If you had the power, how would you change American TV News?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I would get rid of all of the existing major TV news shows and start over. Each network would get ONE news show but the subject matter would have to comply with no more than 20% of the coverage on politics. At least 80% of the coverage would cover the economy, health care and health related topics, crime, drug problems both legal and illegal, the border, personal interest stories etc. There would an independent review panel made up of American citizens who monitor the content of each show to insure that the news anchors are not interjecting their own beliefs into the news content. In short, "News" would return to being news and not DEM or GOP biased reporting.

What would you do if you were America's Media Czar?

I don't know how to spell it but the Kyron (the logo of the news network) needs to have a different color on the televised news when the programming is expressing political opinion vs fact of actual news.

Change it to green when you have Hannity or Maddow are on offering nothing but slanted reporting. When there is actual news being broadcasted, change it back to red or blue or what have you.

For starters, they would be instructed on keeping their opinions to themselves (including the editorial decisions about what to report).

And then we’d get to the heart of it. Report NEWS, instead of performing handjobs for the DNC.

I would do away with any commentary/in-house-analysts and regular contributors in front of the camera. That said, I have only watched one nightly news show (ABC) one time in forever. Internet is where the reporting (or lack thereof) happens these days. I am not sure how to fix that monster.

If you are really interested in learning something about cable news, this is a really eye-opening thread.

I don't know how to spell it but the Kyron (the logo of the news network) needs to have a different color on the televised news when the programming is expressing political opinion vs fact of actual news.

Change it to green when you have Hannity or Maddow are on offering nothing but slanted reporting. When there is actual news being broadcasted, change it back to red or blue or what have you.

Who will be in charge of the changing of colors. Let me guess, a totally un-biased person, right?

There are many of those. :eusa_whistle:

Who will be in charge of the changing of colors.
Let the FCC administer fines. A few of those and you start seeing some action.

Unlike many here, I think the responsible press would take it as a way to highlight their impartiality instead of trying to put one over on the dupes who bother to tune in to MSNBC and FOX.

I think you have to have serious issues if you watch either one of those networks for anything other than entertainment.

For starters, they would be instructed on keeping their opinions to themselves (including the editorial decisions about what to report).

And then we’d get to the heart of it. Report NEWS, instead of performing handjobs for the DNC.
Put cartoons on instead.

Let the FCC administer fines. A few of those and you start seeing some action.

Unlike many here, I think the responsible press would take it as a way to highlight their impartiality instead of trying to put one over on the dupes who bother to tune in to MSNBC and FOX.

I think you have to have serious issues if you watch either one of those networks for anything other than entertainment.
if you dont like fox, who the fluck makes you watch it?????????

if you dont like fox, who the fluck makes you watch it?????????
I never said I did. I don't even have cable television any longer. When I did and when I do watch the TV's we have here at work in the break room and the waiting rooms and catch stuff that is on MSNBC or FOX, I just shake my head that someone somewhere is actually taking in this crapolla as news.

I think making broadcasters (who get the airwaves for free) clearly indicate when they are putting opinions across as news in the public domain is a good idea.

I never said I did. I don't even have cable television any longer. When I did and when I do watch the TV's we have here at work in the break room and the waiting rooms and catch stuff that is on MSNBC or FOX, I just shake my head that someone somewhere is actually taking in this crapolla as news.

I think making broadcasters (who get the airwaves for free) clearly indicate when they are putting opinions across as news in the public domain is a good idea.
I don’t believe in censorship

I would get rid of all of the existing major TV news shows and start over. Each network would get ONE news show but the subject matter would have to comply with no more than 20% of the coverage on politics. At least 80% of the coverage would cover the economy, health care and health related topics, crime, drug problems both legal and illegal, the border, personal interest stories etc. There would an independent review panel made up of American citizens who monitor the content of each show to insure that the news anchors are not interjecting their own beliefs into the news content. In short, "News" would return to being news and not DEM or GOP biased reporting.

What would you do if you were America's Media Czar?
I would do nothing and let cable news die naturally over the next 10 years

I don’t believe in censorship
ok.

Nothing I stated is remotely akin to censorship.

When I was growing up, the word "commentary" would show up on the screen when a news anchor on television was giving opinions.

1662682191391.png

The person you see above wasn't a news anchor--his name was Marvin Zindler who did a consumer affairs segment during the local news telecast

My point is that the station was so cognizant of the fact that this report was taking place during a news broadcast, they found it necessary to explicitly put up the word "commentary" so that viewers would know that these are his thoughts.

We should get back to that. Say whatever you want but tell the viewers tuning into FOX NEWS or the Cable News Network that what is being broadcast is not news; it is opinion.

Remove the eye-Candy reporters/anchors (of both sexes; go back to mature looking male reporters and anchors; force News, Opinion/Commentary, Feel Good stories, Sports, and Weather to be clearly separated into their own segments. No cross-overs.

Forum List

Back