Illinois Supreme Court upholds law eliminating cash bail, sets Sept. 18 as start date for new system

Do the crime and get out of jail free... What a country.

Well the problem is, with cash bail, our bail system is set up for poor people to rot in jail for minor offenses while the rich can bond out for major violent crimes without any problems.

I'm for TRYING this to see how it will work. I think it might need some tweaking down the line, but I agree. If one person shoplifts and gets a 500 dollar bond and posts it and gets out and another person who is poor gets the same charge, same bond and has to rot in jail for months awaiting trial, that's not a fair system. That's not how bond was originally supposed to be used. Instead of "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" its now "If you can't afford the bond, don't do the crime." Some people CAN afford it, easily, and commit crimes and get right back out again.

So if someone is poor and can't post a bond for a shoplifting charge and has to sit in jail for months, is that really protecting society more than the rich guy who assaulted his wife and kids and made bond without issue the same day? Whether or not you post a cash bond doesn't protect society, so why have it? The ones not posting bond and sitting in jail aren't the most dangerous, they are the most poor. That makes for a two tier system of justice, where freedom comes to those who can buy it. And that is just not right.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back