I'm a republican and all for capitalism but something isn't right here

Good, they don't need a football team. It's a school. Teach kids what they need to know to succeed in life. If the coach doesn't want to do it for the love of football, fuck it.
College football has evolved from walk-on students that simply like playing a game to be the minor league farm system for pro football. I don't think a minor football league would do so well if not affiliated with our universities. That being said, it's not the roll of universities to prop up the "minor league" for football. Looking on the other side, Universities do get a big cut when their team does well.

The highest paid state employee in my state is Dabo Swinney.

*Complaint because college coaches are bringing in millions of dollars in salary*

It's capitalism! Let the free market work!

*The athletes want to get paid for bringing in massive profits to some of these schools*

They're amateurs, they can't be paid! A scholarship is worth a lot, they already get enough!

:lol:

If the school football team wins a bowl, the school can make hundreds of millions in donations from happy alumni.

*Complaint because college coaches are bringing in millions of dollars in salary*

It's capitalism! Let the free market work!

*The athletes want to get paid for bringing in massive profits to some of these schools*

They're amateurs, they can't be paid! A scholarship is worth a lot, they already get enough!

:lol:
Some of these amateurs could earn much more than a scholarship if capitalism could be allowed to work for them. I recall Markus Lattimore who was the star running back for South Carolina just a few years ago. He didn't make it to the pro level due to knee injuries.

Some of these amateurs could earn much more than a scholarship if capitalism could be allowed to work for them. I recall Markus Lattimore who was the star running back for South Carolina just a few years ago. He didn't make it to the pro level due to knee injuries.

Yea he did.

Minimum wage?

Last I looked, a college degree in some of these prestigious schools is upwards of 60,000 per year. They are attending the college on a full-ride scholarship. So, they are getting the equivalent of 60k a year.

Inflation. The real costs are much less.

No, they don't get paid because by definition they are amateur athletes and can't get paid. Doesn't stop boosters from giving them cars and stuff, though. It's a vestige of the old system where they are supposed to compete for reasons other than getting paid. If we pay them, we might as well turn colleges into farm leagues for the majors, just like baseball has.

So, everybody else should make 7-8 figures, but not the players who are the people pay to see. Sounds like the typical employer who has fabricated some magical right to cheap or free labor.

They will now. Or at least some of them. All while still getting a free ride through college.
at least half of them have no business being in a college in the first place, but then that goes for most of the student body as well.

Baseball has minor leagues; no need to subsidize the gamblers and pro leagues' employment training via tax supported colleges and universities. All of those team owners can easily pay for their own employee training programs.

I was watching the news the other day about LSU getting rid of their head coach. He received a 17 MILLION DOLLAR buyout package for his remaining contract. They then went on to explain that the new coach signed a 10 year 95 MILLION DOLLAR contract. The tuition for in state for LSU is almost twelve thousand dollars! Out of state is almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Now I think that certainly the coach of a big school like this should make a hell of a living wage, but 17 million dollars to GET RID of a coach and 95 MILLION dollars for a new one I feel is a bit much. Meanwhile, you've got poor college students working 2 and 3 jobs trying to pay tuition so these 2 people can receive over 100 MILLION DOLLARS between them. For doing nothing more than coaching a football team, a team that is not necessary to the academic success of the school.

I went to college, I know how hard it is. This just isn't right to me. I'm sorry. Of course its not just LSU, it's all these major league colleges. And a degree from LSU won't make you any more money than one from a technical college where you are trained in a trade and can immediately go to work in that trade.

I mean how much could tuition be reduced for each student if coach O would have received 100,000 instead of 17 million and the new coach make 500,000 a year instead of 9.5 million?
Now you're beginning to get it.

Yeah, the duopoly isnt known for consistency. This isnt the least bit surprising.
If people were consistent, they wouldnt be a duopoly stooge.

Now you're beginning to get it.

I don't care what a private business pays its CEO or employees. But when it's a state college where students are killing themselves to pay for tuition for a degree that isn't worth its weight in the paper it's written on and they're in debt into 6 figures for this, I have a problem with paying a coach 8 figures to coach a game. I just do.

I was watching the news the other day about LSU getting rid of their head coach. He received a 17 MILLION DOLLAR buyout package for his remaining contract. They then went on to explain that the new coach signed a 10 year 95 MILLION DOLLAR contract. The tuition for in state for LSU is almost twelve thousand dollars! Out of state is almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Now I think that certainly the coach of a big school like this should make a hell of a living wage, but 17 million dollars to GET RID of a coach and 95 MILLION dollars for a new one I feel is a bit much. Meanwhile, you've got poor college students working 2 and 3 jobs trying to pay tuition so these 2 people can receive over 100 MILLION DOLLARS between them. For doing nothing more than coaching a football team, a team that is not necessary to the academic success of the school.

I went to college, I know how hard it is. This just isn't right to me. I'm sorry. Of course its not just LSU, it's all these major league colleges. And a degree from LSU won't make you any more money than one from a technical college where you are trained in a trade and can immediately go to work in that trade.

I mean how much could tuition be reduced for each student if coach O would have received 100,000 instead of 17 million and the new coach make 500,000 a year instead of 9.5 million?

If they did that, tuition for each student would be reduced by $0.00

at least half of them have no business being in a college in the first place, but then that goes for most of the student body as well.

It's really bad when people place their insecurities on others like you are doing here. You are some random poster on the internet which gives you no special insight on who should be in college and who shouldn't.

Baseball has minor leagues; no need to subsidize the gamblers and pro leagues' employment training via tax supported colleges and universities. All of those team owners can easily pay for their own employee training programs.

Even though baseball has minor leagues they still have baseball teams. The extra curricular aspects of college are and will still be an important aspect of an education.

I don't care what a private business pays its CEO or employees. But when it's a state college where students are killing themselves to pay for tuition for a degree that isn't worth its weight in the paper it's written on and they're in debt into 6 figures for this, I have a problem with paying a coach 8 figures to coach a game. I just do.

Teachers, doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc, etc, etc, derive no benefit from their degree?

It's really bad when people place their insecurities on others like you are doing here

lol at the obvious projection. How many of those 'athletes' do you think actually passed and entrance exam, or even made it out of Jr High legitimately?

How many links to reports over the last 5 decades do you need as 'proof'? You're really too stupid to run around making up strawmen in attempts to cover up your own ignorance of the topic.

Last edited:
Because they're awesome ...

View attachment 574021
Yes they are!

1639154366854.png

Forum List

Back