Help! I'm Drowning in Ads!

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
It is like that our website is supported by ads it allows to visit here in exchange for financial support, but one of the spaces being used takes up space where you used to could see the name of the thread, but now, the ads have multiplied in size to where you can't even see what thread you are own. Can't that space be returned to the convenience of senior posters who are on a fixed income and can't afford ad blockers and don't want to give away personal information to "free" ad blockers who might share or be hacked to produce extra mail to sift through for me. Some of the links take you to a screen blacked out that says "to see full article, 'sign up!'" When you do that, they start flooding and I do mean flooding your mailbox with up to 30 a day advertisements. I accidently said "ok" 2 or 3 times, and my mail is over 100 pieces of garbage per diem, and I can't even use it anymore. Some of them do not give you the message "if you want to stop seeing these ads, click here". I had no idea that "signing in" left you open to invasion of privacy, peace of mind, and my entire communication system is plugged. Needless to mention, three of them put sliding crap in my lower right corner, which interferes with this website and others, where they have tracked me down because they now know every where you go, each and every item you purchase, and everyone you talk to and on and on. If you buy a vitamin on Amazon, for example, the ads everywhere share information until you wish vitamins weren't such an important part of human health needs.

If I could just see the name of the thread again instead of "bowling balls, billiards, laser tags, arcade games, and more" with a map with a red arrow on it in a city I looked up 3 or 4 days ago. They even know maps and locations you request directions to if you use an interactive map! Barf!

Please restore where you are information so it will not disturb our not-so-gentle advertisers' larger, larger, and even larger advertisements every time I come here. If I don't know the name of the thread, once in a while a post gets placed in the wrong thread, all because an advertiser think it is more important to sell his product than for USMB posters to know what thread they are reading and trying to answer other posters. Thanks.

Oh, and now there is a great big green truck taking up 6 inches in height on the main page. Why are the ad people magnifying the size of their ads to where you cannot see which thread you are on? Isn't there a way to give them inches for their advertising?

Between the 6" header ads and the 2x7" lower right hand corner ads, all I can do is fight to get the ads out of my way to try to move around in USMB. And they take up five inches on the right side by pushing our posts 5 inches over. Sometimes my posts disappear for a few minutes while the ads on the lower right fail to get extinguished. I lso cannot move up and down when some ads show up below right.

FYI Beautress, I use adblock plus and I don't recall having to provide any personal info to download it. I could be forgetting but I don't think I did and I haven't been bombarded with emails ads. I get them but not a huge amount.

Almost every new thread I get them on my android....They don't bother me, I just close them....one constantly at the top, others continue to pop up after 15 seconds at the bottom, and full page ones whenever I change threads....Hey, if it helps finance the website, I can live with the inconvenience of closing them

Tell me about it!

If I see one more ad for Metamucil, Depends, burial plots or latex midget sex, I think I'm gonna scream!

FYI Beautress, I use adblock plus and I don't recall having to provide any personal info to download it. I could be forgetting but I don't think I did and I haven't been bombarded with emails ads. I get them but not a huge amount.
Thank you, MarathonMike. the only free ad blocker I ever followed by a click wanted my information. I'm also on Social Security, having retired ten years ago due to fibromyalgia and being unable to run my own business, which I turned over to employees when I left frost country and moved home to Texas. My husband died, and I'm not doing to well figuring how to run the financial end of his investments and am having to spend what little I have to pay lawyers to try and untie assets so I can pay a whopping property tax bill by the end of the year. In the meantime, if my car breaks down and needs another repair, I'm done for, because even though it looks good, Social Security living is hand to mouth. So I can't afford to pay for one who will just make things work right.

It would help if I knew what thread I was on when I get here. Several of my posts lately have wound up answering one which appears on another, and I'm sure it's my bad. If I could just look up and see where I'm posting without having to find the "x" to get rid of the ad, which is of course, replaced by another ad of someone else.

Oh, and in addition to the giant ad above, there are NINE PAGES OF FREAKING ADS BELOW right here right now. I measured them, and it's NINE PAGES HIGH with great big pictures and letters of advertisers. NINE PAGES???? Cheeze louize.

Holy cow. Now there are 16 pages tall below. A lot of them are Taboola ads who bait you with a "Famous Person lives in such a sorrowful place you would cry." My experience has been I went to the page, 45 "Next" buttons after reading only one paragraph per page turn, I have seen 100x # of pages in ads to find out that by the time I got to page 45, I couldn't remember why I went there, because they didn't show James Bond's pitiful place until the last page where he owned a fifteen million dollar showplace in some place that looks better than paradise. :rolleyes: I hate ads, and I hate ads that take you to ad planet even more. <giggle>

Almost every new thread I get them on my android....They don't bother me, I just close them....one constantly at the top, others continue to pop up after 15 seconds at the bottom, and full page ones whenever I change threads....Hey, if it helps finance the website, I can live with the inconvenience of closing them
I wish I were as patient as you. They just increased my ad on the right lower from 2" high to a 4x6" moving picture ads screen. Also, when I turn my computer on, those ads on the lower right hand corner are averaging 80 or 90 clicks to get to where I can use my computer. And when you click, many of them wait 5 or 6 seconds. In other words, it has taken me 5 minutes and sometimes even more because I have to get rid of the ads to use the scroll. And while the scroll is buried between the Moon and New York City, the best that I can do is be read disgusted when I get here.

Tell me about it!

If I see one more ad for Metamucil, Depends, burial plots or latex midget sex, I think I'm gonna scream!

LMFAO, so how many boxes of depends did you buy?

I bought a new AK 15 and three barbie dolls

Well it sucks to be you, I get all these ads for guns and barbie dolls

Ballistic-Barbie-Concealed-Carry-Magazine.jpg

Concealed carry Barbie is my fave!

I wish I were as patient as you. They just increased my ad on the right lower from 2" high to a 4x6" moving picture ads screen. Also, when I turn my computer on, those ads on the lower right hand corner are averaging 80 or 90 clicks to get to where I can use my computer. And when you click, many of them wait 5 or 6 seconds. In other words, it has taken me 5 minutes and sometimes even more because I have to get rid of the ads to use the scroll. And while the scroll is buried between the Moon and New York City, the best that I can do is be read disgusted when I get here.

Logarithm

Thank you, MarathonMike. the only free ad blocker I ever followed by a click wanted my information. I'm also on Social Security, having retired ten years ago due to fibromyalgia and being unable to run my own business, which I turned over to employees when I left frost country and moved home to Texas. My husband died, and I'm not doing to well figuring how to run the financial end of his investments and am having to spend what little I have to pay lawyers to try and untie assets so I can pay a whopping property tax bill by the end of the year. In the meantime, if my car breaks down and needs another repair, I'm done for, because even though it looks good, Social Security living is hand to mouth. So I can't afford to pay for one who will just make things work right.

It would help if I knew what thread I was on when I get here. Several of my posts lately have wound up answering one which appears on another, and I'm sure it's my bad. If I could just look up and see where I'm posting without having to find the "x" to get rid of the ad, which is of course, replaced by another ad of someone else.
Beautress what web browser do you use? I use and recommend Firefox. Here are the best rated adblockers for Firefox:

The best free ad blockers of 2019
  • Stands Fair Adblocker.
  • AdGuard.
  • Opera Browser.
  • AdLock.
  • AdBlock Plus.
  • uBlock Plus Adblocker.

And its messed up since I changed my aviator to tilly's..( forgot to mention) I get all these woman clothes adds)

It is like that our website is supported by ads it allows to visit here in exchange for financial support, but one of the spaces being used takes up space where you used to could see the name of the thread, but now, the ads have multiplied in size to where you can't even see what thread you are own. Can't that space be returned to the convenience of senior posters who are on a fixed income and can't afford ad blockers and don't want to give away personal information to "free" ad blockers who might share or be hacked to produce extra mail to sift through for me. Some of the links take you to a screen blacked out that says "to see full article, 'sign up!'" When you do that, they start flooding and I do mean flooding your mailbox with up to 30 a day advertisements. I accidently said "ok" 2 or 3 times, and my mail is over 100 pieces of garbage per diem, and I can't even use it anymore. Some of them do not give you the message "if you want to stop seeing these ads, click here". I had no idea that "signing in" left you open to invasion of privacy, peace of mind, and my entire communication system is plugged. Needless to mention, three of them put sliding crap in my lower right corner, which interferes with this website and others, where they have tracked me down because they now know every where you go, each and every item you purchase, and everyone you talk to and on and on. If you buy a vitamin on Amazon, for example, the ads everywhere share information until you wish vitamins weren't such an important part of human health needs.

If I could just see the name of the thread again instead of "bowling balls, billiards, laser tags, arcade games, and more" with a map with a red arrow on it in a city I looked up 3 or 4 days ago. They even know maps and locations you request directions to if you use an interactive map! Barf!

Please restore where you are information so it will not disturb our not-so-gentle advertisers' larger, larger, and even larger advertisements every time I come here. If I don't know the name of the thread, once in a while a post gets placed in the wrong thread, all because an advertiser think it is more important to sell his product than for USMB posters to know what thread they are reading and trying to answer other posters. Thanks.

Opera mini

Jo

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

Forum List

Back