If I Shake my Fist at the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does G-d say about himself

Nothing. I have to rely on the written work of others. Honestly that is less reliable than a half baked religious nut job. I have no idea who even wrote those books thus I cannot identify their motive.

I will rely on what God says to me and follow His instructions exactly to a T. So far He has said nothing to me.

Have you ever bought any product, and needed to know how to make the product work? I bought some bluetooth headphones, and I had no idea how to pair them with my computer.

When that happens.... do you try and contact the CEO of the manufacturer? Or do you read the instructions?

Do you know specifically who wrote those instructions, and what their motivation was? I don't. Who knows who wrote those instructions. Could have been an intern on the job for only a week, who hates the company, but just wants to put this internship down on his resume and leave.

I still read the instructions.

All throughout the Bible, G-d speaks to his people through other people. First it was prophets and priests, then it was through apostles, and now through his book, and his church.

Now G-d has 'spoken' to me at times, like answers to prayers, sometimes even while I was still praying.

However, G-d has never audibly responded to me, with a voice.

I think I would ask myself, why do I demand that G-d answer me, the way that I want him to, and ignore his answers to me the way he wants to?

The Bible, and The Qur'an for that matter, were written by people. Some of their thoughts were practical then and now, some not so much, the Times in which they were written being a noteworthy context.

The question each of you must satisfy in the privacy of your own minds is: "Are those words inspired by God?"

Would God be so patriarchal, or is that just a reflection of the societies that contributed to The Books?

Would God have been that naive about the history and archeology which were so misunderstood at the Time?

Would God be that fucking cruel?

We don't need God to explain storms and earthquakes anymore. I may slap the next person to tell me how "blessed" we are here in south Florida because we got missed by Hurricane Dorian. If we got "blessed" by God, the Bahamas got fucked in the same executive order; and if that's what The God of Abraham is all about, fuck Him. I'll take my chances in hell.

`

Why isn’t what he created enough evidence for you?

None of the creation is signed. It could have been Zeus.
Oh, so you are trying to prove who the creator is before you decide if there was a creator.

It’s stupid shit like that that makes me not believe your bullshit story about yourself.

If you created something could I use what you created as evidence even if I didn’t know who created it? Think, McFly, think.

Don't get confused. I didn't start this thread.

Doesn’t matter if you did start it. You have been given more than enough evidence for a creator.

Perhaps..... but that doesn't prove the existence of The God of Abraham as defined in the ancient stories of The Torah, The New Testament and The Qur'an.

Bury The God of the Ancient Arabs and Jews with the ancient Arabs and Jews and start enjoying The God of (insert your name here).

`
I didn’t realize the OP was singling out the God of Abraham, Joe.

Maybe you should go back an re-read it.

Seems to me that the question of does God exist and who is God are two different questions.
This thread has been evolving since 2013.

Try to keep up, eh?

If I shake my fist at the sky and declare to God that I am impressed with neither his presence nor his proofs to date, and I challenge the aforementioned God to kill me now or forever be regarded and described by me as fictitious, does that prove anything?
:eusa_think:

It proves you're an idiot. :dunno:
Is that the best argument you've got to defend God?

:lmao:
I’m pretty sure the creator of existence can take care of himself. A better question is what does your assault on God say about you.

It says that I'm sick and fucking tired of seeing our society and our politics being so profoundly warped by the naive and the stubborn who still believe that it is their duty to push The God of Abraham, as defined in The Torah, The New Testament and/or The Qur'an as deeply in to our politics and our society as is possible.

If I shake my fist at the sky and declare to God that I am impressed with neither his presence nor his proofs to date, and I challenge the aforementioned God to kill me now or forever be regarded and described by me as fictitious, does that prove anything?

You might be wondering "Why the fuck did that go so badly for me?" Sometime in the future.

And yet here we are, five years after my challenge to The God of Abraham, and I remain one of the luckiest little bastards that I know.

Either The God of Abraham is completely impotent or He doesn't exist or the ancient Arab tales that describe Him screwed the pooch regarding how much He gives a shit about the people who worship him. A whole lotta Bahamians worship this God....

What? Was He pissed off about how their tourism industry is raping the planet and more than willing to sacrifice them for Mar-a-lago and West Palm Beach?

:eusa_hand: Give me a friggin' break!​

What do you mean "ancient Arab?"

The Arabs didn't migrate from North Africa to the middle east until the 3rd century AD, Islam didn't arrive until the 6th century.

I find it amusing that you wage war against something you claim doesn't exist.

If you TRULY didn't believe, you would ignore it.

What I believe is that those three story books originated in The Middle East. Those three ancient stories that still dominate religious practice AND conflict all across our shrinking world are a cancer to our further development as a free society.

I preach against The God of Abraham, as defined in The Torah, The New Testament and The Qur'an because I believe that the fewer people worshiping Him under ANY pretense or religion, the better for planet earth.

Between the Muslims wanting to kill those choosing not to convert and the Christians wanting to push their religious agenda in politics at the cost of freedom, enough is enough.

The Time to bury The God of Abraham and the ancient Arabs with Abraham and the ancient Arabs is upon us.

`

Why?

As I said, if you truly didn't believe, you wouldn't care. You make war against that which you fear, not that which you don't believe in.
I don't have to believe in the god in question to be convinced that billions of people are being led astray and in to conflict because of the religions that are centered on said god. To the contrary, I need to be pretty self-assured that the god in question is fictitious.

None of the creation is signed. It could have been Zeus.
Oh, so you are trying to prove who the creator is before you decide if there was a creator.

It’s stupid shit like that that makes me not believe your bullshit story about yourself.

If you created something could I use what you created as evidence even if I didn’t know who created it? Think, McFly, think.

Don't get confused. I didn't start this thread.

Doesn’t matter if you did start it. You have been given more than enough evidence for a creator.

Perhaps..... but that doesn't prove the existence of The God of Abraham as defined in the ancient stories of The Torah, The New Testament and The Qur'an.

Bury The God of the Ancient Arabs and Jews with the ancient Arabs and Jews and start enjoying The God of (insert your name here).

`
I didn’t realize the OP was singling out the God of Abraham, Joe.

Maybe you should go back an re-read it.

Seems to me that the question of does God exist and who is God are two different questions.
This thread has been evolving since 2013.

Try to keep up, eh?
Uh huh. Sure.

You might be wondering "Why the fuck did that go so badly for me?" Sometime in the future.

And yet here we are, five years after my challenge to The God of Abraham, and I remain one of the luckiest little bastards that I know.

Either The God of Abraham is completely impotent or He doesn't exist or the ancient Arab tales that describe Him screwed the pooch regarding how much He gives a shit about the people who worship him. A whole lotta Bahamians worship this God....

What? Was He pissed off about how their tourism industry is raping the planet and more than willing to sacrifice them for Mar-a-lago and West Palm Beach?

The Arabs didn't migrate from North Africa to the middle east until the 3rd century AD, Islam didn't arrive until the 6th century.

What I believe is that those three story books originated in The Middle East. Those three ancient stories that still dominate religious practice AND conflict all across our shrinking world are a cancer to our further development as a free society.

I preach against The God of Abraham, as defined in The Torah, The New Testament and The Qur'an because I believe that the fewer people worshiping Him under ANY pretense or religion, the better for planet earth.

Between the Muslims wanting to kill those choosing not to convert and the Christians wanting to push their religious agenda in politics at the cost of freedom, enough is enough.

The Time to bury The God of Abraham and the ancient Arabs with Abraham and the ancient Arabs is upon us.

`

Why?

As I said, if you truly didn't believe, you wouldn't care. You make war against that which you fear, not that which you don't believe in.
I don't have to believe in the god in question to be convinced that billions of people are being led astray and in to conflict because of the religions that are centered on said god. To the contrary, I need to be pretty self-assured that the god in question is fictitious.
How are they being led astray?

I’m pretty sure the creator of existence can take care of himself. A better question is what does your assault on God say about you.

It says that I'm sick and fucking tired of seeing our society and our politics being so profoundly warped by the naive and the stubborn who still believe that it is their duty to push The God of Abraham, as defined in The Torah, The New Testament and/or The Qur'an as deeply in to our politics and our society as is possible.
Really? I haven’t seen that. Maybe you’re just overly sensitive. Are you on a JW mailing list or something? Are Mormons waiting to ambush you when you leave your house? Are you being chased by Evangelicals who are trying to give you a baptizing?

Last edited:
The OP is a moron. If you don't believe in something, you don't shake your fist at it and make challenges.

That's what I thought, but he's the one who said it. I mean did he really believe Losing My Religion was a religious song :777:? Originally, I was going to say if one is ignorant and doesn't know what to do, then do what my hero Blaise Pascal said and that was to take his Pascal's wager.

I know that Saul/Paul existed. Roman records clearly detail his activities and the cult he created. Spoiler alert: The Romans didn't like him.

The Romans may not have liked Paul, but it was Jesus who caused problems for the Pharisees. OTOH, I think Saul was on the fast track to become Pharisee leadership, so he was fine.

Funny that the Romans, who were so meticulous about record keeping NEVER spoke of Jesus, not that one anyway, they executed a San Hedren 200 years earlier named Yeshua, but literally nothing about the Nazarene. Pontius Pilot wasn't in Judea during the supposed events, it all just seems a bit, well, questionable....

The first-century Roman Tacitus, who is considered one of the more accurate historians of the ancient world, mentioned superstitious "Christians” who suffered under Pontius Pilate during the reign of Tiberius. Suetonius, chief secretary to Emperor Hadrian, wrote that there was a man named Chrestus who lived during the first century (Annals 15.44).

The Epistles of Paul would be strong evidence. The Bible is considered a non-fiction and historical source and there is plenty about Jesus in the NT. The writings of the Gospels about 100 years after Jesus' death is considered a good source. The Romans invaded Israel and destroyed Jerusalem and much of Israel, so many manuscripts were lost.

Ultimately though, I just don't much care.

There might be a god, I don't really know, but I do know that if there is a god, it's not the goat herder god, nor is it Gaia.

Uh, okay. People will believe what they want to believe. You already answered the OP's question.

`

Why?

You ever hear of a little conflict on planet earth called the Shiites -vs- the Sunnis?

You ever hear of a family or a little old lady giving more than they should to a jet-setting preacher with style and charisma?

The Worship Industry has enjoyed tax-free status for far too long in this country.

The Worship Industry has a record of abusing children.

Etc.

You need more, or is that astray enough?

`

This will not go well for you. God ingrained Karma into this world he created.

He has all the time in the world to make it happen, too.

Really? I haven’t seen that. Maybe you’re just overly sensitive. Are you on a JW mailing list or something? Are Mormons waiting to ambush you when you leave your house? Are you being chased by Evangelicals who are trying to give you a baptizing?
How about the simple fact that every politician in America MUST close every address or engagement with "... and God bless The United States of America." or they lose.

America is slowly but surely crawling out from under the influence of The Bible and this is a good thing. It's just taking a painfully long Time for me.

Time is precious.

This is why, when I find myself shouting something from a rooftop, it's usually trying to encourage people to bury The God of Abraham, as defined in The Torah, The New Testament and The Qur'an with the dusty Arabs who wrote those ancient tales, and to pursue instead a relationship with The God of (insert your name here).

I see SO much potential for our species! We just need to shake loose of the influence of those ancient, patriarchal tales.

`

Bring it.

:piss2:
Piss on The God of Abraham and the fucked up influence those three ancient books maintain on 21st Century Life.

What does G-d say about himself

Nothing. I have to rely on the written work of others. Honestly that is less reliable than a half baked religious nut job. I have no idea who even wrote those books thus I cannot identify their motive.

I will rely on what God says to me and follow His instructions exactly to a T. So far He has said nothing to me.

Have you ever bought any product, and needed to know how to make the product work? I bought some bluetooth headphones, and I had no idea how to pair them with my computer.

When that happens.... do you try and contact the CEO of the manufacturer? Or do you read the instructions?

Do you know specifically who wrote those instructions, and what their motivation was? I don't. Who knows who wrote those instructions. Could have been an intern on the job for only a week, who hates the company, but just wants to put this internship down on his resume and leave.

I still read the instructions.

All throughout the Bible, G-d speaks to his people through other people. First it was prophets and priests, then it was through apostles, and now through his book, and his church.

Now G-d has 'spoken' to me at times, like answers to prayers, sometimes even while I was still praying.

However, G-d has never audibly responded to me, with a voice.

I think I would ask myself, why do I demand that G-d answer me, the way that I want him to, and ignore his answers to me the way he wants to?

The Bible, and The Qur'an for that matter, were written by people. Some of their thoughts were practical then and now, some not so much, the Times in which they were written being a noteworthy context.

The question each of you must satisfy in the privacy of your own minds is: "Are those words inspired by God?"

Would God be so patriarchal, or is that just a reflection of the societies that contributed to The Books?

Would God have been that naive about the history and archeology which were so misunderstood at the Time?

Would God be that fucking cruel?

We don't need God to explain storms and earthquakes anymore. I may slap the next person to tell me how "blessed" we are here in south Florida because we got missed by Hurricane Dorian. If we got "blessed" by God, the Bahamas got fucked in the same executive order; and if that's what The God of Abraham is all about, fuck Him. I'll take my chances in hell.

`

The Koran was written by enslaved Jews at the point of a sword. The Warlord Muhammad was illiterate. He forced the Jews to fabricate a holy book to justify his savagery. They largely plagiarized the Torah and the prophets. The tone of the two is really quite different, one written largely by true believers, and the other written under duress.

Whose words? Your invisible friend?

The writer of Hebrews, Paul.
No proof Paul wrote anything. And where does a brown Arab guy get a name like Paul, that’s dumb.

Nonsense, there is a great deal of proof that Paul wrote everything. In fact the evidence points to Paul creating the Christian religion from a variety of sources, some Gnostic, some tradition myth, some Greek, some Sumerian. Paul took the tales and crafted a cohesive religion much like Joseph Smith and Jim Jones did. Paul became a very powerful man - until the Romans became irritated.....

`

Why?

You ever hear of a little conflict on planet earth called the Shiites -vs- the Sunnis?

You ever hear of a family or a little old lady giving more than they should to a jet-setting preacher with style and charisma?

The Worship Industry has enjoyed tax-free status for far too long in this country.

Etc.

And so you will force your beliefs on them at the point of a sword and declare yourself perfect.....

Sigh, the arrogance of Atheists....

`

Karma is wholly incompatible with Christianity. Karma assumes reincarnation, which is directly at odds with the concept of one life followed by judgement.

The title of this thread reminded me of these scenes from Forrest Gump. :D

Lt Dan raging and "waving his fist" at God in the middle of the storm and then later making his peace with God.

`

Why?

Etc.

You aren’t much of a big picture person are you?

I can see why you think everyone who belongs to a religion is an aggressor. But the reality is you are the only one throwing rocks right now, Joey.

But hey, that’s just in your militant atheist heritage right? Maybe we should give militant atheism another chance. They only murdered 200 million people in the 20th century. But I guess that’s too recent for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back