I don't see how it is in the gop's interest to say no to any infrastructure deal, and that appears to be where they are headed.

I see need for infrastructure spending. I expect my Republican congressman will be against it and I'll read his objection which he'll post on Facebook. Odds are I'll respond to the congressman's Facebook post by calling him an idiot if it's stictly about the money. Putting off maintenance now doesn't make it cheaper in the future. Plus as time goes on the proliferation of electric cars means continual loss of funds coming in through the federal gasoline tax. They need to replace this gasoline tax as it becomes more-and-more a loophole for liberals.
Agree that the money for electric cars is over kill, most American's wont be able to afford them for quite a while. Why not give some incentives to car builders & buyers. The push for cleaner air is valid. But We need a leaner more focused bill.

In the 1950s the top marginal tax rate was 91%, so Eisenhower couldn't raise taxes any more.

Only on payrolls ans salaries. Capital gains maxed out at 25%. Michael Moore does sloppy research; he's a lazy fat assed pot head. Capital gains got a 50% deduction right off the top; if you had say $100 in gains you paid taxes on $50. And, with all the other deductions, you actually paid a lot less than wage earners paid in real terms, and you still do to this day. If you were paid $100 at your job you were taxed on $100. And Social Security, state and local taxes applied as well, and sales taxes on what you bought.

Last edited:
Agree that the money for electric cars is over kill, most American's wont be able to afford them for quite a while. Why not give some incentives to car builders & buyers. The push for cleaner air is valid. But We need a leaner more focused bill.

Gas powered cars generate about 4% the emissions they did in the 60s. Total automobile emissions haven't gone up since then in the US despite that they are a whole shitload more cars on the road.

And electric cars are mostly powered by ... fossil fuel power plants ...

Find a poison pill in whatever deal they come up with. And even now Republicans in Ill are looking to improve the El with funding.

I lean towards not liking "human infrstructure" and building health care sites, but we really are talking about fixing broken interstate bridges and traditional infrastructure. The only way the dems can win is if people really think the gop is against most everything and don't want to make life better, or help the economy. I won't say Portman is a lying sack of shit, but even if he has good intentions, this seems another case Republicans not being able to deliver a pizza, as they were on a debt deal back in Obama's second term.
Possibly Democrats should ask their leaders when Trump offered to legalize the Dreamers, and then some, and Democrats turned it down...

In any case, much of this so called infrastructure probably has very little to do with actual infrastructure, and more about liberal wish list spending...

Forum List

Back