Impact of Free Speech

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Does free speech actually improve society or does it just give us more opportunities to divide ourselves against each other?

Hurting feelings because you disagree with cancer research isn’t necessary speech.

Maybe you think public education is an item pulled straight from the Communist Manifesto. Is this important to say to a public school teacher?

I can think of lots of examples that when people talk others cry. Is the purpose of society to maximize crying and pain? If not, shouldn’t we put some limits on free speech or possibly abandon the concept altogether?

Does free speech actually improve society or does it just give us more opportunities to divide ourselves against each other?

Hurting feelings because you disagree with cancer research isn’t necessary speech.

Maybe you think public education is an item pulled straight from the Communist Manifesto. Is this important to say to a public school teacher?

I can think of lots of examples that when people talk others cry. Is the purpose of society to maximize crying and pain? If not, shouldn’t we put some limits on free speech or possibly abandon the concept altogether?

When what you are saying isn't valid because of that right? That is you can discuss and even challenge free speech because that very freedom gives you that right.

Free speech is a fundamental right as such no one should be able to limit it or for that matter choose to abandon it. It is not our only right as we also have a right not to be vilified, to be slandered, or libeled, and free speech and the right to not be vilified can co-exist if there are the anti-vilification laws, (libel and slander).

Excellent Brandon talking point. Yes. I can see it now. Let’s stomp on some of that dangerous “free speech” thing. Fuck the First Amendment.

In the future people will talk (guardedly) about that the notion about “free speech.” They will note that, historically, the valiant effort to stamp it out began when the intelligent ones got the wedge into it.

“We’re only seeking to put reasonable limitations on free speech ….”

This post was given provisional and limited approval for publication by the United States Department of Homeland Correct Think. “Think before you speak, then don’t.”

Excellent Brandon talking point. Yes. I can see it now. Let’s stomp on some of that dangerous “free speech” thing. Fuck the First Amendment.

In the future people will talk (guardedly) about that the notion about “free speech.” They will note that, historically, the valiant effort to stamp it out began when the intelligent ones got the wedge into it.

“We’re only seeking to put reasonable limitations on free speech ….”

This post was given provisional and limited approval for publication by the United States Department of Homeland Correct Think. “Think before you speak, then don’t.”
Whoa Whoa.. let's back up a second and realize the historical context of "Free speech"

Before the 1st Amendment, if you lived in England... if you wrote a column criticizing the King's actions, you could be arrested and probably killed, legally.

The First amendment gives the right for speech, but doesn't allow people the right to not be offended by speech. That's the confusion today. People think "free speech" means they have the right to not be exposed to ideas/statements that they don't agree with. Nope.

Whoa Whoa.. let's back up a second and realize the historical context of "Free speech"

Before the 1st Amendment, if you lived in England... if you wrote a column criticizing the King's actions, you could be arrested and probably killed, legally.

The First amendment gives the right for speech, but doesn't allow people the right to not be offended by speech. That's the confusion today. People think "free speech" means they have the right to not be exposed to ideas/statements that they don't agree with. Nope.
Sure. But in the future, thanks to foresightful statesmen like our beloved albeit demented President Brandon, yiur ability to speak at all will Be provisionally allowed if it is pre-screened by trust officials. See? They take the risk out of free speech for the speaker and for the audience.

We already have limits on free speech

We don't need more

Where is it written that you have a right not to get your feelings hurt?

We already have limits on free speech

We don't need more

Where is it written that you have a right not to get your feelings hurt?

I’m just curious what free speech is. If one type of speech can be outlawed then that opens the flood gates for all kinds of speech to be outlawed. Is freedom of speech a myth, an unrealistic principle, or something that actually exists?

I’m just curious what free speech is. If one type of speech can be outlawed then that opens the flood gates for all kinds of speech to be outlawed. Is freedom of speech a myth, an unrealistic principle, or something that actually exists?
Freedom of speech is a fundamental right because it allows us to express our beliefs, politics, religion, etc. It is not the only right we have though. We have a right not to be vilified, slandered, or libeled. We need to be careful of what we say in a public place because of course it is frequented by members of the public. Likewise careful of what we say in places that are made public, this forum for example. What we shouldn't have to put up with is privately owned companies dictating what we can or can't say on websites that are in the public domain, Twitter etc.

It depends on whether you have a liberal mindset or not.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right because it allows us to express our beliefs, politics, religion, etc. It is not the only right we have though. We have a right not to be vilified, slandered, or libeled. We need to be careful of what we say in a public place because of course it is frequented by members of the public. Likewise careful of what we say in places that are made public, this forum for example. What we shouldn't have to put up with is privately owned companies dictating what we can or can't say on websites that are in the public domain, Twitter etc.
You sound like a "semi-fascist". :p

The only limits we have on free speech that I am currently aware of involve libel or public safety issues like inciting a riot.

What are examples of speech that has been banned by the government?

The only limits we have on free speech that I am currently aware of involve libel or public safety issues like inciting a riot.

What are examples of speech that has been banned by the government?
It's the Left that is set to cut out the conservative's tongue. It's the Left that will decide all governments in the future. The Left increasingly will have control of the media. Our right to free speech is set to be terminated and there is very little we can do to about it. Censorship of everything perceived as harsh will follow, the male himself eventually completely silenced. Our X chromosomes are deciding these things, emotionality stronger than rationality, actually made worse by those on the Right who believe they can vilify whoever they want, an action guaranteed to backfire and work in favor of the Left.

It's the Left that is set to cut out the conservative's tongue. It's the Left that will decide all governments in the future. The Left increasingly will have control of the media. Our right to free speech is set to be terminated and there is very little we can do to about it. Censorship of everything perceived as harsh will follow, the male himself eventually completely silenced. Our X chromosomes are deciding these things, emotionality stronger than rationality, actually made worse by those on the Right who believe they can vilify whoever they want, an action guaranteed to backfire and work in favor of the Left.
So give me some examples of speech the government has banned

So give me some examples of speech the government has banned
If you are saying that as there are no examples of the government censoring free speech then there is no censorship. Then we might as well say that as we've never been attacked by a shark then we're never going to die.

If you are saying that as there are no examples of the government censoring free speech then there is no censorship. Then we might as well say that as we've never been attacked by a shark then we're never going to die.
Then it should be easy for you to list examples of speech the government has banned

Then it should be easy for you to list examples of speech the government has banned
"The White House and other federal agencies regularly communicated with social media companies such as Facebook about content moderation and censorship decisions, according to newly released documents."

"The White House and other federal agencies regularly communicated with social media companies such as Facebook about content moderation and censorship decisions, according to newly released documents."

Look none of that has any effect on your ability to say what you want.

You are not guaranteed an audience or a venue by the first amendment.

These social media sites are all privately owned. They have their own set of rules which you must agree to to post on their sites.

Even if you get banned from Twitter or wherever your free speech rights have not been violated because you can still post on other less restrictive sites. you can post your own blog, you can host your own website etc.

So there is no violation of the first amendment.

The government cannot compel any social media site to censor anyone

Look none of that has any effect on your ability to say what you want.

You are not guaranteed an audience or a venue by the first amendment.

These social media sites are all privately owned. They have their own set of rules which you must agree to to post on their sites.

Even if you get banned from Twitter or wherever your free speech rights have not been violated because you can still post on other less restrictive sites. you can post your own blog, you can host your own website etc.

So there is no violation of the first amendment.

The government cannot compel any social media site to censor anyone
Bullshit! I just posted proof of them doing so!

I mean they can't legally, but they damn sure did!

Last edited:
Soft living has shifted society to the left, and the media now dominated by younger people yet still in pursuit of revenue needs to follow. We are born naked, symbolizing our primal nature, freedom of speech is an acquired thing, not something we are born with. Young people will forgo those freedoms if it satisfies their emotions.

Forum List

Back