I'm a republican and all for capitalism but something isn't right here

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I was watching the news the other day about LSU getting rid of their head coach. He received a 17 MILLION DOLLAR buyout package for his remaining contract. They then went on to explain that the new coach signed a 10 year 95 MILLION DOLLAR contract. The tuition for in state for LSU is almost twelve thousand dollars! Out of state is almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Now I think that certainly the coach of a big school like this should make a hell of a living wage, but 17 million dollars to GET RID of a coach and 95 MILLION dollars for a new one I feel is a bit much. Meanwhile, you've got poor college students working 2 and 3 jobs trying to pay tuition so these 2 people can receive over 100 MILLION DOLLARS between them. For doing nothing more than coaching a football team, a team that is not necessary to the academic success of the school.

I went to college, I know how hard it is. This just isn't right to me. I'm sorry. Of course its not just LSU, it's all these major league colleges. And a degree from LSU won't make you any more money than one from a technical college where you are trained in a trade and can immediately go to work in that trade.

I mean how much could tuition be reduced for each student if coach O would have received 100,000 instead of 17 million and the new coach make 500,000 a year instead of 9.5 million?

Last edited:
I've argued that a college football coach is no more important than the professor that helps the college create new doctors. Entertainment is important but it's not more important than life itself.

We attend football games where my daughter goes to college. Tickets are still $5 but we get in free because my daughter is in the band. I find the games every bit as entertaining as those where tickets can go for $100's of dollars.

I've argued that a college football coach is no more important than the professor that helps the college create new doctors. Entertainment is important but it's not more important than life itself.

We attend football games where my daughter goes to college. Tickets are still $5 but we get in free because my daughter is in the band. I find the games every bit as entertaining as those where tickets can go for $100's of dollars.
The tickets go for more because of demand. Popular games that make a lot of money will find the expertise of winning coaches very valuable. Also don't underestimate how useful a good coach really is to the team.

The tickets go for more because of demand. Popular games that make a lot of money will find the expertise of winning coaches very valuable. Also don't underestimate how useful a good coach really is to the team.

I never said a good coach is not useful. They are still supposed to be teaching. Teaching a kid how to handle pressure is important but not more important than how to remove an appendix.

I never said a good coach is not useful. They are still supposed to be teaching. Teaching a kid how to handle pressure is important but not more important than how to remove an appendix.
How do you tell the market that coaches shouldn't make so much? Money talks and so does the right skill and experience. This is the system.

For doing nothing more than coaching a football team,

If coaches are getting that much money, it's because LSU is making a hell of a lot more off their football program.

A lot of money that gets plowed back into academic programs and scholarships that don't make money for the university .

But... the football program only makes money if they win. Having the right coach is vital for that and that kind of talent costs money.

If you don't believe me, you can offer to coach the team for $1 a year and see if they don't jump at your offer.

Don't be too upset if they reject your off to save them $100 million.

I was watching the news the other day about LSU getting rid of their head coach. He received a 17 MILLION DOLLAR buyout package for his remaining contract. They then went on to explain that the new coach signed a 10 year 95 MILLION DOLLAR contract. The tuition for in state for LSU is almost twelve thousand dollars! Out of state is almost THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Now I think that certainly the coach of a big school like this should make a hell of a living wage, but 17 million dollars to GET RID of a coach and 95 MILLION dollars for a new one I feel is a bit much. Meanwhile, you've got poor college students working 2 and 3 jobs trying to pay tuition so these 2 people can receive over 100 MILLION DOLLARS between them. For doing nothing more than coaching a football team, a team that is not necessary to the academic success of the school.

I went to college, I know how hard it is. This just isn't right to me. I'm sorry.

Same with Texas. I high school coach in a small town of maybe 3,000 was getting an $80,000 a year salary plus bennies bck in the 1970's; it's a really big and affluent town now, so they must be paying id 6 figures by now. And, this doesn't count the 'perks' and money under the table from gamblers and others. Organized Sports is all about gambling, not teaching, character, or anything else.

If coaches are getting that much money, it's because LSU is making a hell of a lot more off their football program.

A lot of money that gets plowed back into academic programs and scholarships that don't make money for the university .

But... the football program only makes money if they win. Having the right coach is vital for that and that kind of talent costs money.

If you don't believe me, you can offer to coach the team for $1 a year and see if they don't jump at your offer.

Don't be too upset if they reject your off to save them $100 million.
This is free market economics at work. Nobody really has the right to tell the people paying how much that coach is or isn't worth.

How do you tell the market that coaches shouldn't make so much? Money talks and so does the right skill and experience. This is the system.

I do it by not attending. I understand that in the big picture will change nothing.

They will now. Or at least some of them. All while still getting a free ride through college.
They get lots of perks. Also college football is basically an internship for the NFL if you're good. The players are there because they want to be. They accept the terms.

Free market baby!

They get lots of perks. Also college football is basically an internship for the NFL if you're good. The players are there because they want to be. They accept the terms.

Free market baby!

They didn't accept the terms. It's why they sued to be allowed to make money.

They didn't accept the terms. It's why they sued to be allowed to make money.
Yes they did. Otherwise they would not be on the field playing. If they want to bargain over their value that is acceptable too.

They didn't "bargain", They sued.
They're allowed to want and think they deserve more. They still want to and choose to play for the team despite everything though. They did accept the current terms.

Anyway, the coach pay is fine. They get paid that much because they're worth that much.

Last edited:
I find it appalling that the right-leaning continue to support, and I mean enthusiastically, college sports.

They are pumping huge sums of money to the very institutions that serve as leftist indoctrination centers for our young men and women.

Sorry I know that it that sounds like mere virtue-signaling but I just don't get it.....Then there is the transgender issue.

1,000 colleges and universities, do not require gender confirming surgery or legal recognition of a player's transitioned sex in order for transgender players to participate on a team which matches their identity.

I swear, the bottom is out of the bucket and the right-leaning are just as guilty as the left. :eusa_wall:

Forum List

Back