If I tell someone who is allergic to nuts that a food they are about to eat does not contain nuts, and they eat that food despite the food containing

I know several people who have had a very severe allergy to poison ivy/oak/sumac. Myself, I've never had any allergic reaction to it.
There is a service in the area up here where you can rent a few goats that are let loose in your yard to eat all the poison ivy and stuff that you don’t want there.

There is a service in the area up here where you can rent a few goats that are let loose in your yard to eat all the poison ivy and stuff that you don’t want there.

The same thing is available here. I worked with them for a few years. Great fun!

From my experience, the favorite foods of the goats, in order, was kudzu, privet and poison ivy. They would head-butt each other for access to any of that.

I read a study on NIH where people's hands were rubbed with a poison ivy leaf. They were told it was a harmless leaf. They did not get a rash. When they were told a harmless leaf was a poison ivy leaf, and they were rubbed with it, they got rashes.

If you tell a person allergic to nuts that a food doesn't contain nuts, is it true they would not have a reaction if they ate something containing nuts, simply because they expected not to have a reaction? (Reactions to poison ivy, despite its name, are allergic, not toxic.)

I heard the brain is very powerful and stuff about mind over matter. I also read about Pavlovian (conditioned) allergic responses. The Japanese poison ivy study showed this effect can work both ways. The poison ivy study was a study on the placbo effect, which is generally accepted as being a legit thing. There's many people who think this could be ESP/psychic phenomena, as no biological mechanism exists for it.

The less you post, the better.

Sadly, you can become allergic.
I've heard that before, which is why I avoid getting it on me. Plus if you get it on you, you can transfer it to a loved one who is allergic to it.

I've seen people get some really bad allergic reactions from it. So bad that they have to be prescribed a corticosteroid like prednisone, which can have some bad side effects.

One dude I know got it on his hands, then rubbed his eyes. His eyes swelled shut and he had to go to the ER.

Last edited:
I've heard that before, which is why I avoid getting it on me. Plus if you get it on you, you can transfer it to a loved one who is allergic to it.

I've seen people get some really bad allergic reactions from it. So bad that they have to be prescribed a corticosteroid like prednisone, which can have some bad side effects.

One dude I know got it on his hands, then rubbed his eyes. His eyes swelled shut and he had to go to the ER.

I have been allergic to poison ivy my entire life. I grew up playing in the woods behind my house, so I had it more often than I can count. I don't think there is a place on my body that has not had a rash and blisters from poison ivy.

Forum List

Back