Illinois Supreme Court upholds law eliminating cash bail, sets Sept. 18 as start date for new system

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The Illinois Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for the state to become the first in the nation to eliminate cash bail for criminal defendants awaiting trial, rejecting arguments from county prosecutors that the law violates the state constitution.

The 5-2 decision was split along party lines, with the two Republican justices, David Overstreet and Lisa Holder White, dissenting.
Eliminating cash bail creates a system “commensurate with that balance,” the court ruled.
The justices gave trial courts 60 days to prepare for the new rules, with cash bail to be eliminated Sept. 18.

The court’s long-awaited ruling represents a victory for Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who faced fierce criticism over the policy from Republicans during his reelection campaign last year, including a barrage of sometimes misleading claims in TV ads and political mailers.

Pritzker made eliminating cash bail a priority during his first term and backed the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in pushing its sweeping criminal justice overhaul in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in 2020.

Looks like Pritzker the Hutt is getting his money's worth from the IL state supreme court.

Conservatives that still live there......“But….but…but…but my family is from here! I can’t move!!”

I'm fully convinced that the dems are a suicide cult.....Except for their elite though.

Last edited:
Are we all aware of the purpose of cash bail? It is intended to ensure that the accused shows up for trial (or the next hearing). If you have someone with no home, no job, no family, and no reliable friends, how do you ensure he will show up?

Illinois and other states are basing their ludicrous policies on a circumstance that could change quickly. The crime in Chicago is pretty much isolated to specific neighborhoods and doesn't migrate far from there. White and middle class people don't really give a damn about murder rates, homelessness, and so on, because it doesn't affect them.

This court ruling is absurd. Democrats are evil.

Are we all aware of the purpose of cash bail? It is intended to ensure that the accused shows up for trial (or the next hearing). If you have someone with no home, no job, no family, and no reliable friends, how do you ensure he will show up?

Illinois and other states are basing their ludicrous policies on a circumstance that could change quickly. The crime in Chicago is pretty much isolated to specific neighborhoods and doesn't migrate far from there. White and middle class people don't really give a damn about murder rates, homelessness, and so on, because it doesn't affect them.

True. I only hope they had the good sense to drastically increase penalties for no shows on court dates.
There is a common concept in civil law and lawsuits, whereby failure to answer is often as good as not putting up a defense in the first place, and results in summary judgement. That would not bother me if it was extended to criminal cases, and summary judgement resulted in an automatic guilty verdict on the underlying charges, and a bench warrant to pick up and transport directly prison to begin serving sentence.

True. I only hope they had the good sense to drastically increase penalties for no shows on court dates.
There is a common concept in civil law and lawsuits, whereby failure to answer is often as good as not putting up a defense in the first place, and results in summary judgement. That would not bother me if it was extended to criminal cases, and summary judgement resulted in an automatic guilty verdict on the underlying charges, and a bench warrant to pick up and transport directly prison to begin serving sentence.
Damn fine idea.....Your newsletter, where do I sign-up? ;)

Damn fine idea.....Your newsletter, where do I sign-up? ;)
I don't know if it would fly, but conceptually has a nice logical ring to it.

Democrats love criminals.

The Illinois Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for the state to become the first in the nation to eliminate cash bail for criminal defendants awaiting trial, rejecting arguments from county prosecutors that the law violates the state constitution.

The 5-2 decision was split along party lines, with the two Republican justices, David Overstreet and Lisa Holder White, dissenting.
Eliminating cash bail creates a system “commensurate with that balance,” the court ruled.
The justices gave trial courts 60 days to prepare for the new rules, with cash bail to be eliminated Sept. 18.

The court’s long-awaited ruling represents a victory for Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who faced fierce criticism over the policy from Republicans during his reelection campaign last year, including a barrage of sometimes misleading claims in TV ads and political mailers.

Pritzker made eliminating cash bail a priority during his first term and backed the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in pushing its sweeping criminal justice overhaul in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in 2020.

Looks like Pritzker the Hutt is getting his money's worth from the IL state supreme court.

Conservatives that still live there......“But….but…but…but my family is from here! I can’t move!!”

I'm fully convinced that the dems are a suicide cult.....Except for their elite though.
You tards are positively schizophrenic.

You whine and whine about the January 6 insurrectionists being held in jail before trial, and now you whine that defendants will be released before trial.

I knew you would expose your schizo hypocrisy sooner or later. It was just a matter of time.

By the way, this decision in Illinois was very loudly supported by victims' advocacy groups.

You whine and whine about the January 6 insurrectionists being held in jail before trial, and now you whine that defendants will be released before trial.

I knew you would expose your schizo hypocrisy sooner or later. It was just a matter of time.

By the way, this decision in Illinois was very loudly supported by victims' advocacy groups.

Those "victims advocacy groups" probably think the criminals are the real victims.

J6 is a political prosecution, this is about ordinary criminals having to basically kill someone to be held without bail or released to continue their crimes.

Reform Backed by Victims, Allies, and Advocates​

Organizations like CAASE eagerly support the end of money bail. In fact, we helped craft the Pretrial Fairness Act, alongside partners like The Network: Advocating Against Domestic Violence and the Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ICADV) because criminal justice reform is a critical part of countering gender-based violence. Ending pretrial incarceration based on wealth benefits us all and will profoundly impact those most harmed by sexual violence. Low-income, Black, and brown communities need policies like the PFA that acknowledge and seek to change classist, racist practices.

The PFA replaces money with risk as the determining factor for pretrial incarceration and gives those charged with nonviolent crimes a chance to heal with their community—all while prioritizing the needs of survivors. It’s a true win for public safety.

What a completely idiotic dismissal of something that is obvious to non SJW twats.
Um...retard? These are people who advocate for the victims, not the criminals. Many of them are former victims themselves.

You tards just get dumber by the day.

I'm going to laugh my ass off from now on when any Trumptard whines about the insurrectionists who are still in jail without trial.

Fucking schizos.

Um...retard? These are people who advocate for the victims, not the criminals.

You tards just get dumber by the day.

And lefty theory is that the criminals are just as much victims as the actual victims.

In these State/Cities what part of the political spectrum do you think they occupy?

Stick to TDS posts, at least there your idiocy is predictable while still pathetic.

You are a mean-spirited and small person. You and your ilk also completely validate my bottom sig-line.

Forum List

Back