelien beef monster, I must have to went to every damn hot dog stand in my life up in the northwest Chicago to find the perfect ond, Mr. Beefs good, but I found this one joint in o'hare airport that served 5 thumbs up ittelien beef sandwiches..

There used to be this hot dog joint on river road near the thirsty whale that had the best home made potato salad anywhere I could find in Chicago.
Part of the fun in a city the size of Chicago is finding all the little tucked away dives. Some are impossible to find unless someone shows you.

Or word of mouth , when I lived in the phenoix area I was so happy to find little Chicago style hotdog places, you can't find them where I live in south Carolina..

I do love me a good burger.

But holy crap, this burger thing has gone over the top. Have you seen the shows on the Food Network where they make these MASSIVE burgers with 50 ingredients and they're about two feet high?

HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO EAT THE DAMN THINGS
b746e1f3704bdb0dd2ddeebb51daf0e3.jpg

You eat them like you would eat an elephant - one bite at a time!

We just got down here the cook out a small chain I guess? Not bad and cheap like $6 bucks for a hamburger, fries and a coke, I think there is a 5 guys about 20 minutes away never been there before though.

Or word of mouth , when I lived in the phenoix area I was so happy to find little Chicago style hotdog places, you can't find them where I live in south Carolina..
To build a skyscraper you have to dig a deep hole so there are 3 levels of streets under the surface streets. All the loading docks are down there with 10s of thousands of workers. The union guys get their food delivered as part of their contract. That may be how Subway started.

WRONG!

Five Guys wishes they were In-N-Out.

Cook Out blows donkeys.

Steak and Shake sucks.

Smashburger is pretty good.

All of you who have been running down In-N-Out have been REPORTED!

Lock this thread!

Thank you drive through...

I still think that Krystal hamburgers are the way to go if you're looking to eat something tasty and cheap. Dunno why, but I loved those little burgers.

And, their fries weren't half bad either.

WRONG!

Cook Out blows donkeys.

Steak and Shake sucks.

Lock this thread!

Steak and Shake ain't bad compared to the alternatives. I'd wait in line to get in.. In fact, you pretty much have to. But they aren't called Steak and Shake and Fries for a reason..

WRONG!

Cook Out blows donkeys.

Steak and Shake sucks.

Lock this thread!

Steak and Shake ain't bad compared to the alternatives. I'd wait in line to get in.. In fact, you pretty much have to. But they aren't called Steak and Shake and Fries for a reason..

I had eaten at Steak and Shakes all over the eastern half of this nation until I gave up. Why is it the only restaurant chain with consistently horrible service? If you want to eat there. you had better plan on an hour and a half!

When I was stoned and in college I went there and loved the burgers. I was just in PHX and to my surprise they were everywhere. I stopped in and wasn’t impressed. They were better than McDonald’s, but not by much. The fries are god awful. The prices are good though. Not sure all the hype.

The burgers aren’t as good (or even close) as 5 guys, EPIC burger or smash burger (I will admit I have only eaten at each one of these places once, but I remember them being pretty damn good).

When you think of iconic fast food few can ever live up to the hype. The only ones that comes to mind are Portillo’s (trust me if you are in Chicago get the Beef and chopped salad) and Chicken Hut (one location grilled chicken joynt in chi town).

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last time I went to one, they were cutting their OWN fries from real potatoes. Not reconstituted potato mix. MAYBE --- you just don't know what REAL fried potatoes are SUPPOSED to taste like.. :biggrin:

Doesn’t matter, the fries are horribly bland and tasteless!

I like In-N-Out burgers, but I wouldn't stand in a really long line to get one.

Smashburger is OK. I really like their chicken sandwiches. They're better than their hamburgers.

Burger-Fi is awesome.

So is Shake Shack.

And I really like 5 Guys. I can make a Teenburger like they make at A&W in Canada, which is the best.

Fuddruckers is really good, too.

Ted's Montana Grill makes awesome burgers, but they're expensive.

Ted’s is awesome, but that is not fast food

WRONG!

Cook Out blows donkeys.

Steak and Shake sucks.

Lock this thread!

In-n-Out does a very good job of imitating McDonald’s burgers and fries :thup:

Because we were talking about chains. In chi town you have wiener circle, Bryons, Chicago Dog House etc, but not sure any are better than Portillos. Portillos started as a mom and pop FYI.

When I was stoned and in college I went there and loved the burgers. I was just in PHX and to my surprise they were everywhere. I stopped in and wasn’t impressed. They were better than McDonald’s, but not by much. The fries are god awful. The prices are good though. Not sure all the hype.

The burgers aren’t as good (or even close) as 5 guys, EPIC burger or smash burger (I will admit I have only eaten at each one of these places once, but I remember them being pretty damn good).

When you think of iconic fast food few can ever live up to the hype. The only ones that comes to mind are Portillo’s (trust me if you are in Chicago get the Beef and chopped salad) and Chicken Hut (one location grilled chicken joynt in chi town).

Last time I went to one, they were cutting their OWN fries from real potatoes. Not reconstituted potato mix. MAYBE --- you just don't know what REAL fried potatoes are SUPPOSED to taste like.. :biggrin:

That's because they're pure unadulterated, unprocessed potatoes... Just sliced, fried and salted. THAT is what makes them great. Didn't come out of a chemical experiment in huge factories as frozen FrankenFries.

That's because they're pure unadulterated, unprocessed potatoes... Just sliced, fried and salted. THAT is what makes them great. Didn't come out of a chemical experiment in huge factories as frozen FrankenFries.
Didn’t come out trying to taste particularly good either :badgrin:

Get them animal style. That will make up for the shortcomings. A little bit.

Bet you ask for EXTRA MSG on your Chinese take-out too... :poke:

Bet you ask for EXTRA MSG on your Chinese take-out too... :poke:
If I went to a Panda Express copycat and thought the food was crap... maybe. (yes, I'm saying In-n-Out is a copycat with crap food
badgrin.gif
)

Forum List

Back