If you are being bombarded by full page pop ups on your phone do this

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I do most of my posting from my phone. It has its disadvantages. one of them is the fact that the word processor on the Android machine doesn't get along very well with the text justification program that usmb runs. I am constantly having to edit to get the paragraphs and indentations correct and to stop the post from being spread out all over the place.
It's a small problem though.
However much larger problem has recently come to light. I understand that a place like this needs to make money to stay online and so they sign contracts with the search engines in the various internet providers to run ads which is generally a good idea or in my opinion. However recently I find that the hazard become obnoxious to the nth degree. They completely cover the page on my phone and Irish stubborn as all hell to remove. To make matters worse is a new moving pop-up that appears in the lower area of the posting region. It has a teaser x to drop it that always seems to center itself right over the red button that scrolls the entire page down. That's probably not an accident. So when you're dropped the damn pop up the page scrolls out of sight then you have to scroll it back to begin posting again unless of course a full page pop-up covers the entire page causing you to have to wait another 30 seconds. I found a way around it though. when the full page pop-up comes in I simply go back to the home screen on my phone and reopen the Tapatalk icon. It's a lot faster than fighting with the pop up. There are a few paid pop-up blockers that you can get they'll probably do better but I refuse to pay for something I can get rid of on my own.

Jo

This fckin site is an ad bonanza. Every time I log in I get security warnings from my anti virus. Thank gawd for VPNs

Becoming unbearable....that and sissfied mods and one's passion for thread banning.

I do most of my posting from my phone. It has its disadvantages. one of them is the fact that the word processor on the Android machine doesn't get along very well with the text justification program that usmb runs. I am constantly having to edit to get the paragraphs and indentations correct and to stop the post from being spread out all over the place.
However much larger problem has recently come to light. I understand that a place like this needs to make money to stay online and so they sign contracts with the search engines in the various internet providers to run ads which is generally a good idea or in my opinion. However recently I find that the hazard become obnoxious to the nth degree. They completely cover the page on my phone and Irish stubborn as all hell to remove. To make matters worse is a new moving pop-up that appears in the lower area of the posting region. It has a teaser x to drop it that always seems to center itself right over the red button that scrolls the entire page down. That's probably not an accident. So when you're dropped the damn pop up the page scrolls out of sight then you have to scroll it back to begin posting again unless of course a full page pop-up covers the entire page causing you to have to wait another 30 seconds. I found a way around it though. when the full page pop-up comes in I simply go back to the home screen on my phone and reopen the Tapatalk icon. It's a lot faster than fighting with the pop up. There are a few paid pop-up blockers that you can get they'll probably do better but I refuse to pay for something I can get rid of on my own.

Jo
Yeah I use a small android tabet and it drives me friggin nuts too. The board owners should take a little more intrest because the aberrant behavior isn't winning them any friends or subscribers.

Jo

There's only so much control and content you can deliver to a 4 inch screen without a real pointing device. It's one of compromises the consumer tech world has bullied you into...

You MIGHT try setting a lower number of "posts per page" when you're mostly mobile.. Seems to me, that scrolling is less of chore that way...

But be aware, if you change the default # of posts/page, when you give mods or members links to posts, you need to use the address from the POST NUMBER, not the page URL because copying the page URL won't even get any else NEAR that post you're pointing to....

Jo
Maybe you should try using USMB in your browser, instead. There is a mobile version of this page that is even more comfortable than tapatalk.

Jo
Maybe you should try using USMB in your browser, instead. There is a mobile version of this page that is even more comfortable than tapatalk.

Will definitely try that

Jo

I have good experience with Opera Mini. It has a built-in ad blocker and can even reduce the amount of data the phone loads (besides the ad blocking) to open a site, so that one can even surf when the limit of the data plan has been exceeded. Whether copy and paste and similar operations within the browser are easy or tricky, depends on the brand of your phone, not the browser.

I have good experience with Opera Mini. It has a built-in ad blocker and can even reduce the amount of data the phone loads (besides the ad blocking) to open a site, so that one can even surf when the limit of the data plan has been exceeded. Whether copy and paste and similar operations within the browser are easy or tricky, depends on the brand of your phone, not the browser.

Opera mini?....works on Android phones?

Forum List

Back