If you believe you don't have to do good works to attain Heaven.. u make Jesus out to be a liar

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
Read Mt 2531 and you will see what I'm saying..

Then there was the psg where He says Go and sin no more

then there is, I believe it is Mt 5:48

Be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect...

Does God abstain from doing good works? Well, He certainly did not abstain from such when He came to Earth to die on a Cross for us... a good work that tortured and killed Him...

But we don't have to do good works...?

Humans do good works to be rewarded by God. Who do you think would have rewarded Jesus (peace be upon him) for dying? Many people died like you say he did — do they get an adequate reward?

Since when did simply dying become a good deed?

Humans do good works to be rewarded by God. Who do you think would have rewarded Jesus (peace be upon him) for dying? Many people died like you say he did — do they get an adequate reward?

Since when did simply dying become a good deed?
i'm not at all sure I u/stand this

but in any case, humans do not always do good works simply to be rewarded by God... some of us do them because

JESUS said to

i'm not at all sure I u/stand this

but in any case, humans do not always do good works simply to be rewarded by God... some of us do them because

JESUS said to
If we have real faith, we then have real belief in Jesus Christ. Then, we will automatically do good works. Now, define "works?"

If we have real faith, we then have real belief in Jesus Christ. Then, we will automatically do good works. Now, define "works?"
no one "automatically" does good works... esp when he would prefer to go golfing...

I disagree. There are people that will drop what they are doing to help someone in need.
I've seen such and it is awesome

but most people, if they feel God doesn't care whether they do good deeds or not

will not do them...

Jesus said to spread the Gospel throughout the world...

sounds like work to me

and there are other examples

works: going to Church when you may not feel like it.. would rather go golfing

works: giving $$ to the homeless beggar who has little to nothing

works: doing whatever Jesus says... Mt 2531 and etc...

I've seen such and it is awesome

but most people, if they feel God doesn't care whether they do good deeds or not

will not do them...

Jesus said to spread the Gospel throughout the world...

sounds like work to me

and there are other examples
Protestants believe all you have to do is accept Jesus Christ and that's it. So, do most Protestants don't care if they do good deeds? I don't think they think that.

works: going to Church when you may not feel like it.. would rather go golfing

works: giving $$ to the homeless beggar who has little to nothing

works: doing whatever Jesus says... Mt 2531 and etc...
Are the ordinances important like baptism and the Sacraments?

Protestants believe all you have to do is accept Jesus Christ and that's it. So, do most Protestants don't care if they do good deeds? I don't think they think that.
I don't either... there is a big disconnect btwn what they claim to believe and what they REALLY believe (what they live day by day)

Are the ordinances important like baptism and the Sacraments?
baptism is very important. You don't have to go to confession unless you have committed a mortal sin (fornication, adultery, illicit divorce, abortion...) but it is good to go often...

Read Mt 2531 and you will see what I'm saying..

Then there was the psg where He says Go and sin no more

then there is, I believe it is Mt 5:48

Be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect...

Does God abstain from doing good works? Well, He certainly did not abstain from such when He came to Earth to die on a Cross for us... a good work that tortured and killed Him...

But we don't have to do good works...?
When you refer to Matthew 25:31 I assume you are referring to verse 31 and the rest of the chapter. In that passage, Jesus is saying that the ones who are saved by him will be the ones who do the good things he refers to. He is also saying that the ones who do none of those things are not saved. He is not saying that God's criteria for admission into heaven is to do all those particular good things. He is not saying that any of those things earn admission to heaven. If Jesus were saying that, he would be contradicting Ephesians 2:8-9. That passage makes it clear that justification, and hence admission to heaven, is not based on works.

You referred to Matthew 5:48. That cannot be saying that one must behave perfectly for their entire life to be admitted into heaven, nor is it saying that one's admission is actually based on behavior. If that were so, Jesus would be contradicting Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 3:19 to 4:8, Galatians 2:15-16, Titus 3:4-7, and Romans 11:5,6.

You also said "But we don't have to do good works?" I'm not sure what you are getting at with that. God certainly cares about our works. Nonetheless, works are not a part of God's basis for salvation. See the verses I quoted above.

When you refer to Matthew 25:31 I assume you are referring to verse 31 and the rest of the chapter. In that passage, Jesus is saying that the ones who are saved by him will be the ones who do the good things he refers to. He is also saying that the ones who do none of those things are not saved. He is not saying that God's criteria for admission into heaven is to do all those particular good things. He is not saying that any of those things earn admission to heaven. If Jesus were saying that, he would be contradicting Ephesians 2:8-9. That passage makes it clear that justification, and hence admission to heaven, is not based on works.

You referred to Matthew 5:48. That cannot be saying that one must behave perfectly for their entire life to be admitted into heaven, nor is it saying that one's admission is actually based on behavior. If that were so, Jesus would be contradicting Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 3:19 to 4:8, Galatians 2:15-16, Titus 3:4-7, and Romans 11:5,6.

You also said "But we don't have to do good works?" I'm not sure what you are getting at with that. God certainly cares about our works. Nonetheless, works are not a part of God's basis for salvation. See the verses I quoted above.
i cannot respond to this

it makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever...

=

When you refer to Matthew 25:31 I assume you are referring to verse 31 and the rest of the chapter. In that passage, Jesus is saying that the ones who are saved by him will be the ones who do the good things he refers to. He is also saying that the ones who do none of those things are not saved. He is not saying that God's criteria for admission into heaven is to do all those particular good things.
and neither have I ever said that those are the criteria...

but Catholics get accused of believing all sorts of stupid and nefarious things

Forum List

Back